Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:21 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,683 times

Advertisements

With as pitiful Maryland seems to be in contrast to the rest of the nation, would it really be an insult to not have Baltimore associated with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 11:39 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,851,427 times
I can see people saying it's not the real MD. After all, a lot of transplants that come to this state live in MOCO so how can it be a sampling of the real MD when a large percentage of the county's population isn't even from the state? On the other hand the ones I know from that county have had family there for generations and are more in line with the part of the state I associate with. And to me, they are as real a part of MD as you can get.

Personally, I try not to associate with that part of the state. I am from PG county originally but got out of there in the 80's. Every time I go back to that area I notice a big difference in comparison to the rest of the state and it seems to be spreading out.

Now in defense of Montgomery county, the last time I took a drive out towards western MD along the Potomac, I was surprised at how rural and pretty of an area it still was by being so close to a major city which has done nothing but expand.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
So because its less white its going downhill? Riiiight... I don't think so. The emergence of a dense urban Red-line corridor from Bethesda to White Flint to Rockville will strengthen MoCo even further.

Silver Spring is getting better, Wheaton is getting better.

Sorry but you are way off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Montgomery County isn't a perfect representative of Maryland, but it's better than, say, Worcester or Garrett Counties. Montgomery County and pockets of neighboring counties are strongly influenced by DC, which has its own little unique subculture. However, it is true that most of the population of Maryland is liberal. Get over it.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, AeroGuyDC - if anything, Montgomery County around I-270 is getting better.
You and other folks on this thread see development, and automatically think that things are hunky-dorey. Meanwhile, 33% of Montgomery County kids qualify for Free and Reduced Meals. A whopping 1/3 in one of the most affluent counties in the nation and the numbers are increasing. So while you may feel insulated by the mere fact that Montgomery County is Montgomery County, the statistics don't back up your obvious belief the MontCo is a model county who will never see the ill effects of lowest common denominator immigration and other ills that come with unchecked liberal polices.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:45 PM

607 posts, read 1,373,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You and other folks on this thread see development, and automatically think that things are hunky-dorey. Meanwhile, 33% of Montgomery County kids qualify for Free and Reduced Meals. A whopping 1/3 in one of the most affluent counties in the nation and the numbers are increasing. So while you may feel insulated by the mere fact that Montgomery County is Montgomery County, the statistics don't back up your obvious belief the MontCo is a model county who will never see the ill effects of lowest common denominator immigration and other ills that come with unchecked liberal polices.
I myself am an Asian immigrant who's lived in MoCo, Bethesda then Gaithersburg (and still live there, in a way - long story), and my family's pretty well integrated. Most immigrants here seem to be doing well, especially along I-270. The reason why many kids qualify for free and reduced meals is because while the areas around I-270 are improving, the rest of the county has stayed the same, yet still has to keep up with raised taxes (the one and only liberal policy I don't agree with). However, saying that immigrants and people who've moved within the country to MoCo caused the problem is incorrect, as MoCo is still getting better overall (yes, I-270 is that important).

Wheaton and Silver Spring are even getting better due to gentrification.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Most people in Montgomery County do not associate with Maryland just like many Northern Virginians dont' really call themselves Virginians. IF you ask someone from MoCo where they're from most likely they'll say they are from DC, not "Maryland".

And yet despite this, Montgomery County controls the state of Maryland politically. Now all of us have to see a gas tax increase just so they can build the Purple Line. And all of us saw the toll hikes just so they can have the ICC.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
There are more and more illegal immigrants in Montgomery too as well as PG, a LOT more than in the Baltimore area. Many of the politicians in MoCo support illeegal immigration and actuallly Montgomery College gave in-county tuition to the illegals before the passage of the illegal alien Dream Act.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:46 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Most people in Montgomery County do not associate with Maryland just like many Northern Virginians dont' really call themselves Virginians. IF you ask someone from MoCo where they're from most likely they'll say they are from DC, not "Maryland".
It is possible to identify with both. Most people I know who live in Montgomery County consider themselves to be Marylanders as well as Washingtonians or "DC area" residents.

Also, keep in mind that the current boundaries of Washington, D.C. used to be entirely a part of Maryland once upon a time.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 04-13-2013 at 09:13 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

And yet despite this, Montgomery County controls the state of Maryland politically. Now all of us have to see a gas tax increase just so they can build the Purple Line. And all of us saw the toll hikes just so they can have the ICC.
What does that even mean?? How does one "associate" with a state? I spend almost all of my non-working time here. Most of my money gets spent here. Am I "associating" with MD? Its just BS to try to paint us as "others" to justify demonization of MoCo. Sorry we are MD and you are stuck with us as long as you live in this state.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:11 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
What does that even mean?? How does one "associate" with a state? I spend almost all of my non-working time here. Most of my money gets spent here. Am I "associating" with MD? Its just BS to try to paint us as "others" to justify demonization of MoCo. Sorry we are MD and you are stuck with us as long as you live in this state.
I have known some Montgomery County people to outright reject any "Maryland" association at all.

Here is a conversation I had with one guy

Q: "Aren't you from Maryland?"
A: "No. I live in Silver Spring.
Q: 'Oh, so you are a Washingtonian?"
A: "No, the Washingtonian is a magazine. I am a DCite."

Granted this same guy was scared to death when he came to visit me in Cumberland because he saw some pro-gun bumper stickers on trucks. His world has very little to do with Maryland, and everything to do to with greater D.C.

But, that is just one perspective. Any county that large is going to have a variety of opinions and identity.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:18 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,122 times
As someone who has lived in Baltimore (in the city) and Montogomery county (literally the other side of my street was the DC border), IMO the 'real maryland' is howard or anne arundel county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland