Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 05:31 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
Maryland is a Northern state....it relate to the south in no form outside of being under the Mason dixon line. Southern states call Maryland northern so please stop trying to put us with those class of people.
Just which class of people is that Mr. High and Mighty? I lived in the Annapolis area for most of my adult life. Most of the folks here in NC have to ask me whether I'm a native of NC or not. My diction has just enough Southern accent that folks can't tell one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 01:29 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Just which class of people is that Mr. High and Mighty? I lived in the Annapolis area for most of my adult life. Most of the folks here in NC have to ask me whether I'm a native of NC or not. My diction has just enough Southern accent that folks can't tell one way or the other.
Regional dialects are becoming a relic of history. With National (and international) media being the norm people are exposed to a more nationalised dialect. I can tell the difference between what I heard in the 60s when travelling through the mid south to visit family and what I hear now.

And the same is happening to attitudes. I see as much 'redneck' in central and western PA and Ohio as I do in VA and NC. It is not a quick process but it is happening on a generational level.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:09 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
I always just say I am in the mid atlantic region.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:21 AM

16 posts, read 17,570 times
Great thread!

Old 08-25-2015, 10:32 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Everyone is Maryland knows that Annapolis is Kountry as hell! Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post

Old 08-25-2015, 10:35 AM

I like progressive Marylanders who are forward-thinking, politically astute, intellectually and culturally sophisticated !

You can describe this as uppity, "high and mighty"..I do not care!!!

Later for all that Old Bay/Crusty Crab mentality!

Old 08-25-2015, 04:21 PM

11 posts, read 72,897 times
Maryland the south?????? Are you drunk , delusional or a weirdo? or maybe all 3? Maryland is not southern by any stretch. Accents, food, people, behavior , everything about MD is Northern. I live in NJ and up here people consider MD "up north" . Baltimore might as well be Philly up here !! The south doesnt start until your past Richmond, we eat crabs & scrapple & grits in new jersey , Mason DIxon line is not creditable because the census bureau around that time considered everything past ohio the "West" which we all know is far from true. & food doesnt make a city southern or northern. They eat fried chicken & collard greens in Providence, RI , are they the south too? lol use your common sense.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:01 PM

20 posts, read 18,387 times
During the civil war, towns would be whatever side was passing thru.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:58 AM

Honestly, the Civil War is still being played out in the minds and hearts of many white and black Marylanders. Lol! Just listen to their opinions and perspectives.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:02 AM

Agreed!!!!! That's what I keep trying to explain, but, these people don't want Baltimore to be associated with anything that resembles Northern-ism . They want to keep Maryland backwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qasim95 View Post
Maryland the south?????? Are you drunk , delusional or a weirdo? or maybe all 3? Maryland is not southern by any stretch. Accents, food, people, behavior , everything about MD is Northern. I live in NJ and up here people consider MD "up north" . Baltimore might as well be Philly up here !! The south doesnt start until your past Richmond, we eat crabs & scrapple & grits in new jersey , Mason DIxon line is not creditable because the census bureau around that time considered everything past ohio the "West" which we all know is far from true. & food doesnt make a city southern or northern. They eat fried chicken & collard greens in Providence, RI , are they the south too? lol use your common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland