Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM

45 posts, read 71,807 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of taking the family to Assateague Island for a few days of camping and fun on the beach.We have never been there and would like to get some input or tips from some people who have.We will be going midweek,not on a weekend and was wondering what kind of crowds to expect.We are looking for something a little less crowded than the Nj beaches .We also would like to do some surf fishing,crabbing,and just plain old relaxing on the beach.Thanks for any help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:26 AM

201 posts, read 573,977 times
Ohh I use to love Assateague when I was younger! I haven't been in years so I don't know how much more popularity it's gain since I was younger, but I remember it was a very nice quiet place to go to. It was nothing like the Ocean City. Sure there are going to be a lot of families there but not nearly as many. You'll probably be able to go surf fishing and crabbing, but i'm sure there is a time limit on it, so you might want to ask about that. And I know if you want to fish over night you proably have to get a permit of sorts. I can't refer any spots to you because i've never done either unfortunately; but there will probably be staff on hand to assist you if need be. A friend of mine works there so you might see her; they're pretty helpful down there from what I hear. And the ponies will probably be out as well so watch where you step

This page will probably be more helpful than me
Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Maryland Park Service

Old 06-30-2011, 11:34 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,933,539 times
I go to Assateague Island for day trips every week in the summer (only go on weekdays--not weekends). One of my favorite beaches of all time. Not crowded at all, unless you happen to go during the annual pony swim. I avoid that week at all costs. This year, it's on July 27th. If you do want to see the ponies, do so by boat b/c the beach is packed and I doubt you'll see anything anyway. I do love to go shortly after the swim b/c you see so many of the wild ponies.

Re the beach itself: There are 3 or 4 lifeguards near the entrance, as you walk further down the beach, there aren't any. Just a heads up. Also, you'll see the occasional wild ponies--give them space, don't touch, pet, or feed. I've never had any type of issue with them at all. Fishing is allowed away from the primary swim area. I don't fish or crab so I don't know anything about the licenses/permits you'd need.

There is a very small shop with limited camping supplies and food/icecream. There is also a bathhouse/restroom. No restaurants, no boardwalk. Very relaxing.

Finally, if you decide to to visit Ocean City, you're only a few miles away. I think it's only about 10 minutes or so to drive to OC if you're so inclined.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:57 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Hi, I'm brainstorming ideas for a small group bike tour through Delmarva and was wondering whether or not you can bike the length of Assateague Island, from the Chincoteague entrance to the Maryland entrance. The National Park website says you cannot drive through, but it mentions bike trails and it looks like there's a marked road/trail on Google Maps (not sure if that's really a trail or not). Can you cycle (or cycle and dismount-and-walk several miles) to traverse the island?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Hi, I'm brainstorming ideas for a small group bike tour through Delmarva and was wondering whether or not you can bike the length of Assateague Island, from the Chincoteague entrance to the Maryland entrance. The National Park website says you cannot drive through, but it mentions bike trails and it looks like there's a marked road/trail on Google Maps (not sure if that's really a trail or not). Can you cycle (or cycle and dismount-and-walk several miles) to traverse the island?
No trails or real roads go the entire length of the island. Most of that "road" on Google Maps is sand.

You can traverse it in a 4x4 vehicle but you need a permit. Even then, the "road" ends at the VA state line and you can't go all the way from MD entrance to VA entrance.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
. Even then, the "road" ends at the VA state line and you can't go all the way from MD entrance to VA entrance.
Unless it's low tide (don't let any Rangers catch you doing this)

Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,072,655 times
Grady, you can get information on Assateague here Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor , including reports / opinions from people who've been there. One thing that I, and others I've talked to, remember unfortunately are the hordes of mosquitos.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,487 times
If you go in May or early June, there are no mosquitos.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:24 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
If you go in May or early June, there are no mosquitos.
I was just about to post something about this. The mosquitos in summer are legendary, trust me you do NOT want to deal with this problem. They may not be there in May but the ocean will be too cold for enjoyment that time of year IMO. There is a national park and a state park, I believe. One sprays for them the other does not. You need to check on this because you will be miserable if you go to the wrong place.

I've never camped there but we stay at a beach house in nearby Berlin and this is our beach. I can't say enough good things about the entire experience. I will take my bike and take a ride, looking at the wild ponies (you know about them, rigth?). Then I drop the bike at the truck, grab the beach chair, and head off. Can't think of a better way to spend a day.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:20 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,933,539 times
I spend many, many day son the Assateague beach and the mosquitoes have never been an issue for me enjoying the actual beach.

However, when I camp there, I always choose a beach side site as opposed to the bayside sites. The bay side is intolerable (IMHO) as far as the mosquitoes go. The beach side I can deal with--especially if there is a nice breeze. Speaking of critters, there are also sand fleas that hatch around mid-May. They annoy the heck out of me. All that being said, bug sprays and keeping your campsite secured as possible (zippered up, etc); really does help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: