Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:36 PM

21 posts, read 49,548 times

Advertisements

Ok Let Me clarify better sorry It would be all of Carroll County or Bultimore County. Something I read said Sykesvills was a good place but willing to look in both countys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 02:56 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,693 times
Okay, that covers huge variety in price, lifestyle, etc. Perhaps a useful metric for starters is what price range? Both counties have a fairly large scale from boondocks rural to mansions (more so the latter in Baltimore county than Carroll).

Old 08-15-2012, 03:04 PM

Southern Carroll/Sykesville is a growth area. The current population is a mix of middle class trades, professionals who commute to out of county jobs and a few farmers. Go north and west and you get farms (both agricultural and horses) and genuine boonies. Northern Baltimore county has a lot of old line horse farms, rich folks and a smattering of farmers, with Towson & Cockysville having their own ex-urb flavor (apartments, etc.)

In general, BC is more expensive than Carroll but that is a very generalized quick shot. Carroll is better suited for folks who may go both ways - south to Columbia/DC or east to Baltimore. The Frederick area (Frederick county) is also a growth area, has lots of DC employed people. BC is mostly folks commuting to the Baltimore City general area. Again - commuting is a real consideration (and has a huge impact on housing costs) in this area. Obviously where your potential employment is located could have a large impact on desired locations. I'm sorry I can't provide better information at this level of input.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:26 PM

All that info is very helpful. Its not so much to prices of the homes. For me is Bringing my family closer together. Living better where we go then we do here. I have been looking at the houses and the older homes with land that is running for $300 to $500 would run for about a millon here. The food is cheaper, gas is cheaper, and the all around cost of living is better then here. Also just looking for a better out come of life for my family.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 PM

Then I think you can find a satisfactory outcome in the Carroll/Baltimore/Frederick/Howard county areas. In general, its been a very nice place for my family and, as noted previously, its our retirement location choice. The general area has IMO, a lot to offer.

Excellent schools, rather healthy economy even with the recent downturn (comparatively), the beach/Chesapeake Bay and "Eastern size" mountains available for outdoor activities, world class cultural activities, superb medical/health availability, some excellent State & private universities & colleges, --- I could keep going on, we like here .

You've a choice from rural to ex-urb to city type environments within a relatively small distance. Acquaintances of ours live 15 minutes from us on a 100+ acre horse farm and often join us for trips to the Kennedy Center in DC or the Baltimore Inner Harbor - lots to do around here. The area population has a fairly high degree of education and its hard not to find a interesting vibe of one's choice ethnically or the major religious communities, they are all pretty well represented.

In summary, I wouldn't hesitate to relocate here if I were just starting out or already established family-wise, as I did almost 30 years ago. I'm confident you can find a suitable location/environment whatever your requirements. I wouldn't apply that opinion to less than a middle class income level but otherwise, thats my opinion. Hope it helps and feel free to ask any other questions as you care to.

One footnote, we're leaving shortly for a month in Europe and Internet availability can be sketchy so I may not respond timely if you post Qs in the short term, but I will respond. Best of luck in your search.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:26 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Hi Mrs. Edwards, welcome to the board. As a resident I feel I need to stick up for Carroll County a bit. Pilgrim obviously gave a very good overview but I guess we still have a few unanswered questions: Are you a "city" person or a "country" person? That kind of matters when making this suggestion. As for Sykesville, yes it has developed quite a bit but it's still country IMO and that's a good think again IMO. But if you are more interested in being closer to more things then you may want to consider Balt County, although I am guessing the schools are not nearly as good and that is obviously a priority for you.

Agreed on downtown Sykesville. It really is beautiful and there are a few really good spots to eat, one at the old train station that is a really good restaurant and another that is more of a sports bar. But other than that not much. The real sprawl has occurred in the next town over, Eldersburg. With that comes shopping, more restaurants etc. but it would not be a place I would chose to live If I were in your shoes I'd look at Westminster. But then again I love the small town main street thing and even though Westminster is much larger than the other 2 towns it has a great main street that feels small town.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:44 AM

Pilgrim if you ever need a house sitter just let me know I would be more then happy to help u out. lol :0)

Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 AM

I have heard a lot of good things about Howard. Im going to have to check it out.
Davein, I beleave we are more of the country feel type of people. Love to play in the sun all day if we could, watch the kids and the dogs play and run around together, gardening, hiking, biking, camping, playing at the beach, swimming (my kids are fish I cant get them out), We still need the city for r jobs but dont want to live in it. School is my number one for my kids. I think that will have a big influence on where we will plant are roots.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:06 AM

Oh P.S. what is the IMO?

Old 08-17-2012, 10:39 AM

7,012 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsEdwards10 View Post
I have heard a lot of good things about Howard. Im going to have to check it out.
Davein, I beleave we are more of the country feel type of people. Love to play in the sun all day if we could, watch the kids and the dogs play and run around together, gardening, hiking, biking, camping, playing at the beach, swimming (my kids are fish I cant get them out), We still need the city for r jobs but dont want to live in it. School is my number one for my kids. I think that will have a big influence on where we will plant are roots.
This may be a very stupid question, but does California have "rural people" the same way the East Coast does? Rural areas on the East Coast are populated largely by people that have roots that stretch back generations, often times to the intial settlement of the areas. Most of these areas are very conservative, guns, God, and GOP type of folks. People often call these folks "rednecks" or other terms.

Is it the same in California?

I only ask because if you move to a true rural area in Maryland, you are going to be around mostly native born conservatives who have their own social circles, churches, family nearby, etc. It isn't always a good fit for outsiders who want to simply transplant their existing beliefs and way of life in new soil, not that this is you, but it is something to consider.

The ghosts of old threads speak volumes of disenchanted transplants that are drawn in by rural landscapes, buy a house, then complain endlessly about the natives that already inhabit the area.

Last edited by westsideboy; 08-17-2012 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland