Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:02 AM

6 posts, read 25,040 times

Advertisements

We found a good deal on CraigsList for a place in Chilmark on Martha's Vineyard, but I'm worried in September there won't be much to do there... What's the Vineyard like that time of year? I've only ever been in the summer, but if the island's a deadzone, I'm not sure it's the place for a girlfriend's getaway no matter how good the deal is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,037,293 times
It starts to quiet down quite a bit after labor day. A lot of the shops, restaurants, etc close down for the season not too long after labor day. How far after Labor Day are you planning on going?

My in-laws have a house in Edgartown and when my wife and I were dating we went there for President's Day weekend in February once. A lot of stuff was shuttered for the winter and it was really quiet. However, I didn't feel that there was a shortage of places to eat or shop. It was actually quite a nice change from the crowded island much of MV has become post-Clinton. At least in September, you might be able to use the beach still.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:04 AM

613 posts, read 2,308,469 times
The Cape/Nantucket/Vineyard are still fairly active through about Columbus Day. I actually know a number of people who prefer to go after Labor Day because it's less chaotic. Things start to shut down for the fall/winter in October.

If you're looking big nightlife and lots of people then you may be somewhat disappointed. Some businesses will be closed down, but it won't be a deadzone yet. So it just depends on what kind of atmosphere you're looking for.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:51 AM

Thanks so much! We're aiming for the thrid week in September, so this pretty much confirms what the homeowner said in his email -some places will be closed, or will have fewer hours that they're open, but that plenty of places "down island" will be open for business. Thanks again for the info!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,361,251 times
September is a fabulous time to go to Martha's Vineyard. The water is still warm, the weather is gorgeous during the day and a little cooler at night and the gorgeous window boxes and gardens are bouncing back after the dog days off summer. It's glorious!

I think most people have been predisposed to believe that the Cape and Islands open up at Memorial Day and close after Labor Day. Those days are long gone. September especially is still quite busy and can be just as crowded on a weekend in September as in August. Outside of the beach snack bars and parking lots, I can't think of any businesses that only open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Most businesses that are truly tourist driven close down after Columbus Day.

Many towns on the Cape and the islands schedule special events throughout the fall and into the holidays to bring tourism. The Calendar of Events in the CC Times is full of things to do that are always very well attended.

On Nantucket, the Christmas Stroll and the Daffodil Festival are both off season but draw droves of people. Extra ferries are scheduled and flights are sold out well before the event.

Enjoy your girl's getway! Don't hesitate to book that great deal!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Thanks so much for the information, shiver! We're not looking for huge nightlife, but we'll probably want to go out a couple of nights... Mostly we just want to hang out together and eat and gab and go to the beach. The place we're looking at seems like it would be good for that? I don't know if posting links is allowed here, but this is place: Private Beach, Martha's Vineyard
From the picture it looks like a really nice beach, but I haven't been able to find out much about it from google, mostly just listings for way more expensive rentals!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
September is a fabulous time to go to Martha's Vineyard. The water is still warm, the weather is gorgeous during the day and a little cooler at night and the gorgeous window boxes and gardens are bouncing back after the dog days off summer. It's glorious!

That's really good to know, thank you! from what I find on Google, it looks like it really is a good deal, especially so if mid-September is an extra nice to be on there. I'm feeling lots more confident about it now that a few people have replied, and I'll definitely check out that calendar of events, too - thanks for the tip!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:29 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,037,293 times
Chilmark is a bit further away from touristy/shopping areas so if you're just looking for a quiet place to hang out with your lady friends then this house sounds great!

Old 08-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Thanks again, MikePRU. That's pretty much it... A night or two on the town, and lots of hanging out!

Old 08-04-2012, 05:30 PM

132 posts, read 467,261 times
Just a heads up

Martha's Vineyard vacation rental was a Craigslist scam : The Martha's Vineyard Times

"An Edgartown couple this week found themselves tangled up in a scam perpetrated by advertisers on the popular online marketing site, Craigslist. In two separate phone calls, would-be Martha's Vineyard vacationers have called to say they paid an online advertiser thousands of dollars to rent the couple's Cottle Lane house."

"Never wire funds via Western Union, Moneygram, or any other wire service. Anyone who asks you to do so is likely a scammer.
"Do not rent housing without seeing the interior," the web site warns. "In all likelihood that housing unit is not actually for rent."
Island police departments regularly warn of scams targeting Martha's Vineyard residents, including other rental scams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts