Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:56 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaEscritora View Post
Let's see, he comes from money but doesn't like to flaunt it. He works in the entertainment industry and is extremely well connected. He went to an Ivy League college (as a legacy, natch) and rowed crew.
Then I would suggest a waterfront location - St Michaels - Oxford - Royal Oak

MARYLAND WATERFRONT PROPERTY REAL ESTATE FROM THE BAY TO THE BEACH - Search Results (http://www.marylandwaterfrontpropertyuppershore.com/content/searchresult.html?proptype=W&minprice=&maxprice=&b ed=&full=&citylist=MD+BOZMAN%2CMD+NEAVITT%2CMD+OXF ORD%2CMD+ROYAL+OAK%2CMD+SAINT+MICHAELS&county=&sta te=&search_by=countylist - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:01 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,555,611 times
"Let's see, he comes from money but doesn't like to flaunt it. He works in the entertainment industry and is extremely well connected. He went to an Ivy League college (as a legacy, natch) and rowed crew.

These are things that I associate with the East (old money, crew, etc) and I apologize for any stereotyping. I'm from the Midwest, LOL."

That description sounds more like someone that would've moved to this area possibly from the NORTHeast. That would not be a typical native Marylander. We do more sailing and fishing than rowing crew. And I don't think Maryland is the mecca for the entertainment world.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:17 PM

382 posts, read 1,206,199 times
You might also want to consider the area north of Baltimore. That's where the horsey set is. I tend to think of this area as being more old money than the DC area, which I see as more transient and connected to the government. The thing is, these place names probably wouldn't have the same name recognition as the others you've been given. These areas would be Hunt Valley, Cockeysville, Lutherville, Stevenson and closer in, Ruxton and Roland Park.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:31 PM

42 posts, read 132,004 times
How about Highlandtown in Baltimore City? That's where Diner was filmed and so was John Water's movies. Hairspray is about Baltimore teen-agers in the 50's. Serial Mom was filmed in Baltimore County in Towson. Barry Levinson and John Waters both love Baltimore City and Baltimore County for filming. Don't forget the series Homicide was filmed in Baltimore a couple of years ago.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:59 PM

7 posts, read 30,697 times
Potomac -- esp. because he rowed crew, he would be close to the river

Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 PM

92 posts, read 409,572 times
Wow! You guys have given me a ton of options. Now I just have to go research them!

So, if crew isn't popular in Maryland what is?

PS Yes, I know that Maryland isn't the entertainment capital of the world. The story takes place in LA, the character is from Maryland.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:32 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,555,611 times
Possibly Hunt Clubs, Polo, Steeplechase races--horsey type things, lol.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:52 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaEscritora View Post
So, if crew isn't popular in Maryland what is?

Sailboats - Yachts - Speed Boats

Inside Annapolis | Past Issues

Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,842 times
Lacrosse, too.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,424 times
The character sounds a bit of a transplant, but you could work it sort of like this:

Son of a foreign service officer who was stationed back at State or CIA, growing up in Potomac (or Chevy Chase). Attended Georgetown Prep (or Landon) for high school where they played lacrosse. Moved on to an Ivy league school where they were noticed because they were very tall and asked to try out for the crew team. Did their summers on the Eastern Shore in Oxford or Stevensville or Annapolis learning how to sail.

Got involved with student media at Yale and was able to work for a big network news group in Washington thanks to dad's connections. Took that opportunity to break into the entertainment industry (which is really a bit more NY though) and ran with it.

Or something like that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland