Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:28 AM

578 posts, read 2,098,954 times

Advertisements

I wondered...how come MD's prominent neighboring states...PA...WV...and VA are all red...yet MD is blue.

Is there something more liberal about MD residents as opposed to PA/WV/VA residents...OR is this just an excellent example of dilution stats?

Consider that VA/PA like MD have big cities
VA-DC suburbs/Richmond/Roanke/Norfolk
PA-PIT/PHI

BUT they have a much bigger geographic area which includes rural areas (and most of WV is rural...it has no major metro region).

Whereas MD has the DC suburbs and Baltimore...but otherwise it's rural area (West MD/South MD/Eastern shore) is nowhere as large in area as PA/WV/VA are.

Thus is MD really that different or is just it being a smaller state makes it harder to dilute the metro blue regions?

Is MD outside of DC and BAL not much different or more liberal than rural PA/WV/VA? a

Old 06-29-2008, 09:49 AM

90 posts, read 368,156 times
Most of Maryland is just one big suburb of either DC or Baltimore. And as you know, most big cities are liberal cities. The rural parts of the state aren't very populated, while the urban and suburban portions are very densely populated.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:16 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,866 times
MD is blue because of college educated-creative types who all tend to lean left. You don't ask people if they graduated from college here, you ask them where they went. Its assumed you graduated from school. Its also heavy AA population and Latino who vote left consistently... WV-PA has completely different demographics and education levels. Older, blue collar, non educated and less diverse...

Old 06-29-2008, 04:09 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
A lot of people work for the government. Government employees vote their pay raises.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:47 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,317,487 times
Blue Country, your analysis is pretty much accurate. MD doesn't have large rural areas like VA, WV, and PA that balance out the city/suburb vote. The rural areas of MD are conservative and most are majority Republican. This doesn't matter much in statewide elections since Montgomery, PG, and Baltimore City are so heavily Democratic and populous.

I don't think I would call PA or WV "red" states necessarily. Both states have a mix of both parties in state and national politics. I think Kerry won PA in 2004 and WV was a solid state in the Democrats' pocket in the presidential elections up until this decade.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:03 PM

646 posts, read 2,668,881 times
This needs to be put in another forum...........

Politics and Other Controversies Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

Old 06-29-2008, 05:03 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,845 times
MD has two major political bases, Baltimore and the DC suburbs, PG and Montgomery. Baltimore is solidly Democrat. Not even worth discussing. Suburban Baltimore still has a strong 'union' history. Guys might not work for the unions (blue) but their dads sure did. Montgomery suburbs are government workers (lean Blue) or politically active, dual working / upper-middle income (leans Blue-ish), or extreme wealth (few and far between Red). PG has a large number of African Americans (strong blue) and some middle income folks (lean Blue). The rural areas (Southern, Western and Eastern) have a fair number of Republicans, but overall they are swamped by the populations masses.

Virginia, overall, was more of a red state (it is changing in recent years). I know a number of Republicans who would never consider living in MD ('my vote wouldn't count') due to the mass demographics of Baltimore, PG and Montgomery. They moved to NoVa (though it is changing rapidly). I think VA will be in play in 2008.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:27 PM

143 posts, read 873,423 times
maryland has the highest concentration of black people...Any we all know how THEY vote..

Old 06-29-2008, 06:48 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,476 times
pa has been blue the last few elections.

VA is for sure 'in play'. I think nova will help it go blue overall.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:39 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
The thing about urban areas is true. Urban cities benefit a lot from Democratic policies than middle America or rural areas. It makes sense for hardworking, self-sufficient, independent middle American folks in Kansas and Missouri (or on the Eastern Shore or Southern Maryland) to vote Republicans cause they don't like paying taxes just to subsidize Blue America. But if you are Baltimore or PG County, of course you love all the federal money for Section 8 housing, soup kitchens, welfare, meals on wheels, food stamps. If you are a Salvadoran (the largest group of illegals in Maryland) you would love these things too. And we all know that despite John McCain's lack of toughness, Democrats are usually much MUCh softer on illegals. MD is a sanctuary state and illegals get in-state tuition in College Park thanks to Governor O'Malley.

There's also a lot of yuppie types all over Howard County and Southern Montgomery County. They are rich but they are social liberals. They can't do without gay marriage, abortion, etc etc. Trust me, I work in a pharmacy in Potomac and some women can't even be sexually inactive for one day, demanding their birth control pills ASAP. Parents buy birth control pills for daughters before they go to their elite Northeastern or California colleges....thats how Blue this place is!!!!! A lot of poeple in Montgomery originally came from up North which also factors into things. This is the kind of culture that produced Barack's snobbery toward small town voters and middle Americans in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland