Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 08:08 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,418 times

Advertisements

Go to the big Regional Mall in Columbia and then to Tysons Corner in Fairfax County VA. You will quickly see how the places vary significantly. In Columbia most people are Black or White. In Fairfax it is like a United Nations with an incredible mix of people from all over the world. English is almost a second language in Fairfax County and it is a little edgy. I find Columbia, MD to be more old fashioned America and more relaxed and low key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 06:11 AM

20 posts, read 176,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Go to the big Regional Mall in Columbia and then to Tysons Corner in Fairfax County VA. You will quickly see how the places vary significantly. In Columbia most people are Black or White. In Fairfax it is like a United Nations with an incredible mix of people from all over the world. English is almost a second language in Fairfax County and it is a little edgy. I find Columbia, MD to be more old fashioned America and more relaxed and low key.
I agree, English is becoming a second language in Fairfax County. It's nothing wrong with the mixed ethnicities, don't get me wrong, but it's beginning to become too much. The different cultures are clashing, causing people to feel a great deal of animosity towards other people and it's just not the same anymore. I love Columbia Mall and even though Tyson's is a really nice mall too, The Mall in Columbia has more realistic buying standards for everyone. Tyson's is geared towards the wealthier people as far as actually purchasing anything.

Comparing the two is relatively hard because of the fact that Fairfax County is much larger than Howard County and the populations are very different. But, I've found that crime is higher in Fairfax County, although Howard County's crime is rising too. Education in my opinion is better in Howard County. I have friends that attend them and it seems they have a better school experience than my friends here in Fairfax County. The schools here move extremely fast and if you don't learn something the first time, it's no catching up unless you devote all your time to staying after school. And let's be realistic as far as teenagers and school goes; Staying after school would be ok every once in a while to catch up, but I don't think a student should have to be subjected to stay after school everyday just because school moves so fast. Some parents would say it's a kid's responsibility to stay after if they're having trouble and that's true, for the most part. But staying after school all the time is too much in my opinion. It's enough that you struggle through 7 hours of school, have to come home and study/ do homework, Go to work (I have to), Get off at 11 p.m., go straight to sleep and do it all over again waking up at 5:30 the next day. I would like to go to a school that doesn't move so fast and gives me time to grasp different concepts before moving on to something else. The home prices are much better in Columbia, I've checked remax's website and the proof is evident.

Some people say that there are a lot of fun things to do in Fairfax County, and I'm not sure if it has to do with my age or interests, but I haven't found anything so interesting to do. And even if I did, with all the negatives the county has, it wouldn't be worth the cost of living anyway.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:09 AM
I95

62 posts, read 283,419 times
Columbia is an example of planned community success.

Even after all the growth there, Columbia has still managed to maintain a high level of desirebility. Nice place to raise a family too!

Good luck on your move.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,470 times
hi
I have planned to move to Columbia and want to rent an apartment. Any suggestions?

thanks

amy

Old 03-31-2007, 12:04 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
I have to say that I'm a bit puzzled by this talk of people in Northern Virginia sticking with their own ethnic groups. I haven't found that to be the case at all. I've found people in general to be rather cold and unfriendly, but it doesn't fall along ethnic lines. Go to any thread on this board dealing with people of various races, religions, or interracial couples, looking for acceptance and you'll see a plethora of respondents championing Northern Virginia as a terrfic location for them. I have a great distaste for Northern Virginia but I'll give it credit where it's due and will say that it is without a doubt, the most racially harmonious and integrated place I have ever lived. I have never seen any of this sort of tension and self-segregating that others speak of. When I go out to the local mall, I'd say at least 20% of couples are interracial and I see multiracial groups of friends, classmates and co-workers at the mall socializing with ease and I never felt any sort of racial tension growing up in such a multicultural environment, so I'm really perplexed to hear others saying the opposite.

I also have to add that Columbia is a very diverse community in it's own right, maybe not up to Northern Virginia levels just yet, but it's getting there.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshao View Post
hi
I have planned to move to Columbia and want to rent an apartment. Any suggestions?

thanks

amy
Don't think I'm ignoring your question; I'm only 17 and i have no idea as to where to rent there because I've never paid my own rent or even lived in Columbia, only visited lots of times. For the most part, I can tell you I think that anywhere in Columbia is a very nice place to rent because even the so called "bad" parts are good in most places. Hope this helps even a little. Good Luck

Old 03-31-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I have to say that I'm a bit puzzled by this talk of people in Northern Virginia sticking with their own ethnic groups. I haven't found that to be the case at all. I've found people in general to be rather cold and unfriendly, but it doesn't fall along ethnic lines. Go to any thread on this board dealing with people of various races, religions, or interracial couples, looking for acceptance and you'll see a plethora of respondents championing Northern Virginia as a terrfic location for them. I have a great distaste for Northern Virginia but I'll give it credit where it's due and will say that it is without a doubt, the most racially harmonious and integrated place I have ever lived. I have never seen any of this sort of tension and self-segregating that others speak of. When I go out to the local mall, I'd say at least 20% of couples are interracial and I see multiracial groups of friends, classmates and co-workers at the mall socializing with ease and I never felt any sort of racial tension growing up in such a multicultural environment, so I'm really perplexed to hear others saying the opposite.

I also have to add that Columbia is a very diverse community in it's own right, maybe not up to Northern Virginia levels just yet, but it's getting there.
I never meant that people in VA are separated by race, I only meant that the different interests are clashing. I should have phrased it differently; my apologies. But as I meant, there's not a lot to do out here in NOVA unless the old town/tourism thing appeals to you. It's really not all it's cracked up to be. Add that to the fact that they tax you for everything made on earth and you'll find it's really not an appealing place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland