Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 PM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Well yes, as Worcester is 45 miles from the coast (and the NOAA definition is 50 miles). You can be playing in the Atlantic ocean for just an hour drive from Worcester. Sure beats driving from South Dakota ;-)
How close is Worcester to Narraganset Bay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,212 times
Best places? If you like rural, hilly, and isolated, anywhere in Franklin County or the hilltowns of Franklin/Hampshire/Hampden in general. Greenfield and Shelburne Falls are great towns with interesting and dynamic downtowns. For the intrepid countrydweller looking at Franklin County - Colrain, Leyden, Heath, Ashfield, Conway, Northfield, Gill, are all breathtakingly beautiful - add Hampshire/Hampden towns - Worthington, Middlefield, Montgomery, Granville, and Cummington to the list too. Also, east of Springfield, in Hampden, Wales, Holland, Brimfield, Monson, though all tragically sniped by the tornadoes in June. Western Worcester County has rural gems as well - the highlights are Hardwick, the Brookfields, New Braintree, Petersham, Royalston.

If you're interested in the coast, Gloucester and Rockport, Newburyport, Mattapoisett. Ipswich too, if you can afford it!

Urban? Obviously Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, etc. Don't overlook Worcester - a thousand diamonds in the rough. Also, Lowell is reinventing itself, and New Bedford and Fall River will probably follow suit soon. Semiurban? Northampton is small, barely a city, but offers a LOT for its size. Pittsfield is way better than it gets credit for.

MA is wonderfully diverse in character. It's hard to pick a place!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
How does Shelburne Falls rank among the small rural towns for you, FMCA? I've only seen pics, but it's very pretty. Have you ever lived in that area?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
How close is Worcester to Narraganset Bay?
Well, it depends where on Narragansett you want to go....

But roughly 40 miles and 50 minutes to get there.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:38 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,212 times
The closest I lived to Shelburne Falls was Montague, about 15 miles away. S Falls is very small, but has a perfectly sufficient set of small businesses, from two small groceries to a hardware store to a florist, a coffeeshop/music venue, several diner joints and other restaurants, and a handful of art gallery/boutiques, not to mention a candlepin bowling alley. The beautiful theater, Memorial Hall, is attached to he Shelburne town hall complex and hosts movies on some weekends as well as musical events. S Falls was hard hit by a terrifying flood (
Historic Bridge of Flowers in Shelburne Falls Mass - YouTube ) during Hurricane Irene, but I understand it's recovered pretty well, though some businesses may still be closed. Natural beauty abounds in the area, from the glacial potholes below the dam in center of town, to the High Ledges, a high cliff-edge overlook on Mt. Massamet, overlooking the village, to a hundred other tucked away gems in a few miles radius.

Shelburne is probably a little pricy, but a lot less than Northampton. It has very little racial diversity, if that's what you're looking for - it's a mix of oldtimer (and white) townies and (and white) new-age newcomers who are often Trustafarians looking to meditate and herbally medicate their way to countryfried healing crystal enlightenment to spite their privileged upbringings in greater NYC and/or Boston. The latter brings an interesting creative edge, but I wonder if there are any culture clashes with the former...

Worth a visit, probably worth living in, but that depends on your preferences. Nearest big stores are in Greenfield, 15-20 min away, and nearest big BOX store hive in Hadley, about 40 minutes away.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Thanks! No, I'm not looking for racial diversity, I've seen enough of that already. I'm a plain vanilla kind of guy. Bill Cosby is enough diversity for me, if he still lives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts