Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:24 AM

39 posts, read 160,983 times

Advertisements

We are new to the area and Im planning a ski trip in February. Our children are under 6 and new skiiers. Can you recommend a kid friendly ski resort in MA or NH. Probably a long weekend trip. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 09:39 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
Bretton Woods is nice. I also always loved Sunapee. Smaller mountain but enjoyable for kids and not as much of a hike to North Conway.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
www.crotchedmountain.com is our local mountain. Nice for kids.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:32 PM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
I'll Third Bretton Woods but it is a hike.

Wildcat has some of the prettiest scenery for any ski area in North America and a great variety terrain for all levels. PoleCat is the one of the longest ski trails in New England (2 3/4 miles) and while it's a green circle and appropriate for all ages, NONE of it is flat (you won't have to climb or "skate" any of it. There lessons programs are small and intimate, and there's a wide variety of beginner terrain so they won't be thrust into stuff that's too advanced once they've mastered the bunny hill. I went there with my family as a kid, and I still go (my family has a vacation home near Sunday River in Bethel, ME and I'd still rather drive out to Wildcat). It's my favorite Mountain in New England. Still family owned and operated so it's cheaper than most comparable mountains and you won't deal with the same sized crowds ( Ski or Ride New Hampshire's Wildcat Mountain Ski Area, Jackson NH in Pinkham Notch ). It's also close to North Conway and it's immediately adjacent to Mt. Washington so there's plenty to do off the mountain.

I'd also suggest Loon Mountain or Waterville Valley which are a bit closer to Boston (straight up 93). Both are fun for all ages and beautiful. Cannon Mtn, a bit further up 93 is also a good bet (nice tram to the top).
- www.loonmtn.com
- New Hampshire ski resorts at Waterville Valley : Welcome
- www.cannonmt.com

Finally, Attitash is big and also fun. It's also close to Bretton Woods, Cranmore, and not too far from Wildcat so you can mix it up if you want
www.attitash.com

I wouldn't highly recommend any mountain in MA for a weekend. Wachusett is good for a quick daytrip, half day, or night skiing, but I wouldn't spend a weekend there.

You could also consider Vermont (I've actually never skiid there, only heard good things) venues like Okemo, Killington, Mt. Snow, Stowe, etc get good reviews. Sunday River in Bethel, ME is nice too. Sugarloaf USA in Maine is great, but it's a hike (close to 5 hours from Boston).

Old 11-08-2008, 06:44 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Irfox hit the nail on the head...

The kids can learn at anywhere, it comes down to what does the adults want? Was there plans to do anything else other than skiing? If you're not even going to ski and sit in the lodge, perhaps Wachusett would be good for you. If you want the best skiing and one of the tallest peaks New England has to offer, Sugarloaf ME is the place. If you want the best value, Cannon is usually the best deal as it's cheaper then almost all ski resorts, by a lot, and has one of the tallest peaks in NH...Waterville IMO is the closest to Boston descent place...

Old 11-08-2008, 05:29 PM

379 posts, read 1,418,838 times
I live here in the ski areas...Bretton Woods, Loon, or Gunstock. Since your children are not in school, I would definitely go mid-week on a non-school vacation week. Keep in mind that NH schools and Mass schools take different weeks off. Living up here I would never ski on a weekend...the crowds are miserable. I used to work at Gunstock and the little kids were free.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 27,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
www.crotchedmountain.com is our local mountain. Nice for kids.

Yea i love crotched....

I live about 15 min for there and its great for kids

Old 12-20-2008, 09:40 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
Before you head North, check out the Blue Hills Ski Area in Canton,MA
for day trips; it could be a great intro for the kids.

Blue Hills Ski Area --> MA Ski Area Featuring...Skiing and Snowboarding!*

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-20-2008 at 10:51 AM..

Old 12-21-2008, 04:52 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Mt. Sunapee has an excellent children's program. They have a dedicated beginner area with a step on lift called the Magic Carpet. When my children were learning the instructors knew them by name even if we hadn't skied for two months.

I would highly recommend this program and the mountain for families.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:16 PM

270 posts, read 1,361,334 times
My backyard ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts