Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:03 AM

37 posts, read 121,932 times

Advertisements

My husband, 2 children and I may be relocating to the Boston area. He grew up there and REALLY wants us to try to move to Newton....and I agree as it seems like an AMAZING town. HOWEVER, seems pretty pricey and I'm nervous we won't be able to afford the house we'd want for ourselves and our 2 children. Could anyone suggest any other nearby towns that have decent commutes into Boston with great schools as well as some charm and convenient amenities? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM

387 posts, read 916,369 times
Newton's not the only nice town in the Boston area. What's your budget, and for how much acreage/square footage?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:11 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
In order to be of any real help, we'll need more information. Your budget and some parameters about the house you'd like would be a good start. It would also be helpful if you could give us more detail as to what you like so much about Newton.

Off the top of my head, I would say look at Needham and Natick. Both more affordable than Newton and both have a lot to offer.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:07 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I'd go for less house to be in Newton, but that's me. The many villages of Newton are wonderful.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:07 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'd go for less house to be in Newton, but that's me. The many villages of Newton are wonderful.
I lived in Newton for almost 10 years. There's a lot to see and do but I don't find it as friendly a place as Needham where I currently live. I'm much happier here than I was in Newton and I have easy access to Newton, Wellesley, and Natick/Framingham from here. So, there's no lack of ammenities.

I bumped into a Newton agent I know last weekend in Needham and this was verbatim part of our conversation:

HIM: There's a big difference between Newton and Needham.
ME: What do you mean?
HIM: Needham is much friendlier than Newton.
ME: Why do you say that?
HIM: I was walking down the street in the center of town and people I don't even know were saying "hi" to me. In Newton, even people I know don't say "hi" to me in the street.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:04 AM

374 posts, read 655,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I lived in Newton for almost 10 years. There's a lot to see and do but I don't find it as friendly a place as Needham where I currently live. I'm much happier here than I was in Newton and I have easy access to Newton, Wellesley, and Natick/Framingham from here. So, there's no lack of ammenities.

I bumped into a Newton agent I know last weekend in Needham and this was verbatim part of our conversation:

HIM: There's a big difference between Newton and Needham.
ME: What do you mean?
HIM: Needham is much friendlier than Newton.
ME: Why do you say that?
HIM: I was walking down the street in the center of town and people I don't even know were saying "hi" to me. In Newton, even people I know don't say "hi" to me in the street.
I feel that a concentration of snobby individuals live in Newton. You can see from some of their posts on here. I enjoy the rankings from places such as greatschools.com. Those individuals, who live in Newton, mention the great schools and culture.

Yet, Westwood went onto the top list in Newsweek.

Newton is full of individuals living in apartments. Many of these individuals send their kids to the schools. Newton does really no better than the average school district. When you look at overall Massachusetts trends such as the 83% 4 year graduation rate, then you should exclude approximately 5 school districts. All of sudden the state graduation rate is close to 95%. Which is very similar to the results of Newton.

The 5 year post graduation study of the students from Newton is no better then the 5 year result from other schools. Most of the kids do not finish college or even visit a college.

I would save one's money and buy in a nicer place before overpaying for a small outdated house situated on a busy street. Everything really revolves around how you make it for yourself.

I would buy in someplace that you can afford. Look for a quiet nice neighborhood. Look for an easy drive to work.

Bill

Old 06-16-2012, 11:33 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
When I lived in the metro Boston area, I think I noticed that certain towns had people gravitating towards areas which matched their ethnic, educational and cultural style. I think of Newton as having a very high concentration of very well educated, professional people of Jewish heritage. I wonder if I am wrong. ?? I think of Dedham and West Roxbury as having a very high concentration of Irish Americans, Needham as a more mixed blend of all kinds of backgrounds, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I bring all this up because some people want to be in a more Jewish area, some in a more highly concentrated Irish Catholic area, etc. Maybe I am not supposed to say this, but I think it is true to some extent. Boston suburbs still do have their ethnic concentrations. I think of Melrose and Stoneham, Revere and Saugus as being very Italian, for example, because many moved out of the North and West End of Boston years ago.

Many people don't care and where I live now that is very true. But a few decades ago, they did, feeling the pull to live around people of similar backgrounds.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:24 PM

Yes, Newton has a large Jewish population. I do think a lot of people from Cambridge (education/high-tech/good school-oriented) move to Newton when they want kids and can afford to move. There are more working-class feeling areas in Newton, like near Rt. 9, Auburndale, etc.
I don't think of it as unfriendly but haven't spent much time in the other "N" towns, plus, I'm told I am unusually friendly in terms of greeting strangers, etc.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:26 PM

37 posts, read 121,932 times
Thanks so much to everyone for all the helpful information! I'm REALLY appreciative for the info on the potential issue of non-friendly and snobby people. We are very down to earth people and that sort of thing really gets to us!! I am Irish Catholic but I don't feel like we have to stay in an exclusively Irish Catholic area. I'd say our budget would be approx $800k and looking for a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath house in a kid-friendly neighborhood. I'd like to be able to easily access things like major grocery stores, target, costco, etc. while also having access to a charming town/downtown/main street. We love being outdoors so an area with lots of choices of parks and open outdoor space is important to us as well. And yes of course good schools. One of my biggest concerns is my husband's commute into the city. We really don't want to go too far out. He'll be working long hours so I don't want to see him have to take a long train ride home after working a long day. For example, we both LOVE Newburyport, but fear that commute would be killer....is that true? My husband's office would be right near The Commons.
Thanks to MikePRU on the info on Needham - I'm now going to research the area as I'm unfamiliar with it.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:06 PM

I don't think that charming downtown mixes with close to big box stores. There just aren't that many of them (unlike, say, south Jersey).
Sounds like the commute for husband is a key factor, and yes, Newburyport would be quite a hike, but not impossible. How about the commuter train from there? It really is a lovely town in every way.
By the way, it's the Boston Common, not the Commons. When I first moved to this area, I had no idea what a "common" was (being from a post-war mega-suburb). I was working a couple of blocks from the Common and asked my co-workers if there was an outdoor place nearby to eat lunch, and they said, "The Common," and I still didn't know what they were talking about!
Is husband driving to work or wanting/open to public transport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts