Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 06:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,212 times

Advertisements

Hi! My partner and I currently live in Towson, MD but we are looking to move towards DC because my partner was just offered a good job there in the downtown area. Looking to rent. I currently commute an hour each way to my job in Columbia and am hoping that by commuting from somewhere more in the direction of DC it will be a reverse commute. I am not expecting even a 30 minute drive, but even 45 minutes compared to an hour would be great.

We drove around Beltsville and Glenmont yesterday to get a feel for that area but it was mostly, well... sketchy looking ugly brown apartments just around the corner from what looked like half abandoned strip malls. Still not opposed to that area but would like some advice on which neighborhoods are best.

We also looked at Rockville which was much better, but the GPS said it would be 47 minutes without rush hour traffic from my workplace.

We’re also looking for a place within a five minite drive of a metro stop because my partner has done the DC commute before and now refuses to drive all the way there and likes the metro lol. We don’t have kids so no worries about school districts, but safety is a big concern. Also not really bothered if we’re not near any nightlife.

Thanks in advance! We are looking to move in the next month or so since the job offer came somewhat unexpectedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 06:33 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Look at Wheaton, Silver Spring and Takoma Park. You may have to spend more to get a place 5 minutes from metro, but you should expect to find a nice place. One example is the Metropointe in Wheaton where a one-bedroom starts at $1876/month. However, it is right next to a grocery store and the Metro. Also check The George, where a one-bedroom starts at $1450/month.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielvk View Post
...... We drove around Beltsville and Glenmont yesterday to get a feel for that area but it was mostly, well... sketchy looking ugly brown apartments just around the corner from what looked like half abandoned strip malls. Still not opposed to that area but would like some advice on which neighborhoods are best...........
It would be helpful to get a joint budget and space requirement, and a bit more about desired ambience.

First, a bit about driving and parking at Metro. You need to get a monthly permit and get there early to get a spot. Last I knew, Glenmont had completely inadequate parking. Alternatives at all stops are to live within walking or biking distance, or to use the Ride-On buses.

Glenmont and the Randolph Road corridor is where prosperity hasn't happened yet, and the population is largely Hispanic.

New buildings in Wheaton are for the young, upwardly mobile set. Older buildings in Wheaton have a lot of diversity, mainly Hispanic. The stretch from Kensington to University Boulevard at Four Corners is affluent, nice suburbia with some diversity.

New buildings in downtown Silver Spring are for the young, upwardly mobile set. Older buildings have a lot more diversity.

Takoma Park is for the liberal, organic, vegan, LGBTQ, etc population. Buildings are older and funky, but you might find renovated space with the right budget.

College Park might work and probably resembles Towson with more college students.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,212 times
Thank you both. Our budget is closer to $1500-$1600. We do like the Towson feel a lot and are looking at college park. We definitely fit in the vegan, liberal, LGBT group lol.

In terms of space requirements, we’re fine with a studio. We’re pretty minimal and don’t own many items and have one cat that doesn’t need a lot of room.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:50 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Why not live in Columbia itself? That way, your commute is minimal; and your partner could either use the MTA commuter bus or the MARC train to DC and skip the Metro altogether. Depending on where you end up, you might be able to get rid of one of your cars.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:45 AM

103 posts, read 183,755 times
Columbia is pretty large (3 zips I believe) and you can be 1 mile from 95 but still 10 minutes from getting on/off - what's the nearest major thoroughfare to your job?

You don't care about nightlife, so I will throw in Piney Orchard/Odenton - close to MARC train. It's a somewhat transient area (lots of renters to Ft. Meade, NSA) but overall people seem friendly. I like the North Laurel area by the library; leafy yet close to Rt 1 amenities. The town of Laurel itself (Rt1/198 section) has a good bit of character. I also like West Laurel (close to Burtonsville), as it's a pretty quiet section of town yet really close to 95 (maybe 15 minutes to Greenbelt Metro). I don't know MoCo well but have a good friend in Fairland (Silver Spring) that likes it (diverse area, close to Rt 29 and amenities there).

Old 11-07-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielvk View Post
...Our budget is closer to $1500-$1600. We do like the Towson feel a lot and are looking at college park. We definitely fit in the vegan, liberal, LGBT group lol.

In terms of space requirements, we’re fine with a studio...
I think your budget is feasible for most of the places I recommended. Some of the high-rises will charge extra for parking two cars. It might be better to look at a place in walking or busing distance to a Metro stop for the partner's commute.

College Park has the advantage of being close to the I-95 commuting corridor to Columbia, and there are some nice high-rises there. Wheaton would be closer to the Route 29 commute to Columbia. So, depending on where the job is, one might be preferrable.

Takoma Park might have the advantage of being socially more comfortable for you both. The commute to Columbia could be the Route 1 corridor, and it is still less than 30 minutes.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:33 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,000 times
College Park seems like it would be an excellent fit for you. It is close to Columbia and downtown DC is a quick commute via Metro or MARC. It is very liberal and gay friendly, as a matter of fact we just re-elected our first gay mayor. The area is growing and everyone seems pretty down to earth. Ever since I moved here two years ago, I've been really involved with the community as far as volunteering and staying involved with local politics. We have plenty of bike trails and parks nearby. Prices are still affordable for DC standards. Good luck on your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland