Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 PM

8 posts, read 11,279 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband works in Bedford, MA and I work in Marlborough, MA. We are in mid-thirties with no kids. I am looking for recommendations for a good place to live around these areas.
Ideally would prefer something suitable for a couple with no kids who like to go out - restaurants, walks, movies, etc. Rent range is upto $2000 for 2+ beds. A very safe location is a must.
We would prefer a shorter commute to Marlborough, if possible, as I do not like driving and my husband does not mind 30-35 mins of commute.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 PM

23,594 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Maynard.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,544,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Maynard.
Hi there, just checked the stats and while it's still a very low crime place there seemed to be a big jump in crime in 2010? 28 rapes compared to 0 or very low in previous years?
Anyone knows if something specific was going on? Thanks!

Old 11-30-2012, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 15,367 times
Podo944: I think you read that wrong. I think it says 3 rapes in 2010 for a rate of 28.5 per 100K people. I've lived in Maynard for 15 years and believe me, if we had close to 30 rapes per year, we would know it.

Also, the thing to remember with rape statistics is that the majority of rapes are acquaintance rapes. While this does not make them any less awful, it does make them less evidentiary of the safety (or lack thereof) of a neighborhood. If someone gets raped by a friend, relative, colleague, date, etc. it doesn't really tell you very much about the safety of her neighbhorhood.

Since I have lived here I have not heard of a single stranger rape/assault in Maynard. It wouldn't show up in the stats unless it was reported to police and if police were out on the streets looking for a rapist, believe me in this town it would be in the police log, on the front page of the local paper, and EVERYONE would know about it.

Since I've been here I have also not heard of a single house break in or car theft. The surrounding towns are wealthier and the folks have better stuff, so they tend to attract the smarter burglars. There has been a bit of drug activity (pot dealing) concentrated on just a few tiny neighborhoods, there has been shoplifting at a few shops, and fights have been known to break out in some of the downtown drinking establishments but with such a small area, the police are never more than a mile away (usually less)--the police station is smack dab in the middle of our four square miles and most of the cops also live in town. You'd likely end up with one on your street.

Many folks in town don't even lock their doors and all the potential juvenile delinquents know they can't get away with anything because everyone knows who they are (and the police have been known to harass any local youth who look like they are even thinking about trouble).

Old 12-01-2012, 07:57 AM

8 posts, read 11,279 times
Thanks all responding here. I am going to drive down and check out Maynard. Are there any apartment complexes you can recommend in Maynard?

Also, any recommendations for places other than Maynard that we should be looking at too before we decide?

Old 12-01-2012, 08:21 PM

23,594 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamovers View Post
Thanks all responding here. I am going to drive down and check out Maynard. Are there any apartment complexes you can recommend in Maynard?

Also, any recommendations for places other than Maynard that we should be looking at too before we decide?
Maybe Hudson as well (right next to Marlborough), but that might be pushing your husband's commute a little too far (especially if he has to go in at rush hour).

Old 12-02-2012, 01:10 AM

3,890 posts, read 4,544,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amongthevisitors View Post
Podo944: I think you read that wrong. I think it says 3 rapes in 2010 for a rate of 28.5 per 100K people. I've lived in Maynard for 15 years and believe me, if we had close to 30 rapes per year, we would know it.

Also, the thing to remember with rape statistics is that the majority of rapes are acquaintance rapes. While this does not make them any less awful, it does make them less evidentiary of the safety (or lack thereof) of a neighborhood. If someone gets raped by a friend, relative, colleague, date, etc. it doesn't really tell you very much about the safety of her neighbhorhood.

Since I have lived here I have not heard of a single stranger rape/assault in Maynard. It wouldn't show up in the stats unless it was reported to police and if police were out on the streets looking for a rapist, believe me in this town it would be in the police log, on the front page of the local paper, and EVERYONE would know about it.

Since I've been here I have also not heard of a single house break in or car theft. The surrounding towns are wealthier and the folks have better stuff, so they tend to attract the smarter burglars. There has been a bit of drug activity (pot dealing) concentrated on just a few tiny neighborhoods, there has been shoplifting at a few shops, and fights have been known to break out in some of the downtown drinking establishments but with such a small area, the police are never more than a mile away (usually less)--the police station is smack dab in the middle of our four square miles and most of the cops also live in town. You'd likely end up with one on your street.

Many folks in town don't even lock their doors and all the potential juvenile delinquents know they can't get away with anything because everyone knows who they are (and the police have been known to harass any local youth who look like they are even thinking about trouble).
Thank you for the clarification!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:01 PM

513 posts, read 696,146 times
Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but i have lived in Marlboro for 17 years. Marlboro is a great place to live and I would recommend it to anyone. You can definetly get a good rental in a safe neighborhood in your price range though. The ride from Marlboro to boxboro might be a little rough though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts