Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 PM

244 posts, read 644,190 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating to the Diamond District section of Lynn. Not to buy, I only want to find a rental.

I used to live just over the border in Swampscott so I know the area.

It's been 7 years since I lived in the greater Boston area and I suddenly feel like an outsider! I lived in Boston and the north shore my whole life but things have certainly changed in 7 years time...
Anyway ~
Where does one look to find rentals in Lynn? Craigslist has mostly apartments for students in Allston, Brighton, Brookline, etc... and I don't want to pay a hefty realtor fee... any suggestions? I am out of state right now so unfortunately it's really hard trying to find anything from such a distance.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 01:44 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,922 times
Just drove down Ocean St. the other day. There is an apartment building there that had a sign advertising for rentals. I don't know anything about the building, but saw your post. Im in Lynn a fair amount, so I'll try to grab the phone number next time I'm in the neighborhood. You might also want to Google apartments on Ocean St. I think there are a couple of buildings on that street, between Lewis St. and the beach.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:32 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
The Diamond District is still a hidden gem (inevitable pun) but has gotten to be more "discovered." You nevertheless should be able to score a great place at a fraction of what it'd cost in a trendy Boston location or in another North Shore suburb. What's changed in the "city of sin" over the past 5-10 years is that the downtown area is starting to sputter back to life after its death spiral between the 1960's and '90s. Some of the old factory and warehouse buildings have undergone conversion to loft apartment/condo complexes. Non-Dunkin coffee shops are appearing. You now see "suits" and young Caucasian + Asian hipsters using the Central Square commuter-rail station. That area still has a deserted and sketchy feel after nightfall, but it's clear what direction it's headed in.

Anyways, it'd seem to me that the Lynn Daily Item and the Salem Evening News probably have online editions complete with apartment listings. Plus with Google Maps the way it is you could probably zoom in on some of the larger buildings in your target area and actually see the landlord's signs on the outside walls. Best o' luck!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Just drove down Ocean St. the other day. There is an apartment building there that had a sign advertising for rentals. I don't know anything about the building, but saw your post. Im in Lynn a fair amount, so I'll try to grab the phone number next time I'm in the neighborhood. You might also want to Google apartments on Ocean St. I think there are a couple of buildings on that street, between Lewis St. and the beach.
Thanks so much!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
The Diamond District is still a hidden gem (inevitable pun) but has gotten to be more "discovered." You nevertheless should be able to score a great place at a fraction of what it'd cost in a trendy Boston location or in another North Shore suburb. What's changed in the "city of sin" over the past 5-10 years is that the downtown area is starting to sputter back to life after its death spiral between the 1960's and '90s. Some of the old factory and warehouse buildings have undergone conversion to loft apartment/condo complexes. Non-Dunkin coffee shops are appearing. You now see "suits" and young Caucasian + Asian hipsters using the Central Square commuter-rail station. That area still has a deserted and sketchy feel after nightfall, but it's clear what direction it's headed in.

Anyways, it'd seem to me that the Lynn Daily Item and the Salem Evening News probably have online editions complete with apartment listings. Plus with Google Maps the way it is you could probably zoom in on some of the larger buildings in your target area and actually see the landlord's signs on the outside walls. Best o' luck!
You know, I am actually hoping to be in the right place at the right time in Lynn. I have thought for YEARS that this could be one of the latest up and coming neighborhoods where homeowners could see a good increase in their property values over the next decade.

In the early 90's I lived in Jamaica Plain and if I hadn't been so young and so broke I would have bought some property there. Over the next decade JP skyrocketed. I see no reason why Lynn can't do the same over the next decade. In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. Being right on the ocean and with good proximity to commuter rail and blue line and nice north shore towns it seems inevitable. I hope I don't miss the boat this time! However, I'm in the southeast now and need to get myself back to Boston before it's too late

Thanks for your thoughts

Old 08-21-2011, 04:47 PM

Another question for anyone out there reading this

When I lived in Swampcott I worked in downtown Boston and normally took the commuter rail from Swampscott to North Station.

I'm thinking about what my options will be if I were to live in Lynn -- hopefully in the Diamond District section.
I know there's a commuter rail stop in Lynn -- called Central Station, right? How is the parking there? I recall there being a large parking garage right there. Is there ample parking and what is the cost? Is this garage a bit sketchy (crime wise?)

Another option might be driving to Wonderland. I used to drive to Wonderland on occasion and this would bring me to the State St. T stop. How is parking these days at Wonderland?

If you know prices that would be most helpful.

Also, I've never been a bus person - always took either the T or the train - but I'm betting there are bus routes from Lynn into Boston. Do you know of these? Are they plentiful and easy and get you into downtown Boston within 20-30 minutes?

Thanks very much.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:09 PM

I usually ride the Blue line into Boston. Off season I park on the street for free at Revere Beach (ok for less than 4 hours). If you'll be in the city all day, it's $5 per day at Wonderland. They are currently expanding the parking there, building a huge multi-level garage. Even without the garage, there is usually parking available at Wonderland or across the street. Same $5 there.

I rarely take the commuter rail from Swampscott. The station in Lynn is Central Square. There is a garage, not sure of the daily rate. I believe the parking is around $4-5 at Swampscott. The commuter rail fare is quite a bit higher than the subway, you can check mbta.com to confirm.

And yes, the bus does run from Lynn to Haymarket in Boston. I don't use it personally, but know they are available. I think one is the 442, but again, check mbta.com.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:21 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times
Craigslist had a few listings (now and most times) for the Diamond District in Lynn. I love the area and its interesting architecture but you don't need to go too far before it gets sketchy.

Not sure when and how prevalent that smell from the beach occurs, but it was mentioned in a Lynn thread last year. Very noticeable as I drove along the coast in August a few years sgo.

Plane noise may be a problem for some at times, I think.

Noticed a graffiti wave last year in parts of the area which angered me. Some of it is still on stop signs, mailboxes and utility boxes.

CL occssionally has rentals in nearby Nahant but it seems you desire Lynn's DD.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 AM

Blast from the past...the smell along there was horrid back in the late 80s and early 90s during the summer (red tide?). I worked at Logan back then and drove along Lynn Shore Dr. everyday, and it was bad. I had to roll the windows up before Red Rock Park and couldn't roll them down until I was past The Porthole. Much, much better these days. Can you ever smell the beach? Sure, but nothing like it used to be!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Craigslist had a few listings (now and most times) for the Diamond District in Lynn. I love the area and its interesting architecture but you don't need to go too far before it gets sketchy.

Not sure when and how prevalent that smell from the beach occurs, but it was mentioned in a Lynn thread last year. Very noticeable as I drove along the coast in August a few years sgo.

Plane noise may be a problem for some at times, I think.

Noticed a graffiti wave last year in parts of the area which angered me. Some of it is still on stop signs, mailboxes and utility boxes.

CL occssionally has rentals in nearby Nahant but it seems you desire Lynn's DD.
Yeah, so, you just reminded me of all that isn't so great about this area (and perhaps the reasons why it hasn't caught on and become a happening area).

The awful smell is probably still there. When I lived in Swampscott I took plenty of walks along Lynnshore Drive with my dogs and I know there were times when the stink was awful -- and this was up until 2004 when I was last there. It's called Red Tide or some such thing and has to do with bacteria native to just that beach.

And..yeah...I know it's pretty sketchy everywhere in Lynne aside from the Diamond District...and even the DD has it's share of creeps passing through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts