Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:44 AM

587 posts, read 1,410,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Hahaha. I grew up in Columbia, and this is pretty much spot on. I was a teen in the late 90s, and the fake village center thugs were around then too. Looks like things haven't changed. I will say though, even though Columbia gets the boring, vanilla suburb reputation; after living different places in the country I really miss it and really enjoyed growing up there. All the green space/parks, the waterfront, diversity, good public schools, access to every possible store/restaurant, and being close to 2 major cities- is not something you easily find elsewhere.

Back when I was growing up there, it wasn't nearly as populated, so you kind of knew everyone. Now it's so developed and transient, and with that I'm sure you get more of the fake attitudes and less neighborliness. Despite its flaws, I'm glad I grew up there and love when I get a chance to go back and visit. I'm different from many on this site in that I actually prefer suburbs over major urban cities, so that probably contributes to my opinions also.

But I actually prefer the fakeness in Columbia to the fakeness of the DC area. Unlike Columbia, most people in the DC area are extremely racist and love segregation, but they act like they aren't racist at all and never openly vocalize their beliefs. At least Columbia is genuinely integrated and accepting of all races. Columbia is one of the only truly integrated places in Maryland aside from Silver Spring. If you are black in Potomac, Kensington, Betheda or much of Northwest DC the further you get west of 13th Street, you will stand out and white people will talk to you in mock ebonics. If you are non-black in much of PG County, people will look at you like an alien. If you are non-black in the DC area and try to talk to the average black person, they will look at you like you are crazy. DC is so pretentious and status obsessed. People there will quiz you on "what you do", where you went to school, where you live to see if you are worthy of even talking to them. The DC area is full of middle class people pretending to be old money. Stuck-up Patrick Bateman look-alikes who refuse to talk to anyone they consider as beneath them which includes 99% of the world's population. People who look like the soulless folks from the Ralph Lauren catalog judgemental dead-eyes and all. DC is the heart of snobbery and elitism. At least these attitudes are rarer in Columbia because it was a planned community for all races and income levels to live together in peace. Even rich people in Columbia aren't pretentious. Many rich people in Columbia drive older cars and wear JC Penney clothes.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 07-06-2015 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 04:15 PM

74 posts, read 130,222 times
Oh, I don't know about Columbia not having an elitist attitude. I think it's the cutesy street names that do it I can empathize with the unpleasant reactions of the locals to the unexpected, a door being held open, or a "No, you go!" wave at a four way stop. Just doesn't happen here unless you initiate it yourself. And whatever you do, don't suggest that someone from Columbia travel into PG county for anything other than a trip to DC. You'd think that someone might steal their hubcaps if they dare to stop.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:41 AM

587 posts, read 1,410,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patz0709 View Post
Oh, I don't know about Columbia not having an elitist attitude. I think it's the cutesy street names that do it I can empathize with the unpleasant reactions of the locals to the unexpected, a door being held open, or a "No, you go!" wave at a four way stop. Just doesn't happen here unless you initiate it yourself. And whatever you do, don't suggest that someone from Columbia travel into PG county for anything other than a trip to DC. You'd think that someone might steal their hubcaps if they dare to stop.
Not all of PG County is bad. Much of PG County looks identical to River Hill and Potomac with large mcmansions and newer shopping centers. Many of the newer shopping centers in the richer parts of PG make Harper's Choice and Oakland Mills look like crap. Afterall, PG County is the richest black majority county in America. And even the bad areas of PG immediately surrounding NE/SE DC have vastly improved in the past few years. And most black people and even some white people in Columbia are more likely to have Baltimore roots than DC roots because Columbia is much closer to Baltimore.

But Columbia is a great place for interracial families and people who don't care too much about race. Race is a huge issue in the DC area. Black people with good jobs don't even like white people in the DC area. Aside from Silver Spring, Wheaton, Laurel etc., the average neighborhood/town in the DC area is either 80%+ white or 80%+ black with a smattering of Central Americans and Ethiopians here and there. People of all races live side by side in Columbia. There is no huge disparity between blacks and other races in Columbia. Yes, most of the people on Section 8 in Columbia are black, but the Section 8 in Columbia is living the high life compared to any other city with real crime. Race is really something secondary in Columbia. When we moved here from the Bay Area, they said Columbia was the closest thing you'll get to Northern California lifestyle in terms of integration and acceptance and they were right. I never experienced too bad racism in Columbia as a mixed race person living here since the 90's. I experienced mind-boggling levels of racism when I went to high school in Baltimore for a year though. So in that respect, I like the Columbia "fakeness" of post-Civil Rights utopian principles:

Columbia's Ideals in Question Decades After Town's Birth | The New Voters

Old 07-19-2015, 09:09 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Not all of PG County is bad. Much of PG County looks identical to River Hill and Potomac with large mcmansions and newer shopping centers. Many of the newer shopping centers in the richer parts of PG make Harper's Choice and Oakland Mills look like crap. Afterall, PG County is the richest black majority county in America. And even the bad areas of PG immediately surrounding NE/SE DC have vastly improved in the past few years. And most black people and even some white people in Columbia are more likely to have Baltimore roots than DC roots because Columbia is much closer to Baltimore.

But Columbia is a great place for interracial families and people who don't care too much about race. Race is a huge issue in the DC area. Black people with good jobs don't even like white people in the DC area. Aside from Silver Spring, Wheaton, Laurel etc., the average neighborhood/town in the DC area is either 80%+ white or 80%+ black with a smattering of Central Americans and Ethiopians here and there. People of all races live side by side in Columbia. There is no huge disparity between blacks and other races in Columbia. Yes, most of the people on Section 8 in Columbia are black, but the Section 8 in Columbia is living the high life compared to any other city with real crime. Race is really something secondary in Columbia. When we moved here from the Bay Area, they said Columbia was the closest thing you'll get to Northern California lifestyle in terms of integration and acceptance and they were right. I never experienced too bad racism in Columbia as a mixed race person living here since the 90's. I experienced mind-boggling levels of racism when I went to high school in Baltimore for a year though. So in that respect, I like the Columbia "fakeness" of post-Civil Rights utopian principles:

Columbia's Ideals in Question Decades After Town's Birth | The New Voters
Agreed not all PG is bad, Bowie, Laurel have the PG's white residents since they border another county. Clinton and Upper Marlboro, and Brandywine have white residents too. All those areas ahve the McMansions and nice neighborhoods.

Columbia never really felt fake to me. I have coworkers that live in the so called "seedy" areas and they are far from the "Heights" and "Hills" of PG County where the crime is higher, but are starting to revive. I been to Wilde Lake and Owen Brown and NEVER felt unsafe visiting friends and coworkers.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:23 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,302,854 times
Moved to Columbia from outside Philly in 1990 to open an office for our company. Good location as we sold industrial/rugged computer products and systems and the DC beltway is prime territory.

Worked out well for me. Got an apartment for about 14 months. Bought a TH in nearby Elkridge in 1991 (still own-rent it out. Moved to our present home in Ellicott City (also nearby).

Back then I would rive to Laurel as there was not much in terms of shopping centers (besides the mall and small village centers).

Now Columbia is all built up and plenty of stuff to do and see and shop and parks and stuff. Heck Wegmans alone is worth going to Columbia for...

Columbia Town Center (where the mall is) is probably what OP is referring to. Nice place to visit, would not care to live there.

Mike G.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:03 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,123 times
Columbia is the very epitome of bland suburbia as it was one of the first planned communities in America. If you ever watch the Boondocks, that's where the characters live and it's presented as a completely faceless bougie suburb, which isn't far from the truth.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:22 PM

265 posts, read 509,651 times
I work in Columbia and I think the people that live here are rude, feel entitled, not friendly, complain all the time and snobby. I have traveled all over the USA and haven't seen people act this way. Of course, these kind of people are everywhere, but when you deal with these Columbia people everyday it's aweful. I never get a thank you or a hi.
There is really not much to do in Columbia if you don't like going to the mall. Housing is so expensive and the traffic has gotten so bad esp on Rt 29.
Only a few more years and then I am leaving this area and not looking back.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:25 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
I’ve seen this thread over the years, and read some of the posts from time to time (whenever it gets bumped back up).
And I still have the same thought I have when I first read the title and initial pages…”what the heck do you mean by fake?” Fake what? Disney land is fake. A movie studio back lot is fake. How the hell can a real town and area be “fake.”

Columbia is clearly and obviously a real place with neighborhoods and “developments” (which are really also just NEIGHBORHOODS) …it has shopping centers and office buildings. It has town houses, single family homes, apartments. It has schools and parks. ALL KINDS of people from ALL KINDS of backgrounds live there.

So I don’t know what the heck people are talking about with all this fake crap.
It’s beyond non-sensical.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:36 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I’ve seen this thread over the years, and read some of the posts from time to time (whenever it gets bumped back up).
And I still have the same thought I have when I first read the title and initial pages…”what the heck do you mean by fake?” Fake what? Disney land is fake. A movie studio back lot is fake. How the hell can a real town and area be “fake.”

Columbia is clearly and obviously a real place with neighborhoods and “developments” (which are really also just NEIGHBORHOODS) …it has shopping centers and office buildings. It has town houses, single family homes, apartments. It has schools and parks. ALL KINDS of people from ALL KINDS of backgrounds live there.

So I don’t know what the heck people are talking about with all this fake crap.
It’s beyond non-sensical.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:26 AM

46 posts, read 80,144 times
I get this feeling about Columbia a lot, which is why I'm leaving. The only thing about Columbia that's good is how diverse it is. It feels like a glorified Hanover. The area itself does lack an atmosphere. You're the first person who doesn't live there that realizes that. There are malls, parks, and playgrounds everywhere, you can find manmade lakes everywhere, it just all feels so fake after awhile. And like I would get it if it were a small CDP with weird boundaries, because then you could include the surrounding area, but Columbia is so huge, and all really has is a mall and some lakes. That's not to say Columbia doesn't have any amenities, because every place does. It is near Ellicott City, and is pretty close to Baltimore, too. I just wish to be at least 20 minutes from Annapolis at most because I fell in love with it, and Howard County doesn't fit that criteria for me. The closest place in the county that is family friendly is like 35-40 minutes from Annapolis. That's just my opinion though. Everyone is different. Do I feel this way about all of Columbia? No, but I feel this way about a good chunk of it.

Last edited by HaileyFalconer; 08-01-2015 at 08:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland