Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 02:44 PM

10 posts, read 12,580 times

Advertisements

We sent our kids to private school starting in first grade. It was an amazing school and the level of education they received there was so far beyond what their public school frineds were getting. We moved last year, and they had to change schools (going into 4th and 6th grades), but we were moving to a town with topped ranked publics, so we thought it would be ok. Unfortunately, even in that great school system, my kids were years ahead. My 6th grader was being asked to do work that he'd done in 3rd grade at his private, and there were no opportunities for him to be challenged. So we're heading back to private school. The public schools are failing. They educate to the lowest common denominator. The classes are over-crowded, and kids who excel are not encouraged to move forward--they're encouraged to stay in line with their peers. Our publics schools are content with mediocrity.

We're fortunate enough to be able to afford private school and can't think of a better use for our money than our kids' education. And for what it's worth, private school was even more expensive where we used to live. The numbers you quote are not nearly as high as they get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 04:32 PM

285 posts, read 493,210 times
Default Private Elementary School

There are plenty of valid reasons to choose private school for elementary. Parent may send their children to private school if:
  • they agree with the educational philosophy and teaching methods
  • their child needs additional academic challenges
  • their child needs academic support, but would not qualify for special ed services
  • they desire a faith-based education
  • they want a smaller community where everybody knows each other
  • they need a close, supportive environment due to family issues
Depending on where the family lives, the local public schools may or may not be able to meet those needs. If they cannot, then there is nothing wrong with parents pursuing other options.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:04 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
-Weird Christians
- Immensely rich people
- Bigots

Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 PM

46 posts, read 143,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marniejean View Post
We sent our kids to private school starting in first grade. It was an amazing school and the level of education they received there was so far beyond what their public school frineds were getting. We moved last year, and they had to change schools (going into 4th and 6th grades), but we were moving to a town with topped ranked publics, so we thought it would be ok. Unfortunately, even in that great school system, my kids were years ahead. My 6th grader was being asked to do work that he'd done in 3rd grade at his private, and there were no opportunities for him to be challenged. So we're heading back to private school. The public schools are failing. They educate to the lowest common denominator. The classes are over-crowded, and kids who excel are not encouraged to move forward--they're encouraged to stay in line with their peers. Our publics schools are content with mediocrity.

We're fortunate enough to be able to afford private school and can't think of a better use for our money than our kids' education. And for what it's worth, private school was even more expensive where we used to live. The numbers you quote are not nearly as high as they get.
omg you are so rich

Old 11-17-2012, 05:39 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I was born in Manhattan, and went to a private school while we lived there. It wasn't a matter of snobbery, but my parents were very keen that I got to school in the company of other kids who were serious about learning. In city public schools, not all the children are interested in their academics. And being in a private school, none of my fellow students had older siblings playing hooky or hanging out on street corners smoking cigarettes or worse. Anyway, I am pleased with the schools I went to and I have no regrets. I am glad that I wasn't a street-wise kid with a gutter mouth. I was a happy geeky child.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:56 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I was born in Manhattan, and went to a private school while we lived there. It wasn't a matter of snobbery, but my parents were very keen that I got to school in the company of other kids who were serious about learning. In city public schools, not all the children are interested in their academics. And being in a private school, none of my fellow students had older siblings playing hooky or hanging out on street corners smoking cigarettes or worse. Anyway, I am pleased with the schools I went to and I have no regrets. I am glad that I wasn't a street-wise kid with a gutter mouth. I was a happy geeky child.
By the same token the "rich, elitest kids" can get into their own kind of trouble as well. I saw my first POUND of marijuana in the parking lot of the most prestigious school in Boca Raton, FL. In the trunk of dad's BMW 750 was a pound, not an 1/8 that most kids struggled to buy. This kid was going to Cape Cod for the summer and needed "his supply."

FYI, plenty of rich kids not interested in learning/academics etc..........Paris and Nicki Hilton certainly didn't go to the public school!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:50 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
By the same token the "rich, elitest kids" can get into their own kind of trouble as well. I saw my first POUND of marijuana in the parking lot of the most prestigious school in Boca Raton, FL. In the trunk of dad's BMW 750 was a pound, not an 1/8 that most kids struggled to buy. This kid was going to Cape Cod for the summer and needed "his supply."

FYI, plenty of rich kids not interested in learning/academics etc..........Paris and Nicki Hilton certainly didn't go to the public school!
True. However, I'd much rather have to deal with rich kids hijinks than poor kids of ghetto thuggie culture with undereducated parents on welfare and living in section 8 or public housing.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,922 times

Old 11-18-2012, 03:13 AM
miu

We had the METCO program in Concord, and it was a massive failure back when I was in grade school. By middle school, it was too late for those city kids to have the right attitude about schooling or how to socialize in a civilized setting. They missed their friends in the city and were mean and hostile in their new environment. Part of that crankiness was them having to get up extra early to be bussed into the suburbs for school and them the extra time going home. But never did I see that they wanted to excel in school or were happy to be in a "better" school environment. And that I blame on their parents poor parenting skills.

Anyway so many parents go crazy over finding the right pre-school for their children, they want to keep the momentum going on having that perfect learning environment for their kid by putting them into a good private school for first grade and then the rest of their grade school years. Then since on college applications, the high school grades are the ones that count, the lower grade levels become the important preparatory grounds for the high school years since serious students can't make it into the best colleges if they mess up their grades during even their first year or semesters of high school. So just putting a bright child into a private school for their high school years is not good enough.

AND... for many people, some of their closest lifelong friendships start in the grade schools. So socially, it's easiest for kids if they start off early making friends that will carry them through all of their grade school years.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsT89 View Post
There are plenty of valid reasons to choose private school for elementary. Parent may send their children to private school if:
  • they agree with the educational philosophy and teaching methods
  • their child needs additional academic challenges
  • their child needs academic support, but would not qualify for special ed services
  • they desire a faith-based education
  • they want a smaller community where everybody knows each other
  • they need a close, supportive environment due to family issues
Depending on where the family lives, the local public schools may or may not be able to meet those needs. If they cannot, then there is nothing wrong with parents pursuing other options.
I had private/parochial education for most of my schooling. The two years I attended public school were abysmal because I had no idea there were kids out there who didn't care about academics and/or had parents who didn't care.

My parents were willing to pay the financial sacrifice because they greatly cared about education. As a result I was the first college graduate in my family. And yes, perhaps I still could have been had I attended public school all along, but private school gave me that "boost" I know I never would have found otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts