Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,718 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Westfield MA with my husband. We have 3 daughters who are 6yrs old almost 5 yrs old and 1.5 yr old. I personally am DYING to get out of Westfield MA for a number of reason. We have been researching the NY Capital Area and have had ours eyes set specifically on East Greenbush. We like the idea of the NY capital area because the job market in Albany seems to be very good right now and the public transportation system over there seems great. But as you can "read" I am using the word SEEM alot because I dont really KNOW. So I just wanted to get some input as to whether or not that would be a good location to raise a family with plently of family friendly things to do...Basically would it be worth putting our family through such a big move. I also like that we are so close to a major Metropolitan are like Albany where we would mostly get jobs...Dont get me wrong there are some things in Western MA that I have grown to love. I think its more the city of westfield that i want to get out of so if we find that East Greenbush is not a good fit then we will probably look for other places in Western MA. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
I really wouldn't consider Albany a major metro area...from my research, that area is OK but economically not growing at all. and you would have to pay NY State taxes...which are very high. I think Clifton Springs is one of the better suburbs as I recall. Have you thought about Great Barrington? I personally happen to love Western Massachusetts and Massachusetts in general.

I would suggest going over to the Albany forum and there's lot of information on the Albany area that would help you out. And of course, you need to visit there.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Not to be blunt, but I lived in the Albany area for a while, drove through western MA about 120 times... any alternate options? (personal choice here, so just an opinion) Neither.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,416,130 times
What's wrong with Whip City?

Actually I feel as if all the formerly industrial towns in central and western MA (and to be fair, many other regions) have a rather depressing atmosphere, and Westfield isn't all that bad compared to some. It's as if the reason why those places grew to their present size has gone, but they're still there. All those brick mills where people used to make stuff and earn money are sad to see.

One place I always like visiting is the town of Lee. It seems to have a busy atmosphere and it hasn't succumbed to tourist and second-home oriented cuteness. Probably being on the Turnpike helps it a lot.

("Whip City" is Westfield's nickname. It was the world center for manufacture of buggy whips. True fact.)

Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,552 times
Never been to Westfield, but have been 2 some of the major cities east of it, and they are depressing places. I thought Westfield was part of the Berkshires, with a thriving artist community, and a growing population. To me, it looks like a cool place to live but really stuck in the middle of nowhere with major slums close by, just my opinion.
From what i hear Albany is no paradise either..city wise...

Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,100,106 times
For what It's worth Westfield is not in the Berkshires. Also the Springfield area is more populated than the Albany area. Is much closer to other major metros and has more going on than the Albany area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts