Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:10 AM

645 posts, read 1,452,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
The statistics don't back up your comment. D.C has an 11.9% unemployment rate, while Maryland has a 7.2% rate.

Table 2. Mass layoff events and initial claimants for unemployment insurance, November 2005 to October 2009, not seasonally adjusted

those statistics are misleading folks, when I did a job search many gigs have showed up in DC, but not maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 AM

513 posts, read 1,223,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
those statistics are misleading folks, when I did a job search many gigs have showed up in DC, but not maryland.
They're not misleading. If you want shocked look up how many young, African American males don't have a job in D.C. That'll give you shocked.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:14 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
DC has one of the faster growing job markets in the country right now. It also has one of the faster growing unemployment rates. It wouldn't seem possible to be both, but it's because people are moving here hoping to jump on the 'stimulus package' bandwagon. I've joined a Job Hunter's support group and every week there's at least one new member who moved here from Ohio, Michigan, Texas, Florida, in the hope of finding a job because they heard on the news that all the stimulus jobs are here. The end result is the same as everywhere else--for every job, there are thousands of people applying.

When you are looking for work and not finding it, it always seems like there are more jobs somewhere else. And when your job and financial situation are bad, it is easy to hate the place you are living.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:46 AM

245 posts, read 1,171,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
You forgot to mention, fake...never mind..lol..

I've been good, and still keep in touch with folks in SFL on a daily basis. My move there has been put on hold indefinitely, but will continue to visit.

I'm in Gaithersburg, come on in the water is fine...a lil cold tonight though.

Oh, did Chelsea ever move there?

I haven't seen her on the forum for quite a while, i don't think she's made the move yet, since we are still in a recession, i seriously doubt that she sell her home and uproot her kids down here anytime soon, but who knows she might bite the bullet and do so. I just hope she finds a high paying job, she will need to make at least 80-100k or as a combined income to make it down here, which would mean living in the right neighborhood, enrolling her kids in private school, and enjoying all what South Florida has to offer.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
Its different up here, Jacksonville is a very working class town and its so cheap to live here, I mean dirt cheap... I was able to double the size of my apartment in a nicer area for hundreds less a month... I just don't see how anyone could go back to MD after being in FL... If I were to go back I would go from being middle-class to poor...
sounds interesting and appealing, no wonder why you're so happy, good for you
MD housing market and rents are still high, they really have'nt taken hit quite a big hit as Florida, so i can see how the market can be depressing on your wallet still. Is Jacksonville an urban city, is it diverse, family oriented, A-rated schools, there must be some sort of price for low cost of living, one might think it's has to be lacking in something. What are your thoughts Tercel95?

Old 11-28-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
DC has one of the faster growing job markets in the country right now. It also has one of the faster growing unemployment rates. It wouldn't seem possible to be both, but it's because people are moving here hoping to jump on the 'stimulus package' bandwagon. I've joined a Job Hunter's support group and every week there's at least one new member who moved here from Ohio, Michigan, Texas, Florida, in the hope of finding a job because they heard on the news that all the stimulus jobs are here. The end result is the same as everywhere else--for every job, there are thousands of people applying.

When you are looking for work and not finding it, it always seems like there are more jobs somewhere else. And when your job and financial situation are bad, it is easy to hate the place you are living.
Good observations.

Here's yesterday's WAPO piece on the subject:

washingtonpost.com

Bottom line: don't show up looking for a D.C job without being able to bring some education and needed skills with you, because the hired help slots are already taken...

Old 11-28-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
Good observations.

Here's yesterday's WAPO piece on the subject:

washingtonpost.com

Bottom line: don't show up looking for a D.C job without being able to bring some education and needed skills with you, because the hired help slots are already taken...
what types of skills are needed? I will probably stay in the healthcare field anyway.

Last edited by NEWTOSFLA; 11-28-2009 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 11-28-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
what types of skills are needed? I will probably stay in the healthcare field anyway.
That certainly depends on the job. My point was it is a competitive, highly educated work-force in the D.C area, and virtually all of those silly dog-walker, nanny, Housing Bubble jobs have vanished.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:19 PM

924 posts, read 2,603,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
sounds interesting and appealing, no wonder why you're so happy, good for you
MD housing market and rents are still high, they really have'nt taken hit quite a big hit as Florida, so i can see how the market can be depressing on your wallet still. Is Jacksonville an urban city, is it diverse, family oriented, A-rated schools, there must be some sort of price for low cost of living, one might think it's has to be lacking in something. What are your thoughts Tercel95?
Jacksonville is a very interesting city... It is over 850 square miles and is very spread out... There is a lot of suburban sprawl and strip malls... That is what most people complain about in addition to the lack of nightlife... People complain of a "dead" downtown... Personally the sprawl doesn't really bother me, you just have a drive a bit to get certain places...

Since Jacksonville is so big you can live wherever you want... You can live downtown, in a historic area, by the beach, by the river, white picket fence suburb, etc...

Jacksonville also shares the public school issues with the rest of FL... What this means to prospective residents is you have to make sure you move to an area with a solid school district... There are lots of "A" schools in the elementary and middle school area... Typically the high schools are the issue... That means you will probably want to live in one of the outer suburbs of JAX like Clay or St. John's county...

If I was in your position its something I would seriously consider... I really struggled to get by in MD and I sent one resume down to JAX and a few months later I was down here... It was the best decision of my life...

You still might have issues getting a job here though, some fields are in demand and a lot aren't...

MDs advantages are its culture and historic sights... I can't really think of anything else I liked more up there... well the drivers are better... I think MD only works for people who are rich, liberal and love the cold...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: