Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 05:54 PM

37 posts, read 56,001 times

Advertisements

I'm in the running for a job there, and I know nothing about the area. Anyone care to give me the scoop? How would it fair for a single, female, recent college grad hailing from Alabama/Georgia? Can you recommend any areas where younger people are more likely to live in? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 10:14 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Coastal town on the ocean, lots of old charm, plenty of big expensive waterfront houses. A big working-class contingent from the older days before serious money. There are a lot of apartments. You'd need a good car (no public transport) although there is a train to Boston, it's quite a haul, not likely to run into town for an evening.
As for young single people, I don't know. I think there are a fair number of young married families because there is a lot of different kinds of housing available. It seems, given the size and development of the area, that there should be some kind of social scene for you. I don't know if coming from the South makes any difference, after all, a lot of New Englanders have quite an accent, too. You might find the winters raw, being by the ocean.
All in all, I'd consider it strongly if I were OP. There's always church for meeting people (I think it's a lot of Catholics, but there are enough people for other kinds of religions), and you can always do meetup.com for group interests. I'm sure there are plenty of meetups down that way, including on the Cape itself. If the job is good, I'd go for it, unless there was an equally good job in a place OP prefers. Best wishes.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tres grey View Post
......hailing from Alabama/Georgia?....
Culture and climate shock.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:57 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Plymouth is a nice (beautiful) coastal community. It goes without saying that the town has major historic significance. As a young adult, you'll probably find Plymouth tolerable (decent nightlife, a good number of singles in their early-mid 20s), but not great. If you don't mind a bit of a commute (40 minutes), a place like Quincy could work since it's close to central Boston (on the subway) and not too far from Plymouth. This would put you closer to a lot more people similar in age to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts