Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,444 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Crofton (a 'burb in Anne Arundel County) with my husband and two children (ages 3 and 1). We moved here from NE Washington one year ago to get away from the crime (we were held up at gunpoint in front of our home). Now that we are here I am realizing how much I need a walkable, vibrant place to live. Crofton is very nice...quiet, lots of trees, a nice community. But I am already tired on my dependence on my car and the "mall as entertainment" aspect and am daydreaming about moving somewhere truly walkable (coffee shops, restaurants, grocery stores within walking distance). My husband telecommutes so we can really live anywhere, but we need to stay within about two hours of this area (our families are both here).

I started looking into Baltimore, specifically Federal Hill and Mt. Vernon but am a little turned off by all the crime reports. I don't mind using common sense and being cautious, but I don't want another area that I am scared to take a walk at 2pm (which is how I felt after being robbed in DC). Ellicott City sounds nice, but I'm not sure if it has much of a downtown. I've heard nice things about Towson...but is it really walkable? What about Catonsville? I know I can get off my arse and go drive around, but I want to narrow some places down before we head out on any excursions.

We could do a townhouse or condo...for about 425K max. I'm not concerned about schools at this point...we might have help if we decide to send them to private school, anyway. Please tell me something exists in this entire state that is walkable and relatively safe!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 07:18 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,139 times
Well the area where we live is considered Mt. Vernon. Based on other posts on this message board as well as coworkers, I am aware that there are many people who are biased against living in Baltimore City and very concerned about crime. However, our situation works very well for us and that is what is important. Of course before we moved to the city we were concerned about crime just like everyone else so we chose an upscale building with secured entrances, 24 hour [SIZE=-1]concierge, and a secured parking garage.

As for walkable... well to name a few things, we can walk to:
- a grocery store
- 24 hour [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]convenience[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] store/pharmacy (pharm part not 24 hrs)
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]- at least 3 different banks
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]- The Lyric
- The Myerhoff
- light rail stop within a block
- Penn Station
- University of Baltimore
- MICA (Maryland Institute College of Art)
- at least 4 coffee shops that I can think of off the top of my head
- the city library
- a bunch of restaurants and sandwich shops
- a gym
- a major hospital
- And best of all for us - WORK!

I feel completely safe walking around Mt. Vernon during the day. Would I walk around outside at night by myself? No! But most likely I wouldn't do this no matter where I lived. Crime is everywhere and no one is immune so you just have to be smart about how you go about your business.

It's common knowledge around these parts that the city school system is not that good. If you can afford it, private school would be the best for your kids if you live here.

Good Luck.
[/SIZE]

Old 02-04-2008, 07:41 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
I think Frederick would meet your needs, though I'm not sure if there are grocery stores in downtown Frederick.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:44 PM

866 posts, read 2,627,447 times
I, too, recommend looking into some of the Baltimore neighborhoods. Perhaps Locust Point would be worth exploring. It's very safe and quiet over there, and it's not far at all from the harbor and Federal Hill.

Towson is not really walkable. It does have a downtown, but I don't believe there is much housing near the downtown area.

Frederick would definitely be worth a look. There's a lot going on downtown these days.

Last edited by sobo16; 02-04-2008 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Duplicate recommendation

Old 02-04-2008, 07:59 PM

70 posts, read 485,180 times
mount vernon or federal hill

Old 02-04-2008, 08:20 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,715 times
How about DOwnTown Silver Spring, There is a mall,wholefoods, and plenty of shopping and dining.
Rockeville
Bethesda

Old 02-04-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
How about DOwnTown Silver Spring, There is a mall,wholefoods, and plenty of shopping and dining.
Rockeville
Bethesda
I'll be moving to the DC area at the beginning of March (hopefully - it will be mid or late March if it isn't the beginning of the month), and just in the last week I've looked at housing near the Metro stations for Bethesda, Silver Spring, and Rockville (as well as looking in Arlington - Ballston/Clarendon area, Old Town Alexandria, and various neighborhoods in the District itself). I ultimately decided on Silver Spring because it seemed like it was very walkable (though some of the major streets, like Georgia Avenue, are a little pedestrian unfriendly to cross), had a lot of amenities, and was distinctly cheaper than Bethesda (which is also very nice). Though it still has a bit of roughness about in spots, it also seemed like it was pretty safe. Rockville to me didn't seem as lively as either Silver Spring or Bethesda and its town center area was a little more contrived. It is also much further from DC (important for me because I'll be working in the District near the Navy Yard Metro station). Still, Rockville is decent and definitely isn't suburban sprawl.

A little less built up area that still appears to have some amenities and is walkable that is near the District is Takoma Park.

BTW, in Baltimore I concur with Mount Vernon and Federal Hill.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,444 times
Thanks for the replies! I am glad to hear some postive things about Baltimore - I will take some drives and check out those neighborhoods. And I'd never thought of Frederick...definitely worth a look.

I guess I should have clarified that we don't want to live in the immediate DC area. We just moved from there and were really tired of the massive traffic, out of control home prices, and general work-oriented culture of DC. We really couldn't afford to live in Bethesda or Rockville and Silver Spring is just too close to DC for us. I appreciate all the advice, though!

I'm looking forward to any other suggestions.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:50 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,037 times
I was hoping you wouldn't say the B word (Baltimore). There's a reason it's affordable. There's reason there are not massive traffic tie ups. Think about it. People are getting out of Baltimore as fast as they can. If you buy a house in Baltimore, you will make someone's day. Because chances are they've been trying to get out.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:43 AM

I've only been through Annapolis twice, but I think Maryland's capital city could meet your needs.

If you want a place that is smaller but not too small, Westminster or Havre de Grace might work too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland