Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:44 PM

96 posts, read 377,019 times

Advertisements

hmm thats interesting cause i just found out that potomac in montgomery county has high income white families. so fort washington has rich black folks and potomac has rich white folks. why the separation????? im starting to see alot of that here. maybe thats why theres alot of racial issues???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 05:55 PM

499 posts, read 668,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedea Jade View Post
hmm thats interesting cause i just found out that potomac in montgomery county has high income white families. so fort washington has rich black folks and potomac has rich white folks. why the separation????? im starting to see alot of that here. maybe thats why theres alot of racial issues???
Welcome to the land of the great east west divide. D.C. area is not as open and liberal as most think, especially when it comes to racial issues (or let me just be frank and say black white issues cause other ethnic/racial groups get treated much better). The line starts somewhere west of Silver Spring goes all the way through DC and the river forms the natural border as it continues southward.

The West treats the East like the red headed step child (even within Counties like Montgomery) and Federal government\GSA partakes in this ignorant behavior as well.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:44 AM

512 posts, read 1,636,278 times
I will agree with this sentiment. You wouldn't believe the looks when you tell your white co-workers you live in P.G. County. Or I get this they automatically assume cause your black that you must live in P.G. It's as if they think the place is a giant ghetto. It really isn't. Sometimes people have to turn off the news and come out of there little perfect world and cross the Potomac river. I promise you won't get shoot. Anyway there was a article in the Washington Pos on Congestion in the DC region. To back up TheJetSet's point, they mention a lot of development was was shifted to Virginia mainly do to race playing a factor. P.G. mainly Black and Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria Va mainly white. There are some gov't facilities in P.G. but not nearly the amount Northern Virginia has. D.C. Fairfax County, Arlington County, Alexandria, va and Montgomery County, MD are where your jobs are. Not very many jobs in P.G. This really needs to change, plus it will really be an effective plan in alleviating congestion in the area. A lot of Marylanders cross into the District and Northern Va for jobs. Thus this is the reason Route 66, 495 N from Maryland is always backed up in the morning.

To the op if and when you begin to travel around the area you will notice that P.G. really doesn't get congested nearly as bad and places in Northern Va or Interstate 270 in Montgomery County. That if your not counting Redskins home games. Anyway if you don't have kids you don't mind hanging around black folks then P.G. is a good option, as you can get a lot of house for the money. Plus there are places that are metro accessible. Just remember your going to pay more in taxes than any other area. So it all equals out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
Welcome to the land of the great east west divide. D.C. area is not as open and liberal as most think, especially when it comes to racial issues (or let me just be frank and say black white issues cause other ethnic/racial groups get treated much better). The line starts somewhere west of Silver Spring goes all the way through DC and the river forms the natural border as it continues southward.

The West treats the East like the red headed step child (even within Counties like Montgomery) and Federal government\GSA partakes in this ignorant behavior as well.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:25 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,542 times
Default Legacy

Quote:
The concentration of "racial issues" varies by geography. Inside the beltway you still have neighborhoods in Montgomery County (in places such as Bethesda-Chevy Chase) that had restrictive covenants prohibiting home sales to blacks and were very much segregated during Jim Crow. As a result, Montgomery County neighborhoods within the beltway tend to be close to 100% while PG County neighborhoods within the beltway are closer to being 100% black. It is not as if PG County wasn't segregated but Washington DC definitely was and blacks moving out of the southeast had a tendency to go to the Maryland area within the closest proximity.

But areas outside of the Beltway tend to be more diverse in both counties. Woodmore in PG County is the wealthiest black majority community in the U.S. and is nearly 1/3 non-black. Potomac in MoCo is about 1/4 non-white. However, Woodmore is much more white than Potomac is black. Also Potomac is over 7 times larger than Woodmore and has much higher median real estate values and median family incomes. But Montgomery County and PG County outside of the beltway may be among the most ethnically-integrated high income places in all of the United States but they will never make any "top" lists due to the intense segregation inside of the beltway. I suggest driving around suburban MoCo and PG County outside the beltway to determine if that level of integration is acceptable to you. If you go really far out in both MoCo and even PG County those areas are also nearly 100% white and actually quite conservative.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:52 PM

hmm some good points. im black and a military brat + vet. so im used to a mix. Id like to continue living in an area with a mix. im renting on a street that has black, white, latino and gays and i love it. if i ever do have kids i want them to be equally exposed to all things in life like i was.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:03 AM

27,573 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
hmm some good points. im black and a military brat + vet. so im used to a mix. Id like to continue living in an area with a mix. im renting on a street that has black, white, latino and gays and i love it. if i ever do have kids i want them to be equally exposed to all things in life like i was.
Silver Spring, Maryland sounds like a good fit for you based on everything you've said.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Silver Spring, Maryland sounds like a good fit for you based on everything you've said.
sweet. is that silver spring on the montgomery side or pg side or does it matter???

Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 PM

what about the oxon hill area???

Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Where it's really bad is in Prince George's County where it's not uncommon to pay in excess of 8,000+ that is for the good areas. However the homes prices are lower than most of the closer counties.
What in the? Is that specific to Prince George? I guess if that were true, that would explain why housing prices are a bit lower than anywhere else.

Can anyone else confirm that?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:21 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,663 times
Jadedea Jade,

Given what you say you are looking for: a large house, more than half an acre, within 20 minutes of metro, and under 500k, PG County might well fit your needs. Don't be too quick to accept stereotypes. Get out and see the DC, MD, and VA neighborhoods you're interested in for yourself. I started out looking at VA, MD, and DC and ultimately chose MD (Fort Washington). BTW, I am not an African American.

High taxes are a fact of life in the DC metropolitan area. DC, MD, and VA all have high tax burdens, but which works best for you will depend on your personal circumstances. There's a pretty good Washington Post article on this at: Who Pays More Taxes? Virginia, Maryland or D.C.? - Raw Fisher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland