Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:15 AM

130 posts, read 832,481 times

Advertisements

Hi-

Ok, I feel kind of neurotic being this hung up on the school angle when my kids are both under 26 months old, but ....

Yes, there are test scores.

yes, there's greatschools.net, schooldigger, etc.

But as we know, test scores only tell part of the story.

I'd rather send them to a lower scoring school that teaches to more than just a test, anyway, so...

How do you find out about community/parent involvement? activities provided at school? (e.g. have budget constraints put an end to art? music? etc)

On greatschools, for example, it'll rank a school at a "10", but then you read comments from parents who rate it maybe a 2!

How do you find out the real scoop? Or can you?

ACK!

Thanks in advance, again. I'm sure you guys will be glad when we've finally moved and I quit pestering you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 12:41 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
you really need to research each town and each school and talk to parents in that town... for example... Cambridge has a reputation for not being a "good" district, yet based on test scores I think they are doing pretty darn well given the demographics of the city which is basically either low-income or professional parents. Also there are so many opportunities. Cambridge's answer to bussing was controlled choice based on economic status, not race. You pick your top 3 choices for elementary school and everyone goes to the high school. The elementary schools each have their own "niche". There is a Spanish bilingual school, there are 2 schools that have extended days to 4:30 and one of them teaches mandarin every day, there is a full fledge public montessori school that accepts students at 3, there is a school that focuses on "core knowledge", etc... a choice for everyone. The high school also has amazing opportunities and students can take classes at Harvard, in addition the college placement rate is very impressive....although CRLS does have some students at the bottom still struggling to pass the MCAS. However, the superintedent a few years ago said that none of the failing kids had started in CPS, but had moved into the system from other low performing districts like Boston.

All this is a long winded way of saying do your research. I have friends in Weston that pay a lot in property taxes and aren't happy with the quality of the schools.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:21 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Try checking the web pages for the elementary schools in the towns that you are interested in. See how much information they provide, any links to their PTO, town sports, etc. With children so young, your immediate concern may be with good preschools in the area.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:48 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,488 times
You have to speak with the parents. Look at the investment the town is making in it's children. How old are the schools? Have they been renovated/expanded? Any new ones planned? What are the sports fields like? What extra curriculars/afterschool programs do they offer. In most cases, it's not just the schools. What programs do they have for children? Baseball, softball, basketball, football, soccer, lax, etc. If those are plentiful chances are there is a lot of parental involvement in the schools.
Speaking of which, the more involved you are in your child's education/extras, the better they will do, regardless of the school system. If the teachers and administrators know you are interested an involved, you'll never have to be the squeaky wheel.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:17 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapsco View Post
Ok, I feel kind of neurotic being this hung up on the school angle when my kids are both under 26 months old, but ....
Yes. You are crazy.

Things change.... a new principal or superintendent will change the character of a school easily. I saw a school drop from top 10 in test score to top 40 in test score once a principal retired in only 2 years.

I recall Newton redistricted a few years back... many students were affected (Newton North or South)... Are you willing to move if something like this happens?

There is no way to know what you are looking for. Your decision will be based on people's opinion. I suggest private school. This way you can change if you don't like the school instead of selling your house.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:54 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,488 times
Can it not work in the reverse too, Smarty? If you see a previously good public school going bad, couldn't you look at private schools? Regardless, I see both your view and my "alternative" to be knee-jerk reactions. Most people can't afford private schools and continue to pay taxes to support the public schools.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:37 PM

142 posts, read 660,519 times
Don't depend always on test scores. I know one grade in a small city school whose MCAS ranking jumped based on -one- exceptional student. Seriously.
All of the above are great suggestions. Do the towns you're interested in have an open house at the schools? Why not drop in?
I think an active PTO is always a good indicator. Check the school calendar on the web. It shows a level of dedication that's needed to be successful.
Another thing to check, if the districts offer this information, is where the latest high school graduates landed. How many went on to college? Where did they choose to go?
Extracurricular activities are good, but some schools are too small to offer extras like a marching band. But any good school should have an affiliation with academic organizations like the National Honor Society, etc. It shows a community's high appreciation for their student's achievements.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:56 PM

65 posts, read 251,619 times
I think you're a bit overboard myself. From a guy who grew up in a farming community in Canada to make through M.I.T. on full scholarships - I'll tell you: You're involvement with your children will make the difference. BUT, if you are so inclined here's what I'd do:
1. Look for towns by affluence - find the ones you can afford.
2. Look at the % population married with children - pick the highest
3. Look at the % population under 18 - pick the highest
4. Finally - as just about everyone has stressed - contact people in town.
You'll probably end up with a town that needs to invest in schools as the voting population gives a hoot (aka - have kids in school).

Old 10-02-2007, 08:04 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
If you do #1-4 above, you'll probably wind up in my town and I've been very, very happy with the schools here!

Also, check the school committee website. Lots of good info there.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:29 PM

104 posts, read 172,175 times
As a teacher, I can tell you Brookline is one of the best school systems I have ever seen. Granted, it's a bit expensive to live there, but if it doesn't cause funds to be too extended, it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts