Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 03:34 PM

40 posts, read 139,607 times

Advertisements

Winchester would have best balance between safe, walkable, great schools, cute downtown with easy access to nature and parks.
Just check on commute to Waltham, I am not very familiar with that area coming into Waltham.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 08:10 AM

18 posts, read 42,169 times
Thanks so much for all your help - we've finally found a house in Sudbury and move in next month. I really appreciate all your input.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times
North or south Sudbury?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
North or south Sudbury?
Well, I guess I feel a bit silly because I don't really know the borders of north vs south, but it's north of rt. 20, near the Hopbrook Marsh conservation land.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:39 AM

27 is usually considered the rough boundary between north and south. I'm guessing you're renting in the Willis Pond area as the former summer cottages are usually where the rentals are in Sudbury. Haskell Field has one of the better playgrounds in the metro and Atkinson Pool is a great resource. The bad news is that your husband will have to navigate Route 20, but it's mainly the short stretch through Weston. Good luck with the move.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
27 is usually considered the rough boundary between north and south. I'm guessing you're renting in the Willis Pond area as the former summer cottages are usually where the rentals are in Sudbury. Haskell Field has one of the better playgrounds in the metro and Atkinson Pool is a great resource. The bad news is that your husband will have to navigate Route 20, but it's mainly the short stretch through Weston. Good luck with the move.
Thanks. We're about midway between 20 and 27 I guess, but not on Willis Pond (closer to the south end of the conservation land). We happened upon Haskell Field this past weekend and our kids had a blast. Definitely a wonderful resource, and less than a 1.5 miles from our new place. We will definitely check out Atkinson pool - thanks!

From what I hear the rt. 20 commute is quite unpleasant, but he commutes 1-2 hours each way now to and from DC and there is just no way it can be worse than that, so it's a win.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 AM

I don't think it takes an unbearable amount of time to traverse Route 20. It's just dealing with the stop and go nature due to lights and all the secondary streets feeding into it. If he doesn't mind so much, I'm sure he'll take it in stride.

If you're into gardening, Russell's in Wayland is a great resource as well. You'll also be quite close to Garden in the Woods which is just over the Framingham border.

You're also close to the old Mass Central ROW, which is generally walkable as an informal rail trail, especially in Wayland; it actually forms the southern boundary of Hopbrook. The proposed Wayside Trail would have stretched from Waltham to Berlin and beyond (Northampton was the goal), but Weston single handedly put the kabosh on it in the late 90s and crippled momentum. Thankfully, Wayland is defying Weston's NIMBYism by supporting a Wayland Rail Trail that they hope to stone dust or pave. Hopefully, Sudbury will follow suit after they see benefits of the north-south Bruce Freeman trail.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 782 times
Hi Cailin,

(Oops - I just posted this before I noticed that you found a place. I think you'll like Sudbury, but I'll leave this up incase anyone else is in a similar situation...)

I live in Concord, but moved here some years ago with the same questions . I think you'd be happy in any of these towns: Bedford, Acton, Concord or Lexington. I have friends in each town. They all have really excellent schools, they have libraries, sports facilities, parks, and are safe and attractive. They all have good pre-schools, which are more affordable than a nanny if you work part time. None is just a "bedroom town" - they do have local businesses. What are the plusses and minuses of each?

Bedford) +: Closer to Waltham. Less expensive than Concord or Lexington
-: doesn't have the quaint village downtown of Concord or Lexington
Acton) +: Less expensive than Concord or Lexington. On the train to Waltham (Fitchburg line, MBTA. It goes as far as Boston)
-: worst commute by car. Not a quaint village like Concord and Lexington
Concord +: Cutest little historical town. Train to Waltham.
-: more $$ (West Concord is a neighborhood nearest Acton. It has some less expensive rentals and a little longer commute)
Lexington +: Close to Waltham. Closer to Cambridge/Boston if you want to get into the city once in a while. The biggest downtown.
-: More $$. Somewhat more dense (though still suburban with large lots)

I would suggest adding Bedford to your short list as it's affordable, and has some great amenities - foreign language in elementary school, and a great bike trail through Lexington to Cambridge.

Last edited by ebba; 05-21-2012 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: sorry - didn't see latest posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts