Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 03:07 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
PS. I am a bit concerned about the healthcare situation after reading some. My husband is an asthmatic & has a heart arrhythmia. Anna Jacques hospital is nothing to write home about in Newburyport, but Beverly Hopital 1/2 hr away is not so bad.

We've had many a time we've had to rush to the hospital in the middle of the night.

I worry about the comments I've read with regard to Cape Cod hospital.
I have heard few complaints about quality of care but cost is an ongoing problem and something you might want to investigate. Many doctors are charging a fee to be a patient in their practice of several hundred dollars. It is my understanding this is becoming more commonplace.

I recently dropped BCBS as our carrier. Once again, they raised rates but lowered coverage. For instance, even after copayments and the deductible is met, there are now additional charges for services at Cape hospitals. For outpatient surgery, the surcharge is $1000, for MRI $450, Xrays and and lab tests $50-$150.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 08:08 AM

420 posts, read 1,369,453 times
What's wrong with Sandwich?
They put the sandwich too close to the mashpeas and it got soggy IMO

Old 01-07-2011, 08:44 AM

6 posts, read 9,409 times
I believe Sandwich is a fine area to live...

The home prices are lower because there is no train into Boston and the commute is a drag... I think that is why Newburyport is higher price (you were not always a high priced town)... The cape has suffered with the recession (all though last year the traffic and tourist were back)... Tourism has been down (with exception to last year).

Sandwich is a big 2nd home area as with all the cape and the 2nd home sales are down. I think if you look at Real Estate you will find that much of the Cape are offering lower prices.

Is a good time to buy in the cape that is for sure.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 AM

8 posts, read 25,836 times
I'd stay in newburyport over Sandwich if you can afford it. It's such a nice town!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 AM

8 posts, read 25,836 times
Not sure why anyone would consider Cape Cod in the winter. It's so desolate and boring!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:10 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,998,091 times
I thought the same thing when I moved here 13 years ago. It's a different lifestyle and not for everyone. I find plenty to do year round. I still enjoy going off-Cape to visit my old friends and stomping grounds. When I do, though, I find that I can't wait to hit the Bourne Bridge and get home.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy99 View Post
Not sure why anyone would consider Cape Cod in the winter. It's so desolate and boring!
I go to areas and think "I could never live like this" but I wouldn't question someone else's reasons for living there. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy99 View Post
Really? Have you been here lately? February... traffic after 3 pm in Falmouth, half hour wait at British Beer Co, Hyannis, lines at Roche Bros, Mashpee. We're civilized now. Come on back down. Bonus... NO SNOW!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 PM

33 posts, read 95,090 times
Agree with others, I love Sandwich!! We moved here 7 years ago from Plymouth (where the hubby grew up, I grew up in neighboring Carver). My hubby is military so it was closer to the base and actually cheaper than buying in Plymouth at that time. Plus the house we bought was much nicer than any we found in Plymouth, and the school system is MUCH better than Plymouth. The taxes are a tad high but like others said, it doesn't bother me much. I would not say there is anything wrong with Sandwich, it's not as touristy as other cape towns which I love. There are no box stores or fast food places, but I like that it is still quaint and quiet. You can do your grocery shopping at S&S (we have 2) and they are now building a Market Basket by the bridge. Mashpee also has a Roche Brothers. Mashpee (next door to us) has the Commons that have lots of stores for shopping, though I find them pricey. You can hit the Hyannis mall or the Kingston mall (off cape)... and Wareham now has a bunch of stores as well (Target and Walmart). There are definitely options. And if you love the quaint feel of town, the small population and the general friendliness, you will love it here.

PS - I happen to love Cape Cod Hospital. Two of my three children were born there and I have no complaints. I've never had to wait in the ER either... which was a huge problem at Jordan Hospital and South Shore Hospital. I have asthma like your hubby, and if you ever need to go to the hospital, they'd take him right in.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:07 PM

21 posts, read 99,900 times
Sandwich is a beautiful little town, especially near 6A. My mother lives there and I lived down 6A in Barnstable. I've also lived in West Hyannisport, West Yarmouth, Marstons Mills and Falmouth. My brother and daughter live in Mashpee.

Taxes in any seaside town are high. Property values and taxes depend on a number of factors besides location--the presence or absence of commercial and industrial zones, for example. Sandwich is primarily residential. As others have mentioned, there are supermarkets, like the Stop & Shop plaza on 6A not far from the historic district. There's also a CVS, bank, some restaurants, hardware store & other businesses in the same plaza (my mom lives across the street). For extended shopping, there's Mashpee Commons (which tends to be, as someone else pointed out) pricey. Hyannis has the Cape Cod Mall and the usual chain stores (except the big hitters like Walmart & Target) and it's easy enough to get to, though traffic in the summer can be a nightmare most times of the day--but that's to be expected on the Cape. You learn the backroads and best times of day to travel and deal with it.

There's also a huge mall in Kingston which is probably about 1/2 hour up Rt. 3, other shopping in Plymouth and Wareham. As for Cape Cod Hospital, they upgraded it recently--my mom has been there for surgery and she's had no complaints and she has Boston hospitals like Brigham & Women's to compare it to.

Any place near Boston (especially a coastal town like Newburyport) will have higher priced properties and taxes. Once you're west of 495, those items get much less expensive (we've been in Worcester for the past 7 years and moved here because--at the time--it was the nicest home we coud find for under $300,000 from which you could still commute to Boston).

I'd love to move back to the Cape, but we're thinking of moving to Florida--whole 'nother story! :-)

Hope this helps--feel free to ask any more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts