Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:32 PM

76 posts, read 121,476 times

Advertisements

I'll probably be heading out to Maryland again in a few weeks. I visited the Baltimore area two weeks ago, but I wanted to check out the Eastern part of the state too, and figured I might as well stop and check out Salisbury to see what's going on there.

So what's Salisbury like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 06:35 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
What are you looking for? Baltimore and Salisbury are not apples and oranges they are apples and elephants. I can't say I know it all that well but I can tell you it's a small town close to the beach but really not close to anything else. It is racially diverse with a high Hispanic population.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:54 AM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Hmm...I can't say I have ever done anything but stay in a hotel and grab a meal in Salisbury. Worchester County's locales(OC, Assateague, Berlin) are more known for having appeal to tourists.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:24 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Depending on who you talk to it's either one of the better small towns you can live in (regional shopping, college town, close to the beach, lower housing prices) or the 7th Circle of Hell (isolated, remote, unsophisticated, some crime stats that are high)

The truth is somewhere in between.

I would move to the area but likely not in town. I'm at the age that neighbors annoy me.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:58 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Hmm...I can't say I have ever done anything but stay in a hotel and grab a meal in Salisbury. Worchester County's locales(OC, Assateague, Berlin) are more known for having appeal to tourists.
If you're looking for things to do, I would definitely recommend these places. Ocean city is a fun beach town. There is a boardwalk with tons of local shops, arcades, restaurants, etc. Just be aware that the town gets majorly congested during the summer, especially on weekends. Berlin is a very quaint town just outside of OC. Lots of local shops and antique malls line Main st. there. I can't say I've really done anything in Salisbury either other than grab a bite to eat at Salisbury mall, which I can say is a pretty nice mall.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:01 AM

3 posts, read 6,070 times
Default Worst place ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Nomad View Post
I'll probably be heading out to Maryland again in a few weeks. I visited the Baltimore area two weeks ago, but I wanted to check out the Eastern part of the state too, and figured I might as well stop and check out Salisbury to see what's going on there.

So what's Salisbury like?

PLEASE do yourself a favor. DO NOT MOVE HERE. The schools are terrible, Crime is through the roof! FLAT and ugly. BACKWARDS!!!!! Whatever makes sense, do the opposite.
1 Supermarket in the whole town.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:15 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmc410 View Post
PLEASE do yourself a favor. DO NOT MOVE HERE. The schools are terrible, Crime is through the roof! FLAT and ugly. BACKWARDS!!!!! Whatever makes sense, do the opposite.
Your ignorance is showing... control it please

There are some neighborhoods I would avoid, such as Downtown or the outskirts of Downtown in East or West Salisbury, further out are better. North Salisbury is nice as well.

Crime is higher because it is a smaller city, so you have to take the good and the bad

For the younger generation, it isnt much to do. The Centre at Salisbury is the only place to hang out which is just about it until Ocean City opens back up. There are also 20 and under clubs, for the 21 and over u have the Fountains or Mojos, Roadie Joes, and an older, more upscale lounge called Echelon. Also Public House-EVO Brewing Company is great as well. Went there over the weekend and had a great time, and there are other bars since Salisbury University is nearby.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:34 AM

165 posts, read 232,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmc410 View Post
Actually Salisbury has two, there is a Giant hidden in the city, it can be like finding Waldo.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:04 AM

545 posts, read 1,101,228 times
i went to college by salisbury. bad, bad, bad place. the only thing keeping this town alive is Salisbury University and the Purdue Chicken plants/headquarters. everything else is a dump. people are very poor and neighborhoods are dangerous. yet because it's on the eastern shore, the locals view it as the 'new york city' of Delmarva. Baltimore is like civilization compared to salisbury

Old 02-19-2015, 07:12 AM

789 posts, read 1,096,676 times
Off the top of my head I can think of
-4 Food Lions
-Giant
-Walmart north & south
-Save-a-lot
-Sam's Club
-Target

So the grocery store assessment is wrong...

Those who went to Salisbury University probably have a very narrow bias of the town that is limited to the southern end of town and all things related to the college so take their thoughts with a grain of salt. I didn't know jack about the town until I moved more than a mile from campus. There really is a lot of economic, cultural and social activity in town. For example, yesterday I went over to Salisbury after work so I could run a bunch of errands that I can't do in OC. It's one of those places with literally every type of neighborhood you can imagine, from riverfront mansions, trailer parks, urban single family 1/3 acre lots, historic victorian homes, row houses, tiny tiny cape cods, sprawl development, townhouses, condos and cluster homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland