Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 09:36 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackqueen_ View Post
First of all my take home pay is $1,750. Not counting the grant money and VA money I receive every month. So instead of you trying to come on this forum and be a bully because you hate yourself and have NO SELF ESTEEM! Just by pass this question and go get you a life.
Pretty sure the poster just wanted more information to steer you in the right direction so the attitude is not needed and the fact your "black " makes no difference on the advice you would be given in regards to an apartment.You mention two towns in MD yet all of northern VA ? Columbia is nice as is Bowie ,Odenton and Crofton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 09:58 AM

103 posts, read 183,990 times
Quote:
Hello Forum,

I am a single black grad student working remote making about 52k a year. I’m looking to move to Maryland for graduate school next February. I am well aware of internet statistics but I would like information from people who actually live in the state. My research has left a lot of question since I can’t find a place that is not only diverse, relatively crime free but also in a relatively big city. I’m looking to spend $1,300 - $1,500 and live alone so I need some information about the difference between Laurel, Columbia and Northern Virginia. If someone could explain the type of people living there, safety and suggested zipcodes it would be extremely helpful. Also I’m looking at a school in Baltimore and Bowie, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
Laurel has 3 sections - one in Anne Arundel, one in Prince George's, one in Howard county. The Anne Arundel section has some heavy traffic by 198 and Total Wine/Target shopping center; check out Russett neighborhood over there. Convenient to 295. Howard county portion I am a big fan of, I like the communities just south of Savage Mill, Brock Ridge area (nice community feel, lots of folks out and about). Prince George's area by Route 1 has a classic feel, especially by Main Street, and a beautiful library. Montpelier is a popular neighborhood in South Laurel (PG County section). Closer to Bowie State University than Columbia.

Columbia is a planned community with lots of bike trails and such, but feels a bit sterile (I personally don't mind this aspect but by comparison Laurel has more character). Only thing with Columbia is that you could live in a neighborhood .5 miles from 95 or 32 but takes 15 minutes to get to the actual on-ramp to one of these highways. If you like live music, there's Merriweather Post Pavilion (can be noisy at nearby apartments) for medium/large scale acts like R.E.M., the Black Keys (Train/Goo Goo Dolls is on the calendar at the moment).

Can't comment on NOVA but it's even more congested than these areas, and a bit more pricey overall.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:30 AM

5 posts, read 4,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Well that was a bit extreme, especially for a new poster who came here for help.
Which part? The antagonist? The response wouldnt of happened if the first comment didn’t take place. I think that’s what you should focus on. 😉

Nonetheless, I appreciate all the help from the posters who came in this thread to be HELPFUL!!

Old 11-28-2018, 10:33 AM

5 posts, read 4,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Pretty sure the poster just wanted more information to steer you in the right direction so the attitude is not needed and the fact your "black " makes no difference on the advice you would be given in regards to an apartment.You mention two towns in MD yet all of northern VA ? Columbia is nice as is Bowie ,Odenton and Crofton.
Only people who don’t have racial issues don’t think BLACK should be mentioned.

Carry on.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:34 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Only people who don’t have racial issues don’t think BLACK should be mentioned.

Carry on.
Only people with agenda's do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland