Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:31 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Oh, ok. So you would pronounce it "he had 3 hahts and a caht after he was caht", rather than "he had 3 hawts and a cawt after he was cawt".

My way of pronouncing it is "He had 3 hahts and a caht after he was cawt".
no, no, no.

He had 3 hats and a cat (rhyme with at) after he was cawt (rhymes with bought.)

And he was caught on a cot. (rhymes with bought.)

We'd better watch out or some Boston people are gonna think we're nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,121 times
This is fun. Where are you all from?

I'm from Holyoke, and I definitely pronounce "cot" and "caught" differently. "Caught" rhymes with "bought" whereas "cot" rhymes with "hot."

Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
I'm from Pittsfield originally, Wicked, a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What? Maybe you have an accent.

Hot and cot rhyme to me., along with caught. He was NOT CAUGHT on the COT. A crow says caw. They all sound the same. Well, maybe caw is different, it's ah instead of aw. Totally confusing.

But CAUGHT is drawn out a little more.
Quote:
He had 3 hats and a cat (rhyme with at) after he was cawt (rhymes with bought.)

And he was caught on a cot. (rhymes with bought.)
You've got me even more confused now. In the first boldfaced statement you say that hot, cot, and caught all rhyme to you - that is, they are all pronounced the same.

In the second one, you say that cot and caught are pronounced the same, and thus hot would also rhyme with them.

That's what I was getting at with saying you pronounce it "He had 3 hawts and a cawt after he was cawt". "aw" was my way of indicating the sound in "bought". Awwww! ......... ahhhhhhhh, that's better, now I understand.

I say hot and cot to rhyme with swat. But I say caught the same way you do, to rhyme with bought, or for the "augh" to be pronounced like "Awww!" or awe.

So I say tomayto, and you say tomahto. But I shall not marry merry Mary, I won't give her any face time since she is a mime.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:12 AM

I'm from E.L. originally. You know.....driving along yesterday I was saying CAUGHT and COT out loud and they are slightly different. I'm supposed to be going back to WMass to visit this weekend and will check out how they/we say cot/caught.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:44 PM

I'm back from WMass and I checked on the (non) accent. They say caught exactly the same way they say cot.

I am not homesick for green mountains and a lush valley with a wide river. I am not homesick for green mountains and a lush valley..............(it was sooo nice to go back.)

Old 10-16-2011, 03:55 PM

184 posts, read 658,553 times
Quote:
Usually it's said that the WMass accent begins west of the Connecticut River. We pronounce our Rs and it just doesn't sound like the EMass accent. But even people from EMass who pronounce Rs and don't seem to have much of an accent still sound different to me.

When I have taken those online quizzes of what accent do you have, it usually says Ohio, New York State, standard American. To me it also sounds exactly like a Vermont accent or non-accent.

We have some different words too like grinder for sub and soda for tonic.
"My friend is wicked smaht" (Casey Affleck re: Matt Damon's dissing of a pompous MIT student in "Good Will Hunting".

THAT
is my "gold standard" for how a "Bawstun" accent sounds and what I tell people to watch if they want a REAL example (not Hollywood) of how Bostonians speak.

That said, there is really NO one way of describing a "Western MA" accent. I've studied linguistics and tho' I'm no "'Enry 'Iggins", I DID once peg a guy as being from Newcastle, UK--(he sounded like Sting)--and the Brits call 'em Geordies), which is how I came by this thread!

There are just too many elements in the WMa accent that keep changing (mostly those dang college kids) but even their parents, who visit, like and stay! My mom is one. She went to UM before it was the StateU, along w/my dad. But unlike his emphasis on "proper English" (which is why I think I have NO ACCENT--heh-heh), she has preserved her unique, annoying and WEIRD combo of Mid-Mass-r-dropping-yet-dumber-sounding accent, with her own blend of of having grown up in "Sou'BRIDGE" (She is 100% French Canadian/Am).

So there you go--only the beginnings of an investigation of our accents, to which that guy Wm. Labov, only slightly understands.

I LOVE this topic and thread! Let's talk some more aboot it (as they'd say on "South Park"). Do I say "Grinder" When moved, yes. Packy? that too. But as for "Wicked"--never said it as a youn 'un (my Buckeye husband'll tell you that's a real expression...as in 'YOUNG' UN! What-choo doin'?"

Wicked even for me, with half my family in Worcester (poor sods!), was always a joke, but I'd say it to please the ones I liked. And isn't that what life's all about? Or aboot?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:24 PM

I just found this example of how WMass people talk. She talks the same way I do except for a few words. I noticed she said MassachuZetts, I don't put a Z in it but I've heard it that way in CT. Maybe she got that from NY, she said she lived in NY. Also, I say boy for bouy and she says buey. She says garage with a J sound, I say it with a harder G sound. I don't know anything about the round bug that curls up (does anybody?) I think the name for the sun shining when it's raining is sun showers but I only learned that on the internet; I never heard of that before.

I think this is a pretty good example of a WMass "accent."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7nQwXKvV4U

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-16-2011 at 09:33 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 12:02 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
..... I don't know anything about the round bug that curls up (does anybody?) ......
Roly poly? What about it?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:34 AM

Well, on youtube she called it a sowbug or something. I was going to say caterpillar.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:28 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,969 times
Things that I dont see outside the 413

1) Grinders
2) Tag Sales
3) Fried dough with Marinara sauce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts