Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:31 PM

7 posts, read 23,403 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Bath, Maine and have loved living here. I have always felt like it's close enough (about 40 minutes) to Portland and Augusta for work, events, a night on the town, and big box shopping if you like that kind of thing, and close enough to I-95, the beaches and the midcoast for other Maine adventures.

Bath is small, about 6 miles by 1.5 miles, which gives us moderate density housing (high density for Maine) with many neighborhoods walking distance to a thriving downtown that has numerous shops where you can buy basic needs and gifts or accessories - a downtown diversity many Route 1 "tourist towns" lack. We're on the Kennebec River and a short drive to Reid and Popham State Parks, with lots of nature preserves and hiking trails in the area. Brunswick (an under 10 minute drive) is also thriving and has less of a small-town feel (to me) but anything you can't find here, you can find there or in Topsham. In some ways it's a tri-city area, but each one stands alone.

As for the kid's education - Physically, the school buildings need some help, which they will be getting this next year. In terms of teachers, our schools are wonderful with caring, involved employees. The Bath schools are undergoing regionalization with SAD47, some of our rural neighbors. I think this will allow for greater sharing of resources and will be much better for all of us in the long run. There may be a couple years of adjustment in between, but we have a great superintendent and committee planning the way.

Some people drive through Bath and just see BIW or the not-well-planned commercial Rt 1. You really need to get off the highway to find out what's going on here. Also check out Bath, Maine - A Main Street Community, Community and Visitor Information and City of Bath, Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 02:28 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
i've got to throw a few towns in the mix, poland, new gloucester, and auburn (southern part of auburn) , beautiful neighborhoods, the towns are clean, people are very friendly, and turnpike is nearby for quick travel.
auburn is only a half hr from portland,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine