Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 07:17 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim5 View Post
You just named ONLY two places (and one is near Morgan which I was waiting you you to say because I would assume DC folk attend the university) out of probably hundreds of Bmore carryouts.

Please.
Lol, exactly.

I can get a half smoke in Canada, does that mean they are regional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 06:55 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
The DC Board should just pin three threads: "How do I get a girlfriend?", "I hate Baltimore!" (I do too for the record), and "White people bringing the city down."

Old 08-24-2015, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 10,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Baltimore is not part of the DMV. When the term was first used in the Go-Go era, they were not speaking of Baltimore. But the surrounding burbs in PG, MoCo and Northern VA. Baltimore and DC have a long history back in the day of playing basketball and that's about it. Never were there two totally different cities only 40 minutes apart. If you can ride the metrobus or the metro you are in the DMV!

Old 08-24-2015, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 10,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Because I was born and raised and still live in DC.

24 Things You Need To Know About The DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) | Thought Catalog This is dated but some facts still hold true.
Two thumbs up for this reply

Old 08-25-2015, 07:16 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
What are you talking about?!! I don't care if the mods are active or not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Agent 77 needs to be reminded that unlike the Baltimore forum, the mods are very active on the DC forum. IH_77, you'd do well to make sure that you maintain any vitality left in this little thread of yours.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:01 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
I've never heard anyone consider Baltimore part of the DMV. It's well-known that the acronym is centered around the "D" (DC), and the M and V are referring specifically to the Maryland and Virginia suburbs of DC, respectively. So, the DMV is only referring to the DC metro area.

If you included Baltimore in the DMV, then you could include other parts of MD and VA also....which would ultimately take away from the original meaning/definition of the DMV.

Last edited by personone; 08-25-2015 at 01:09 PM..

Old 08-25-2015, 01:07 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Agent 77 needs to be reminded that unlike the Baltimore forum, the mods are very active on the DC forum. IH_77, you'd do well to make sure that you maintain any vitality left in this little thread of yours.
Slim chance that he'll take heed, but I like the advice!!

Last edited by personone; 08-25-2015 at 02:18 PM..

Old 08-25-2015, 03:15 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,688 times
Washington Capitals, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis says Baltimore will become part of a D.C. supercity - Washington Business Journal

Old 08-25-2015, 03:51 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Cool. I see a lot of the links you post have folks starting to use the term in the early 00's which makes sense. I remember a lot of shoutin out hoods and hood roll calls in go-go...but I don't recall them using the term in the 80's or 90's. Go-Go (some) use to get burn down our way but we were/are HEAVY into Hip Hop ...but there was one or two Go-Go bands down here around the mid 90's...I think they were a mix of folks from AVA/DC and RVA...might've been someone from Hampton in there to. The reason I don't get in these arguments because my familiarity with the term is more personal...that's why in most articles people don't seem to know the origins and only recently start using the term, its not personal. The origins come outta Norfolk State in the early 90s (as well as using area codes on the East Coast 202, 804, 410 etc). It was displayed through various tags and graffiti and was followed by another regional Hip Hop term describing an area that was not NY or the Dirty South. It WAS originally for ALL of DC MD and VA...as far as places that -Rep- ...it was NOT for anyone to try to just link themselves to DC or ride DCs coattails...even though that seems to be the main problem with modern usage. It WAS for and urban/hip hop identity much like the dirty south was started in ATL but used for whoever feels that's what they represent. It was NOT meant to be used like it is now BUT hey...it is what it is.

Interesting...thanks for the info...as for the OP...Baltimore is not in the DMV as the term is used now.... don't think people from either area really want to be lumped in with the other

Old 08-25-2015, 05:12 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Much like I've always said it doesn't matter that they are both separate with distinct cultures. It's one large mega region much like SoCal or South Fla, or the Bay Area, with better transit connections by 2050 it could be seen as all one who knows. There are already shared suburbs like Columbia and Laurel and some businesses already market "serving the Baltimore-Washington area." BWI is the busiest airport in the region and is 10 mins from Baltimore, yet a high number of people from DC area fly there. What I don't think will happen though is the two television/radio markets being merged into one. That should always remain separate due to the size of both spheres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland