Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 12,509 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone... new to the boards..was just wondering if anyone could tell me the best area to live in around Natick. I've been offered a job that I'm thinking about taking and would like to find an area that has a good school system. My daughter will be going into the Second Grade in September. Doesnt matter, public school or private. I am also looking to rent a 2br apt, possibly pet friendly. I am paying 1200 here in NY, utilities not included. I would like to find something comparable to what I have now. I dont mind a commute, as I commute now in NY via mass transit, so thats not a big deal. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 10:11 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Default Welcom to Metrowest

I'm guessing that you'll be working in Natick and want to know some good towns within commuting distance. You should be able to find a decent basic apartment in the area for rent similar to what you've been paying. Natick itself is a nice town, that fits the requirements you listed. Variety of neighborhoods, from classic subdivision suburban, to quaint older residential, to a little bit countryish in south Natick. Good schools, nice attractive downtown, and a bunch of malls and restaurants toward the north side of town.

A couple of towns to the east of Natick is Newton, another place you might consider. Large town, really more the population of a small city, but mostly residential. Instead of one downtown area, each section of Newton has its own little shopping area. It's really more like a collection of small towns that share one municipal government. Close to Boston, more urban/suburban, but very nice and upscale. Expensive, but keep checking craigslist, etc. Given the size of Newton, with perseverance you may well find an apartment there within your price range. Newton is also on the same commuter rail line as Natick, only about a 25-minute ride by train, maybe less, depending on your stop.

Wellesley, Weston, and Wayland are immediately east of Natick. Very upscale towns, mostly residential, and expensive, mostly single-family houses, not many apartments. Not the best bets for lots of apartment options, but you might be able to find a former nanny's apartment for rent, if you don't mind living in more of a private home situation, with the owners living right next door. Wellesley is on the same commuter rail line as Natick. From the other two W towns you'd have to drive, but the drive would be fairly quick.

Framingham, immediately to the west of Natick, may have a number of apartment options, but I'd suggest keeping Framingham as a last resort. Not sure the schools are as good as those in the other towns I've mentioned, though they're probably okay. Framingham is basically a generic large suburban town. Pleasant enough but nothing really inspiring. A main road filled with malls and restaurants through the middle of town, and, toward the south, a trashy downtown area that offers little reason to set foot there except the commuter rail station. Framingham also seems to be run by a rotted-out old patronage network. If you're not part of the old neigh-buh-hood crowd with connections to that network, you never know the surprising ways you might find yourself being mistreated. As a last resort, though, you may find that Framingham at least has a variety of apartments that could meet your everytday needs.

Best of luck, and welcome to the area!

Old 07-24-2007, 04:33 AM

735 posts, read 3,501,600 times
HellOOooo Angie NY! This is the original NY'er here in MA

When I first came up to MA, I lived in Auburndale- the west most town of Newton - as ogre mentioned, it is a collective. But Auburndale has apartments, shopping available, and easy access to the Mass Pike, 95, Rt. 9, the commutter rail, and even the Green Line T.

Natick is on the same rail line, so depending on your job location, you may be able to take a reverse train commute which would be very easy.

In Natick you have the shopping mecca of the mall, Shopper's Worls, and the Rt. 9 drag of numerous stores.

One thing- don't ever forget about our beloved Yankees!!! And good luck. Feel free to PM me if you need anymore advice on the transition.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:52 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post

One thing- don't ever forget about our beloved Yankees!!!
This is worth a quote.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:48 AM

646 posts, read 1,787,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
This is worth a quote.
The Red Sox better pick it up now - especially since I'll be two blocks away from Fenway Park going to school!

Old 07-24-2007, 12:17 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Default How long a commute can you do?

Feel free to forget about "lost NY'er"'s advice to remember your "beloved" Yankees. Actually, Lost, maybe you can keep remembering them, and remembering a certain reality: As long as it's been now since your "beloved" team has seriously contended for a championship, the annual pre-season "Can ANYONE beat the Yankees?" hype is really getting to be a joke. By the way, how do you know Angiebatts isn't--maybe even "worse" than being a Sox fan--gasp, a MET fan?

Okay, enough of that. Seriously, despite Lost's misguided ways when it comes to the realm of sports fandom, he makes a really good suggestion with Auburndale. Apartments, shopping, and commuter rail all close by. It's also the closest to Natick of any of Newton's separate "villages" (only about 15-16 minutes from the downtown Natick stop on commuter rail).

Angiebatts, in your original post, you specifically mentioned commuting by train in NY. Would a commute by car be possible? How long a commute, by car or train, could you handle? Natick and "the Newtons" (especially Auburndale) stand out as the two best areas really close to your work in Natick for finding everything you're looking for. Maybe people could offer more possibilities to consider if it turns out that you can commute farther, and/or can commute by auto.

Best of luck!

Old 07-24-2007, 02:58 PM

Default ugh ohh- Yankee/Sox talk?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Feel free to forget about "lost NY'er"'s advice to remember your "beloved" Yankees. Actually, Lost, maybe you can keep remembering them, and remembering a certain reality: As long as it's been now since your "beloved" team has seriously contended for a championship, the annual pre-season "Can ANYONE beat the Yankees?" hype is really getting to be a joke. By the way, how do you know Angiebatts isn't--maybe even "worse" than being a Sox fan--gasp, a MET fan?
1978, 2003, ummm- the collapse of 2006??!! And for kicks and a Mets reference- 1986?? Anyone?

here...let me beat you all to the chase- yes....the Sox won it in 2004!

I might just start another thread to spread my Yankee knowledge upon you all

Back to Angie- give us some more details and we will get back with plenty of enthusiasm..

Old 07-24-2007, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 12,509 times
Smile You guys...

.....are funny...but I love the banter... and **GASP**... oh my gawd... I am a METS fan... and my blood runs blue and orange....there is only one reason I like the Red Sox (sorry all no offense!) because they are public enemy #1 of Yankee fans everywhere (sorry NY'er!)... I've lived with this mark my entire life as I have five older brothers who are all... you guessed it... dreaded Yankee fans... so dont worry about offending me... I can handle it!

Wanted to thank you all for your suggestions... I'm going to do some research on line and hopefully get up to the area in the next couple of weeks to take a look around for myself... the only thing I cant do is look at the schools because they are closed for the summer... thats my priority, finding a good school for my daughter... if you all have any other suggestions/information for me... let me know... thanks again!

M-E-T-S Mets Mets Mets!

Old 07-24-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiebatts94 View Post
.....are funny...but I love the banter... and **GASP**... oh my gawd... I am a METS fan... and my blood runs blue and orange....there is only one reason I like the Red Sox (sorry all no offense!) because they are public enemy #1 of Yankee fans everywhere (sorry NY'er!)... I've lived with this mark my entire life as I have five older brothers who are all... you guessed it... dreaded Yankee fans... so dont worry about offending me... I can handle it!

Ohh boy! Please don't turn out to be a band-wagon Sox fan and get a pink hat with a B on it!

Ok let us know when/if questions come up about the area.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:23 PM

57 posts, read 379,198 times
you're up against it for what you want

first
pet friendly is very hard in mass then a lot of schools are doing cut backs for instance stoneham, reading , pembroke etc, they're thinking of cutting arts, music, sports etc, teachers in quincy have just come off strike right when the final exams were to take place and many teachers have been layed off there.

the a 2 bedroom for that much is going to be hard if you want a decent relativly modern safe place.

Framingham might be a choice for you, I know many moderator cut offensive have moved into that area so not sure if you have a problem or am fine with that.
good luck

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-24-2007 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: offensive/ possibly racist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts