Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,457 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone:

I've found a lot of useful information on this website, and I hope someone can help with my situation. There is a possibility of a job offer for me in Wilmington, MA. Neither my husband nor I have ever been to Boston area (plan to soon enough though) and its hard to make a decision about a move. If someone could answer the following questions for me, it would greatly help with my decision making.

1. What is a safe and a friendly neighborhood close to the Wilmington area to live? If my husband were to work, it would be in Lowell. I've read that Andover might be a good place, however, I also heard that it is close to Lawrence, which may not be a great neighborhood? Could you suggest any other places we could live that would be close to Wilmington or Lowell? We would like to visit these when we are there.

2. We have a 3 year old son, so what neighborhood would have good schools around that area.

3. What are the chances of finding a good hospital and a grocery store in the suggested neighborhood (chances = driving in min).

4. We currently live in a townhome and we plan to buy a similar townhome when we move to MA. Are townhomes difficult to purchase compared to single family home? Is it wiser to rent initially and then buy a home? I do hate to move twice.

5. I currently take the train to Chicago, where I work, so I have not driven on freeways. Is it hard to commute there if you don't drive on freeways?

We currently live in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago and everything (grocery store, restaurants, daycare, train stations, bus stops) are all within 1-4 miles of driving. Would it be unreasonable to expect such facilities there?

Please let me know.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 09:32 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,626 times
Thumbs up Wilmington is nice

<1. What is a safe and a friendly neighborhood close to the Wilmington area <to live? If my husband were to work, it would be in Lowell. I've read that <Andover might be a good place, however, I also heard that it is close to <Lawrence, which may not be a great neighborhood? Could you suggest any <other places we could live that would be close to Wilmington or Lowell? We <would like to visit these next week.

My wife is from Wilmington. Her mother sold her home in 3 bdr 2005 that needed a lot fo work for $325K. I grew up in Burlington next door to Wilmington.

Lowell is a small city - old mill town on the merrimack river.

Wilmington is 90% SFH - very nice area and schools on RT 93. pretty close to Lowell. Other towns to consider that border Lowell = Chelmsford , Billerica, Dracut ( I have a friend in Dracut that has a nice townhouse).
Andover borders Wilmington and is nice and little more expensive.

Lawrence is not that close to Lowell, has crime problems but so do parts of Lowell ( all small cities do.) Most of Lowell is cool.

<3. What are the chances of finding a good hospital and a grocery store in <the suggested neighborhood (chances = driving in min).

You should be ok no matter where you go.

<4. We currently live in a townhome and we plan to buy a similar townhome <when we move to MA. Are townhomes difficult to purchase compared to <single family home? Is it wiser to rent initially and then buy a home? I do <hate to move twice.

All that area is mostly SFH. I would sign up for MLS service and start doing searchs and then do a map. I use a service calles MLS pulse. I can't give link per forum rules. I just setup town I am looking at and I can save as a portfolio. It also has map links. You usually sign up through a real estate agent for free.

<5. I currently take the train to Chicago, where I work, so I have not driven <on freeways. Is it hard to commute there if you don't drive on freeways?

There is a train that goes from Lowell thru Wilmington to Boston. Most people use it to go to Boston but I guess you could go the other way too. Other than that you will need a car.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:40 PM

Thanks so much for a quick reply, paradiddle. Sorry, I am not very familiar with the acronyms. Is SFH = single family home? I will surely look into the MLS pulse. Thanks a ton!! Makes me feel a lot better :-)

Old 09-04-2007, 09:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
What is your budget? Makes all the difference in the world.

Will check back tomorrow. . . .

Old 09-04-2007, 09:50 PM

Budget could be between 400 - 450K? But you can give me an estimate based on the areas and we can see if we can really afford more than that :-)
Thanks!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:41 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
It's a funny thing... Andover/North Andover are neighbors to Lawrence, and they are like night and day. Both Andover and North Andover are very nice towns, Andover a bit pricier, downtown is very nice, upscale. Lawrence OTOH, is the former shoe shops (factories), fabric mills, and manufacturing. Those would be the large brick buildings you see on the banks of the Merrimack River. Many were empty for years and years, and are now being made into upscale condo's with lofts, high ceilings, original brick/wood floors, etc. The city has tried hard to overcome, especially the school system, but there is just such a drain on services in that city...

Within Lowell, the Belvedere section is very nice, beautiful homes, truly a nice neighborhood. The city has its own growing pains as well, a large immigrant population, but wonderful festivals on the waterfront, celebrating its diversity. Nearby Dracut might work as well if not better, especially as you get up toward the Pelham NH border.

Townhomes are not difficult to buy, just be sure to check the budget of any townhome complex you might consider. If each unit is scheduled to be assessed $5,000 for new roofs and siding in the next 3 years, you want to know about it BEFORE you buy! Hopefully you decide to select a good Buyer's Agent who will keep you protected by writing contingencies into the contract and will keep you aware of issues like this. In Massachusetts you are entitled to have your own agent and guess what, it's "free" for you (a portion of the Selling Agent's commission is shared with your agent). Remember that when you call the number you see online at realtor.com (or on the sign) and guess what, the agent is working for the seller and not for you...

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me with a direct message. I'm always around, and happy to help if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestuser01 View Post
Hello everyone:

<snip>

1. What is a safe and a friendly neighborhood close to the Wilmington area to live? If my husband were to work, it would be in Lowell. I've read that Andover might be a good place, however, I also heard that it is close to Lawrence, which may not be a great neighborhood? Could you suggest any other places we could live that would be close to Wilmington or Lowell? We would like to visit these when we are there.

<snip>

4. We currently live in a townhome and we plan to buy a similar townhome when we move to MA. Are townhomes difficult to purchase compared to single family home? Is it wiser to rent initially and then buy a home? I do hate to move twice.

<snip>

Please let me know.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts