Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 06:36 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If she's outdoorsy a kayak would be good. My daughter and son in law *** on the Potomac and both have sea kayaks. The college has, or used to have, a small fleet of sailboats. I'd get the kayak here.
Still do , it's actually a course ,......along with being a "pot smoking hippie".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 06:56 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,967,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Why are you ragging on the OP? He didn't say that the college was populated by pot smoking hippie wannabes; he said that he had read on the Internet that the college was populated by pot smoking hippie wannabes. Given that he doesn't live around here, how would he know otherwise, unless he were to come on here and ask people who might be in a position to know?

And after all, isn't that the entire point of this website? For people to get answers to their questions about other places?
GI never says anything. The only time I ever see his posts is when someone quotes them.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:34 AM

128 posts, read 143,903 times
I've been to St Mary's in southern Maryland. It is in a rural setting... lots of history (back to colonial times)... and easy access to water activities (the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay). The college campus itself is quite pretty, and struck me as a bit insular vis-a-vis the rest of the community (it is after all a liberal arts college in the middle of rural Maryland).

Saint Mary's City (zip 20686) violent crime is 7.3. (The US average is 22.7)
Saint Mary's City (zip 20686) property crime is 11.1. (The US average is 35.4)

The crime rate is lower than the Lexington Park "micropolitan" area's (of which St Mary's is a part), which is again lower than Maryland's, if official statistics mean anything.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:20 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
I'm no expert, but the area around the college certainly doesn't seem unsafe. However, a few miles to the north sits Lexington Park, which is not the safest or most pleasant of areas. I'm not aware of any major issues with spillover crime or anything; I mention this just so you'll know to advise your daughter to keep her wits about her if she chooses to spend time there. Shopping and dining, what there is of it, is concentrated in a community called California, located a little to the north of Lexington Park.

If she doesn't want to live near the college itself, I would recommend looking in Leonardtown, which is a straight shot down Route 5 to the college. Traffic on that route isn't bad; certainly nothing at all like the daily drudgery of Route 235 from California down to Lexington Park.

[[/url]
Thank you. This is very useful. All those tempting inexpensive places in Lexington Park are now explained. Leonardtown sounds like a nice location because it is closer to the amenities in California and close to the college. Maybe she will want to live in California since she was born in California.

She has accepted the position and is pretty excited about it even though it is only a one yer position. She can still apply for the permanent position if she likes it as much as she expects to.

There does not appear to be anything for rent in St. Mary's but apparently they do have some faculty housing on campus. She does not know if it is affordable, or nice and whether she can have a dog (that is important to her). She already has a car and the college apparently has a faculty boat, so maybe a kayak is not the best option for a congratulatory gift. Sounds like an air-conditioner might be better if wherever she ends up does not have central air. Not sure what else there is to do there. Perhaps a lobster trap?

Old 04-12-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Why are you ragging on the OP? He didn't say that the college was populated by pot smoking hippie wannabes; he said that he had read on the Internet that the college was populated by pot smoking hippie wannabes. Given that he doesn't live around here, how would he know otherwise, unless he were to come on here and ask people who might be in a position to know?

And after all, isn't that the entire point of this website? For people to get answers to their questions about other places?
Hey, thanks!

Some people have difficulty with reading. It really does not bother me when they post non-nonsensical attacks. Many people who have self esteem problems live on CD only to attack people. They do not bother to actually read what someone says, or they have reading comprehension issues, but they do not care since their only purpose in life is to attack others regardless of what they say or write. They are hoping to make themselves feel better about themselves (I do not think it works, but they keep trying). They have them in every CD forum section. Like mosquito they pop up everywhere trying to suck the fun out of things. I find it better to ignore them and to give them any attention. Mosquitoes are the same way, if you swat them, the welt they leave is worse, you just have to force yourself to ignore the annoying little buggers).

I guess there is some way to put people on "ignore" so their posts do nto even pop up. I should ppoke around and try to figure out how to do that.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:33 AM

45,429 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thank you. This is very useful. All those tempting inexpensive places in Lexington Park are now explained. Leonardtown sounds like a nice location because it is closer to the amenities in California and close to the college. Maybe she will want to live in California since she was born in California.

She has accepted the position and is pretty excited about it even though it is only a one yer position. She can still apply for the permanent position if she likes it as much as she expects to.

There does not appear to be anything for rent in St. Mary's but apparently they do have some faculty housing on campus. She does not know if it is affordable, or nice and whether she can have a dog (that is important to her). She already has a car and the college apparently has a faculty boat, so maybe a kayak is not the best option for a congratulatory gift. Sounds like an air-conditioner might be better if wherever she ends up does not have central air. Not sure what else there is to do there. Perhaps a lobster trap?
No, not a lobster trap. If she goes for crabs one day she may well find it's easier (and sometimes way cheaper) just to buy them.

"Faculty boat" could cover a multitude of craft. To operate it she would have to get her license:

https://www.boat-ed.com/maryland/

A kayak might really be better. That will allow her to explore more.

My daughter and son in law use #14 and 25 most often unless they're up here.

https://www.stmarysmd.com/docs/publicboatingaccess.pdf

Old 04-12-2019, 12:25 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Always remember: you get what you pay for. And another good thing to keep in mind: go with your gut. If you visit some place and it doesn't quite seem right to you, listen to that voice inside your head.

Lexington Park is just . . . unappealing. It kind of weighs on you, and not in a good way. I definitely recommend avoiding it. Great Mills might work, if you stick to the northern portion of it. There are some apartment complexes just off Route 237 (Chancellors Run Road) that look pretty decent, especially as you get further north towards Route 235 and California. California itself would be a decent place to live, but traffic will probably be an issue. (The more your daughter can avoid Route 235, especially southbound in the morning and northbound in the afternoon, the happier she will be.)

From my limited experience with Leonardtown, I'd say that most of the town is pretty nice. I'd avoid the areas around Dorsey Street (Leonard's Freehold Apartments, Leonardtown Village, and New Towne Village), but that's about the only less-than-desirable area of which I'm aware.

If your daughter can find a place to live on campus, she might want to try that at first. That way, she'll be right there at her work place, and she'll have time to explore the area and decide for herself where she might like to live, if she stays there longer than a year. If the faculty apartments do not have air conditioning, I would strongly advise getting her a unit; Maryland summers (and late springs and early falls) are generally on the warm side.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:29 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Hey, thanks!

Some people have difficulty with reading. It really does not bother me when they post non-nonsensical attacks. Many people who have self esteem problems live on CD only to attack people. They do not bother to actually read what someone says, or they have reading comprehension issues, but they do not care since their only purpose in life is to attack others regardless of what they say or write. They are hoping to make themselves feel better about themselves (I do not think it works, but they keep trying). They have them in every CD forum section. Like mosquito they pop up everywhere trying to suck the fun out of things. I find it better to ignore them and to give them any attention. Mosquitoes are the same way, if you swat them, the welt they leave is worse, you just have to force yourself to ignore the annoying little buggers).

I guess there is some way to put people on "ignore" so their posts do nto even pop up. I should ppoke around and try to figure out how to do that.

Ain't that the truth. I don't understand it myself, but some people just enjoy being unkind to others, from behind the anonymous safety of their keyboards. Oh well. For what it's worth, C-D isn't the worst place I've been to for this sort of thing, not by a long shot. But even so, it's still kind of annoying, in a mosquito-like way. (Good analogy!) One of these days I'm going to learn my way around the "ignore" button as well . . .

Old 04-12-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, not a lobster trap. If she goes for crabs one day she may well find it's easier (and sometimes way cheaper) just to buy them.

"Faculty boat" could cover a multitude of craft. To operate it she would have to get her license:

https://www.boat-ed.com/maryland/

A kayak might really be better. That will allow her to explore more.

My daughter and son in law use #14 and 25 most often unless they're up here.

https://www.stmarysmd.com/docs/publicboatingaccess.pdf
I think she prefers her food killed by others. She mostly eats vegetables anyway (pesquatarian or something like that, veggies and fish only).

She did not think to ask what the boat is. I would guess it would be a sailboat. Did not think about a license. I will pass hat along. We do not have boating licenses here unless you are under 16. She woudl have to learn to use it anyway. Even though we live on big water (Lake Erie - sort of) she has only used kayaks and canoes.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Always remember: you get what you pay for. And another good thing to keep in mind: go with your gut. If you visit some place and it doesn't quite seem right to you, listen to that voice inside your head.

Lexington Park is just . . . unappealing. It kind of weighs on you, and not in a good way. I definitely recommend avoiding it. Great Mills might work, if you stick to the northern portion of it. There are some apartment complexes just off Route 237 (Chancellors Run Road) that look pretty decent, especially as you get further north towards Route 235 and California. California itself would be a decent place to live, but traffic will probably be an issue. (The more your daughter can avoid Route 235, especially southbound in the morning and northbound in the afternoon, the happier she will be.)

From my limited experience with Leonardtown, I'd say that most of the town is pretty nice. I'd avoid the areas around Dorsey Street (Leonard's Freehold Apartments, Leonardtown Village, and New Towne Village), but that's about the only less-than-desirable area of which I'm aware.

If your daughter can find a place to live on campus, she might want to try that at first. That way, she'll be right there at her work place, and she'll have time to explore the area and decide for herself where she might like to live, if she stays there longer than a year. If the faculty apartments do not have air conditioning, I would strongly advise getting her a unit; Maryland summers (and late springs and early falls) are generally on the warm side.
Thank you.

Living on Campus will probably depend on cost. Contrary to common belief, college professors are not extremely well paid. Especially pre-tenure.

Personally, I would want to be away from students knocking on my door at night to protest a bad grade or whatever, but she will make that call, she has been teaching for two or three years so she knows whether that is an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland