Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times

Advertisements

Arundel High's black student population actually does pretty well. But you guys don't care about that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 10:50 PM

411 posts, read 901,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Arundel High's black student population actually does pretty well. But you guys don't care about that fact.
1. Arundel doesn't have too many black students as it is a majority white school.
2. I'm sure that as a whole, the black student body at Arundel scores below every other demographic in that school. If this is not the case, then Arundel is truly an exception to the norm. A huge exception.
3. What do you mean "you guys don't care about that fact." ? Of course people care. But people are tired of the AA community always underperforming in school while always looking for excuses to keep failing. I'm just calling it what it is. I'm not trying to sugar coat this. Sugar coating these problems over the last 30 years has just led to more serious problems in the AA community. Oxon Hill just got a brand new beautiful school to send their thugs to. This won't help anybody. It's just a waste of money. They will still be a 2 on greatschools because they won't pass their tests. Lipstick on a pig. It's the AA community that doesn't care. I do care.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
1. Arundel doesn't have too many black students as it is a majority white school.
2. I'm sure that as a whole, the black student body at Arundel scores below every other demographic in that school. If this is not the case, then Arundel is truly an exception to the norm. A huge exception.
3. What do you mean "you guys don't care about that fact." ? Of course people care. But people are tired of the AA community always underperforming in school while always looking for excuses to keep failing. I'm just calling it what it is. I'm not trying to sugar coat this. Sugar coating these problems over the last 30 years has just led to more serious problems in the AA community. Oxon Hill just got a brand new beautiful school to send their thugs to. This won't help anybody. It's just a waste of money. They will still be a 2 on greatschools because they won't pass their tests. Lipstick on a pig. It's the AA community that doesn't care. I do care.
I'm sure you do.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I'm sure you do.
Yep. I do.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:54 PM

11 posts, read 27,806 times
Arundel actually does have academically outstanding black students. they've been trying to eliminate the achievement gap lately. Like I said, there are some terrible white schools out there too. And like I said, a high school is not just one standarized test. I do not lok at that. Arundel is actualy really good, and one of the best in the county when it comes to test scores. A lot of people think that since Broadneck and Severna Park are rich schools, they must be the best. Because money totally makes a school good, right? Newsflash, it doesn't. And Broadneck has an average income that's just as high as Arundel's. Gambrills actually had a higher average income than Severna Park in 2010. Just because a school has a few black kids doesn't mean I shouldn't send my child there. Look at schools at Northeast. Northeast isn't the richest school, but they're still pretty good. Just because a school isn't Bethesda perfect doesn't mean it's bad. I'd rather send my daughter to a welcoming school like Arundel, than to a snobby school in Bethesda, where they feel everyone who doesn't live there, Potomac, Chevy-Chase or Columbia is unfortunate. Arundel also has a more interesting and rich history than all the other schools. Being founded in 1854, it's also one of the oldest public schools in the nation. Arundel has many proud alumni still alive today dating all the way back from the 50's. You can meet people today who graduated from Arundel in the 50's-70's who are proud wildcats, and happy to tell you how much they love the school, I think that's something special. Arundel has been there and done that. All these other schools are just newbie's who have no history, just competition. The staff and students at Arundel gave my daughter a warm welcoming. She always comes home telling me how sweet the people are and how they make her feel better about herself. She is also going to be joining the drama club. Just because a schoo isn't #1 in the state doesn't mean it's ghetto. Just because a school is only like 25% black doesn't mean it's terrible. If you think Arundel is majority black, then you clearly have never been to the campus, and have never had anything to do with the school. Arundel is a majority WHITE school. Please get your facts straight before posting. Everyone that's been involved with Arundel likes it. It's usually people who have never been near the school who perceive it as ghetto because they have no knowledge whatsoever about the school. It's just like how people think Broadneck and Severna Park are so outstanding because they have high incomes. but in reality, they have never stepped foot anywhere near either school. lately, Severna Park and Broadneck have had lots of suicide problems. That matters more than how many kids on probation there are at a school. I think that says a lot about those schools.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochip21 View Post
Arundel actually does have academically outstanding black students. they've been trying to eliminate the achievement gap lately. Like I said, there are some terrible white schools out there too. And like I said, a high school is not just one standarized test. I do not lok at that. Arundel is actualy really good, and one of the best in the county when it comes to test scores. A lot of people think that since Broadneck and Severna Park are rich schools, they must be the best. Because money totally makes a school good, right? Newsflash, it doesn't. And Broadneck has an average income that's just as high as Arundel's. Gambrills actually had a higher average income than Severna Park in 2010. Just because a school has a few black kids doesn't mean I shouldn't send my child there. Look at schools at Northeast. Northeast isn't the richest school, but they're still pretty good. Just because a school isn't Bethesda perfect doesn't mean it's bad. I'd rather send my daughter to a welcoming school like Arundel, than to a snobby school in Bethesda, where they feel everyone who doesn't live there, Potomac, Chevy-Chase or Columbia is unfortunate. Arundel also has a more interesting and rich history than all the other schools. Being founded in 1854, it's also one of the oldest public schools in the nation. Arundel has many proud alumni still alive today dating all the way back from the 50's. You can meet people today who graduated from Arundel in the 50's-70's who are proud wildcats, and happy to tell you how much they love the school, I think that's something special. Arundel has been there and done that. All these other schools are just newbie's who have no history, just competition. The staff and students at Arundel gave my daughter a warm welcoming. She always comes home telling me how sweet the people are and how they make her feel better about herself. She is also going to be joining the drama club. Just because a schoo isn't #1 in the state doesn't mean it's ghetto. Just because a school is only like 25% black doesn't mean it's terrible. If you think Arundel is majority black, then you clearly have never been to the campus, and have never had anything to do with the school. Arundel is a majority WHITE school. Please get your facts straight before posting. Everyone that's been involved with Arundel likes it. It's usually people who have never been near the school who perceive it as ghetto because they have no knowledge whatsoever about the school. It's just like how people think Broadneck and Severna Park are so outstanding because they have high incomes. but in reality, they have never stepped foot anywhere near either school. lately, Severna Park and Broadneck have had lots of suicide problems. That matters more than how many kids on probation there are at a school. I think that says a lot about those schools.
Well I hope you aren't referring to me. A couple of posts back you will see that I said Arundel was majority WHITE.

If you look further back you will see that I said Arundel is a great school.

I graduated from Broadneck when it was a pretty new school. I graduated in 91, 7 years after their 1st graduating class. Broadneck is now over 30 years old. Not nearly as old as Arundel but building a very good history as we speak. Severna Park is a very old school dating back to the 50's so there is some history there too.

I would still send my kid to a 25% black school or even a 50% black school as long as the school was passing their tests and the behavior of the students was good. The problem is, in most cases, that the blacker a school gets, the worse the school gets in terms of test scores and behavioral issues. This has less to do with $ than people like to admit. See PG county's rich/upper/middle class neighborhoods and what crappy schools they have. To say tests scores are not important is stupid. Like I said before, these tests are basic grade level material. If the kids aren't learning then what are they doing instead?

I went to Elementary school and 1 year of Junior High in PG County. I went to school with many good black students. In fact, most were good kids who did well to fairly well in school and were respectful of the teachers. I don't know what happened over there but I definitely know that there are great black students out there. Obviously, it's not all black kids. However, the numbers don't lie. Schools with the highest concentrations of AA students perform worse academically than do schools with other demographics. Poor, immigrant Hispanics even do better in school collectively than the average AA student of ANY income. Why is Black America not pissed? Why are they not fixing this? Why is this not 1st on their list? Why is it getting worse? Instead it seems they want to complain that the tests aren't "geared" toward black kids. Whatever! Raise your children right. Cures so many problems just doing that. Raise your children right, both mom and dad. Stress school work. Basic stuff.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:14 AM

503 posts, read 807,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
Actually, blacks are over represented in the school population compared to the county as a whole.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 AM

503 posts, read 807,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochip21 View Post
Severna Park and Broadneck have had lots of suicide problems. That matters more than how many kids on probation there are at a school. I think that says a lot about those schools.
Define "lots".

Be sure you're accurate....very sure.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
Actually, blacks are over represented in the school population compared to the county as a whole.
yes the school is 26% black. all this tells me is that it's quite disturbing how black students perform throughout the rest of the state. obviously, they can pass their standardized tests when in an environment conducive to learning. What's Friendly's excuse. What's Annapolis excuse? What is Meade's excuse? oxon hill? Crossland? heck, all PG schools.

Arundel rates at a 9 on greatschools with a 26% black student body. That is rare. so rare that you can't find another school in Md. with that high of a percentage of black students that receive that high of a score. Not even close. Roosevelt, the pride of PG, is ranked a 5. Arundel is an exception that needs to be the norm. Still, the school is 70% white and Asian and I'm sure it's helping the average a little.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:20 AM

631 posts, read 1,396,509 times
You cant compare Annapolis and Meade to any PG Schools...Again Apples and Oranges.

Annapolis and Meade have a higher black concentration but overall still are better schools than PG County. There are parents that say Meade has changed from the "black eye" they received in the 90s. It is an IB school I believe Annapolis and some other schools in AA County have IB programs also. Also as stated before 1 concentration of a rough area in AA County that goes to Meade doesnt make the school where you have Upper Middle and Middle Class areas of Odenton, Hanover, Severn, Laurel (AA Side) that attend there. Also has anyone think that sometimes kids are just not that good on taking Standardized Tests??? The same kids black and white, that are NOT good at taking standardized tests graduate at the top 1/3 of their class, attend college on a scholarships and grants, are in their Honors Programs, and GRADUATE from college. So that same person that went to school "A" where it was the best in school in the county goes out the window come college when they are in classes with kids from School "B" and School "C"

They type of work I do I have colleagues that went to Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Montgomery Blair, Northwood, Howard High, etc. I went to HS on the Eastern Shore, with a majority black population, yet graduated at the highest of my class, but I guess Im supposed to be a hillbilly with no education huh??

Kids that attend schools that have average tests scores actually do attend good Universities in the State such as UMD, Towson, Salisbury. Some attend VCU, UVA, Mason, ODU, etc. I know some parents that had their child graduate from Meade and attend NYU, UMD, Ohio State, Virginia Wesleyan, etc.

Last edited by EducatedBro82; 08-30-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland