Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 10:42 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times

Advertisements

There has been a lot of discussion about economic development in rural communities around the state. Many area's in rural parts of Maryland are hurting from an economic development standpoint and posters on city-data have been voicing their frustration about Plan Maryland and the focus on the Washington-Baltimore urban area's of the state versus the rural area's of the state. I told "Westsideboy" that I would do some research about plans that have been implemented in small towns for revitalization and economic development. From the research I have done, the case studies have broken up into different plans based on the unique characteristics of that particular town. One thing that is very different about small town economic development compared to large city economic development is the focus on community development. That includes short-range and long-range strategies which is a long-term and transformative process. This is recognized more in community development circles than in economic development circles. Successful small towns tend to balance short-term economic gains with longer-term community development goals.

If you would like to know what kind of economic development strategies can be implemented for your particular city/town based on case studies from similar towns, I need you to post the following information:

1. City/Town Name
2. County Name
3. Population
4. Which category does your city/town fall under
5. Any limitations or strengths that are unique to your particular city/town

Here are the categories, which category does your city/town fall under:

-Small towns that are recreation or retirement destinations
or adjacent to an abundance of natural assets

-Small towns with historic downtowns or prominent cultural or heritage assets

-Small towns with or adjacent to a college campus

-Small towns adjacent to a metropolitan area or an interstate highway

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-27-2011 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 AM

7,022 posts, read 11,320,211 times
Thanks for the thread.

1. Cumberland
2. Allegany
3. 20k in the city, about 68k in the county (when you exclude the non-incarcerated)
4. We have all of the 4 traits you mention.
5. Special concerns would be having two more business friendly states within 5 miles our city limits. Being cut off from the economic engine of the rest of the state, and thus having a state government gearing its policies towards strengths that don't exist in our city (proximity to D.C. being foremost among them.)

Lastly, I would say a special challenge is having a community is going to be inherently skeptical of outsiders and change in general. We have been burned many times by carpetbaggers coming to town promising jobs, or new housing, or all manner of things only to have them disappear. Any changes that are to come from outside our communities have to be done in a manner that allow community input, transparency and local partners, or the natives will balk.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:35 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Thanks for the thread.

1. Cumberland
2. Allegany
3. 20k in the city, about 68k in the county (when you exclude the non-incarcerated)
4. We have all of the 4 traits you mention.
5. Special concerns would be having two more business friendly states within 5 miles our city limits. Being cut off from the economic engine of the rest of the state, and thus having a state government gearing its policies towards strengths that don't exist in our city (proximity to D.C. being foremost among them.)

Lastly, I would say a special challenge is having a community is going to be inherently skeptical of outsiders and change in general. We have been burned many times by carpetbaggers coming to town promising jobs, or new housing, or all manner of things only to have them disappear. Any changes that are to come from outside our communities have to be done in a manner that allow community input, transparency and local partners, or the natives will balk.
Ok, I will find some plans and strategies for Cumberland based on the information you have posted and post what I find.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:04 PM

45,427 posts, read 60,623,477 times
The Holy Grail in MD is "re-development". That has different meanings to different people.

Too many prospective business people go into it under financed, with grandiose plans, ignoring market studies (which can be messed with by political pressure), want to sell what they want to instead of what the community wants/needs, etc.

Some businesses I've dealt with in the last year or so:
A florist who would not subscribe to either TeleFlora or FTD. He also wouldn't spend $3000 for a cooler to service a long term contract which would have netted him $100K/year. The cooler was too expensive.
A pastry shop that didn't open until 10AM.
A convenience store where the hours were 9-5.
A restaurant that opened for Sunday Brunch at 2PM.
A landlord that doubled the rent on a long term tenant who then walked and bought the aforementioned florists's building (she overpaid but that's another thread).

All of these folks are blaming the Town for their lack of success. They don't take into account their own business decisions, lack of planning or the fact that most of them went out of their way to antagonize locals. They than can't figure out why, when the beach/fishing seasons are over they have no customers.

Give me business people that have some brains.

Also, some towns will never have a business presence and will always be bedroom communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland