Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Maryland's eastern shore southern?
Yes 5 35.71%
No 9 64.29%
Partially 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:35 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
I'm inclined to disagree, but only because I don't think Hampton Roads or Delaware is 'southern' either.

I'd lump the coastal metropolitan areas from basically Wilmington NC north to about Vineland, NJ and at least 30 miles east of I-95 as a sort of mid-Atlantic region in itself. 'Tidewater', you might say.

From New Hanover County, NC, up to Morehead City NC, including Eastern NC (New Bern/Williamston/Washington/E.City/OBX), Hampton Roads, Eastern Shore VA, Eastern Shore MD, Kent and Sussex Counties DE and southern south Jersey (which can be more redneck and/or southern than any of the aforementioned areas). I've never been to Richmond County, VA or Westmoreland County, VA, but I would assume they are quite similar.

These areas and the people who inhabit them have far more in common with each other than traditionally northern or southern regions, or even the rest of their state.

So no, I don't consider the eastern shore of Maryland to be southern, but I also don't consider far eastern NC or be either.
So you think Wilmington has more in common with Vineland or Cape May than Myrtle Beach or Charleston?

I can see the Outer Banks being considered Tidewater, but I think Wilmington is a bit too far south for that designation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 12:48 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Somebody has a few extra C-D accounts . How else could "no" outnumber "yes" by four votes?

Because all that many people know about the Eastern Shore is Ocean City. The drive down the peninsula is the vacationer's equivalent of "flyover country".

Old 06-08-2016, 02:02 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So you think Wilmington has more in common with Vineland or Cape May than Myrtle Beach or Charleston?

I can see the Outer Banks being considered Tidewater, but I think Wilmington is a bit too far south for that designation.
Perhaps Wilmington could go either way, I'll give you that. That place has changed quite a bit on the past 15 years, and yes I'd certainly say its the southernmost mid-Atlantic/Tidewater city more than the northernmost southern city.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
An interesting thought. Not sure I agree completely. The region you describe does exist, but it is hard for me not to see it as a subset of Southern culture. What would you call it "The Back Bay Region?"

FWIW, Kurath found the areas you describe (more or less) to be a dialect region.
That's a fun map thanks for sharing! Back Bay sounds fine to me, but reminds me of Boston haha.

I wouldn't say its a subset of southern culture, more of a culture in its own right.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Perhaps Wilmington could go either way, I'll give you that. That place has changed quite a bit on the past 15 years, and yes I'd certainly say its the southernmost mid-Atlantic/Tidewater city more than the northernmost southern city.
What makes Wilmington mid-Atlantic/Tidewater in your view? And why wouldn't that include Myrtle Beach, which is actually growing into Wilmington? Metro Myrtle Beach actually snagged an NC county away from metro Wilmington according to the 2010 Census numbers.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:47 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because all that many people know about the Eastern Shore is Ocean . The drive down the peninsula is the vacationer's equivalent of "flyover country".
This is true, but many of us see the other side of OC, which for the majority of the year is a local oriented eastern shore town, nothing like the DE beaches.

Once you get to Dewey and above, it feels more like South jersey. Bethany, Indian River area is more like eastern NC and OC is more like VA beach. I'm sure many, especially the Secrets and Fagers crowd, may disagree but that is how I see it.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
What makes Wilmington mid-Atlantic/Tidewater in your view? And why wouldn't that include Myrtle Beach, which is actually growing into Wilmington? Metro Myrtle Beach actually snagged an NC county away from metro Wilmington according to the 2010 Census numbers.
Wilmington is continuing to evolve into a more passively conservative area, similar to that of Hampton Roads and Maryland's Eastern Shore, and has a far, far more industrialized and professionalized economic base than that of Myrtle Beach. They also tend to be at strange odds of sorts with the rest of "North Carolina" and all it entails, just like the other aforementioned areas.

I'm actually surprised you find them so similar, although if you opinion is mostly based on proximity, I totally understand.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Wilmington is continuing to evolve into a more passively conservative area, similar to that of Hampton Roads and Maryland's Eastern Shore, and has a far, far more industrialized and professionalized economic base than that of Myrtle Beach. They also tend to be at strange odds of sorts with the rest of "North Carolina" and all it entails, just like the other aforementioned areas.

I'm actually surprised you find them so similar, although if you opinion is mostly based on proximity, I totally understand.
I'm not saying that Wilmington and Myrtle Beach are very similar; as you pointed out, their economic bases are pretty different. But culturally, they aren't very different overall and both are attractive tons of transplants, mainly retirees. And how exactly is Wilmington "at strange odds of sorts" with the rest of the state, especially since you're saying it is evolving into a more passively conservative area and NC has taken a pretty hard turn to the right in recent years? That statement is more true of Charlotte (as evidenced by HB2), the Triangle, and Asheville than Wilmington.

I don't really see how Wilmington is culturally like the Tidewater region. It is technically part of the Geechee-Gullah Heritage Corridor, although very few vestiges of that culture remain in the area from what I understand.

Roots of N.C. Gullah Geechee culture start on Eagles Island | StarNewsOnline.com

https://gullahgeecheenation.com/2014...ingtons-ashes/

Wilmington is better grouped with the likes of Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Savannah than Hampton Roads and the Eastern Shore IMO.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:25 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,054,832 times
Quote:
Yeah, I agree that Wilmington is too far south. NJ isn't "tidewater" IMO, either. The dialect is different there and it's too Italian and connected to Philadelphia. Cecil and New Castle counties and perhaps down to Dover would be taken out as well.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:33 AM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
I was reminded of these threads today, when I came across a public Facebook page- 'Maryland is a Southern State'.
If interested in Maryland's Southern pedigree, or MD's contemporary Southern culture.. look the page up ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland