Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 05:39 PM

544 posts, read 1,048,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I was just about to post something about this. The mosquitos in summer are legendary, trust me you do NOT want to deal with this problem. They may not be there in May but the ocean will be too cold for enjoyment that time of year IMO. There is a national park and a state park, I believe. One sprays for them the other does not. You need to check on this because you will be miserable if you go to the wrong place.
Definitely true about the ocean - in May its downright chilly. On the ocean side, the bugs aren't too bad as long as there is a breeze. Mosquitoes have a hard time flying in the wind, so you don't get them on the dune sites but you might on the sites closest to the road. I always camp on the ocean side.

I'm not sure if either of them spray for bugs, but the State park does not allow alcohol on its campgrounds so I've never camped there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,388,367 times
I live near Chincoteague, with Assateague Island being a barrier island. The Maryland access is more primitive for camping but, if you go to the VA side, about 8 miles south of the border, turn left and go another 8 miles, you'll be in one of my favorite towns, Chincoteague (pronounced Sheen-co-teeg). Island Creamery with home-made ice cream, good seafood, charter and pier fishing, and biking/hiking around the island to see the ponys and sitka deer and small town shops. In the winter, it's desolated, but in the summer it's hopping with birdwatchers and crabbing. Lots of dogs but none allowed on Assateague Island (they chase the birds and horses). The beach is clean with restrooms nearby. The pony penning/auction is on July 24 & 25 this year. People take lawn chairs early because the crowd (40,000) makes it almost too crowded to walk. Expect hot sun and the famous mosquitos. Driving across the 1 mile island could take over an hour and hotels are booked. Otherwise, be prepared, have reservations and bug spray, and a camera. You can rent anything (bikes, scooter cars and mopeds, boats, boogie boards...) You'll find it's one of the safest places you'll ever see. We never lock our doors or car. You'll see the red and white striped Assateague lighthouse and be close to Ocean City, MD (1.25 hr/56 miles), or can take a day to the Outter Banks (4 hrs from Kitty Hawk and Cape Hatteras, NC). See you there!

Old 01-26-2013, 01:47 PM

10,758 posts, read 23,861,094 times
This area sounds like my kind of beach. I love beaches that are just the beach devoid of concrete with only dunes, sea, and sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: