Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 12:28 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,524 times

Advertisements

Stoughton had a decent sized jewish population at one point maybe 6-10 years ago, but I don't know enough to tell you if it's still there and what it is like. There is a temple in Stoughton which may be a good starting place for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM

18 posts, read 42,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
That hasn't been my experience at all. I think if I had a young family, it would be quite easy to get involved. Every synagogue I have tried to get involved in is so focused on families that it pushes young adults who are not yet married like me out. With the exception of the Riverway Project (where I certainly feel priced out), families seem to be the name of the game.
I'm glad to hear that. Perhaps once we move to Mass we'll have a better experience.

ETA: Not glad that you felt pushed out, certainly! But glad that there may be better options for families, at least. In an ideal world, we'd all feel welcome.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:41 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,774 times
I think it's wrong to talk about urban Jewish communities being "wiped out". That suggests bad memories from Europe. It's really just a part of the breakup of ethnic enclaves as the immigrant generation dies off and the young people become prosperous and move to the suburbs.

I wonder if you'd do best to find unpretentious towns, and look for synagogues in those towns. Then you'd be able to get an idea of what the Jewish groups within those towns are like. Of course it could be that you'd find people who no longer live there but still keep the synagogue alive, but I assume most of the people would be local. For instance, Malden, Medford and Somerville all have synagogues. How much they're tied to families and whether they'd really make a young adult feel welcome, is another question.

Years ago I worked with a guy who was an electronics technician, who said he was one of the last Jews in Mattapan. Soon after he said that, he made his own move out of the city.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Framingham, Natick, Waltham. There's also the young professional crew (who are moving up, but still quite poor) who live in Somerville.

I come from a middle class-turned-lower class Jewish background and have struggled to find a Jewish community here. It seems like most Jewish events for young adults are geared to those doctors and lawyers - I'm a struggling nonprofit professional who will be struggling for the foreseeable future due to cancer treatment (where the Jewish community failed in offering any kind of help when I reached out for it). I've turned to UUs, where I find many other working class Jews.
I'm currently a working-class Jew and I stand out because I work through college and I'm a Hispanic Jew (Italian Jews immigrated to South America). The religious and affluent side of my family (yet less involved in my life) have shown disdain in the fact that my mother didn't put me through school. One even wrote a letter to me about how upset she was over it.
Well, my mother is a widow and if you really cared you would have helped out.
I too have had trouble finding a community that suites me. Most other working-class Jews I know are not religious and usually live in their family's community (an upper-middle class neighborhood) or in more transient young areas.

Brookline is expensive and very Jewish. The Coolidge Corner section of Brookline, while rents are expensive have a very non-uppity and immigrant friendly vibe.

I'm planning on not being "working-class" forever but I think I will always feel a connection with immigrant communities (1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen.) and other people who have pulled themselves up by their boot straps.

I have noticed here in Brighton Center (a working-class, historically Irish area) there are a lot of orthodox Jewish families. Thats about it.

Let me know if you find anything!

Old 05-08-2012, 05:23 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
The Ethical Culture Society, which meets in Cambridge, has a lot of ethnic Jewish people involved, plus, a lot of the activities are centered around Brookline (where the really old members live). I think the Ethical Culture Society would draw on people from many economic walks of life and from many communities, as it's the only ECS meeting in the Boston area.
I like the Jewish ethical vibe there without religion.
Do differ on Jews being a uppity wealthy group. Quite the stereotype, eh?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:25 PM

25 posts, read 57,963 times
Randolph and Sharon both have reasonably sized Jewish communities.
Brockton once had one but it's small these days. An old Jewish temple on Brockton's East Side is now home to a dollar store, a carpet place and a religious cult

Old 05-09-2012, 05:37 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronibus62 View Post
Randolph and Sharon both have reasonably sized Jewish communities.
Brockton once had one but it's small these days. An old Jewish temple on Brockton's East Side is now home to a dollar store, a carpet place and a religious cult
In downtown Framingham, it's gone kind of the other way. It seems every business is being replaced by some kind of church. The old Friendly's on Union St is now a church for example.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 PM

316 posts, read 723,611 times
Malden still has a small but active Jewish population spread over a few synagogues. You might look up the Mystic River Jewish Communities Project to find interesting information on the history of Jewish people in the cities, most of which are staunchly working class, that lie just north of Boston. Although the Jewish population in these areas has diminished considerably, there are still small Jewish communities here and there, and they might be fascinating places for you to connect to. Good luck!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,119 times
I grew up in Sharon. Not predominantly "working class" per se, but I highly recommend it. Great schools and some more blue collar folk mixed in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts