Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:00 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,036 times

Advertisements

So I was speaking with a Texan buddy of mine who had gone to school up here. During the conversation he said to me "your such a new englander." Now usually I don't mind and even like the fact that I am from the best region of the US, but it got me thinking of the stereotypes (some which I am a part of):

- Snooty/Standoffish
- Well off (Banking, Publishing, Law)
- Elite Schools (Ivy League)
- Clever

At least these are the stereotypes that came up in our discussion. I had a few of my own for Texans but I am not going to mention them

So, please add your own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 07:36 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,453 times
Impatient...New Englanders always seem to be in a rush.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:42 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Cheap - or as we Yankees say, Frugal.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:55 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
Arts and craftsy come to my mind for New Englanders.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:22 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,810 times
I know that the Hollywood chiche of New Englanders is often that of pretentious WASP snobs, but I think the reality far, far more often is one of modesty, particularly in matters of taste and aesthetics. This I think is especially so compared to Texans who are known for flamboyance and braggadocio.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:39 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,750 times
New Englanders read a lot more and are less aggressive about their religious beliefs than Texans.

New Englanders are more inclined to listen and Texans tell you what they think (because they know they're right).

Texans are somewhat culturally inclined toward Mexico and Southern California. New Englanders are Europeans.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:25 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
I agree with this to a point. New Englanders will listen, and if you ask, they will THEN tell you what they think. Yup we're blunt and we speak our mind.

We don't say "Bless your heart" when what we really mean is "You're a moron". We just come out and say "You're a moron..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
New Englanders are more inclined to listen and Texans tell you what they think (because they know they're right)

Old 02-10-2008, 03:32 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Genuine New England detests flashy shows of anything, especially money.
I'm a blue-collar person who has come to a nice middle-class income in Massachusetts. I know a lot of "old money" people because I usually work somewhere affiliated with Harvard. Without question, I find that genuine New England old money has real class, that is, modest, not flashy, and attentive to making others comfortable, not snooting on 'em.
That said, there are clunkers in any group.
I do find a lot of reading and intellectual interest, at least in and near the city, which is very nice.

When Copley Plaza opened in the 1980s, there was quite a lot of controversy, as in, "We're not Dallas, it's so glitzy." I still think that.
While there is a lot of education and professional people, I hardly think the average New Englander is in that kind of work.
The aesthetic is sort of the opposite of, say, Miami. Very little Hispanic influence. The second-largest linguistic group is actually Portuguese, and then I think Haitian Creole, at least in the city.
Housing is old. That is considered a good thing.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:35 AM

65 posts, read 378,447 times
Crappy drivers comes to mind. When it's raining and your wipers are on, turn the headlights on people. It's not that hard! Also I've never lived anywhere but here (in the states or abroad) where people didn't stop and let a person parallel park. I'll admit to being guilty on this one though.

My southern family slams New England for being liberal (thank god) and me personally for saying, "I'm going to the Cape." instead of Cape Cod.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:26 AM

735 posts, read 3,500,801 times
...somewhat one-dimensional/geographically challenged . When first coming to the area I was surprised at just how many New Englanders hadn't been abroad, to other NE states, or even traveled at all. Sort of a niche culture/society. I remember running into a family on the Green Line that was from Western, MA headed into Boston for the day. They kept exclaiming, "ok kids- we're headed into the BIG city". "It's a BIG city, so make sure we stick together etc.."

I got to talking with them and through the conversation pointed out that NYC was closer to their home than Boston. They literally could not believe it. They said they had been to Boston once before and mostly traveled to NH to visit some cousins....and that was about it.

Over the years I have heard many similar stories....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts