Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,180 times

Advertisements

I want to make a day trip to the beach this week with the kids.

I have no idea where to go!!!!!!!!!!!! Hampton Beach is appealing because of that playground right on the beach. I think that is really cool. If we went up there where is the best place to park to be near the playground and restrooms? I have been to Hampton Beach once briefly before children.

I thought about Crane Beach. I have never been there but it looked nice from what I could see online.

We are going down to the Cape next week for a camping trip so I am not really interested in going down there this week.

I was supposed to go to Plum Island today with family, but I bailed because of the forecast. They ended up going anyways, but to a beach down in RI instead. I looked up Plum Island and I didn't like hearing about dangerous currents & no restrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 02:34 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Nantasket would be good with the kids. There is a playground on the beach and a carousel across the street. Also ice cream stands, pizza and I'm not sure if it's still open, an arcade. Another option is South Boston. Go to the beach, hang out at Castle Island and a cheap lunch at Sully's is always a fun day for the kids.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:47 PM

324 posts, read 1,090,005 times
wingaersheek is a great beach for kids, better than Crane's IMO. Restrooms aren't too far from the beach, snack bar is pretty decent. Lots of tide pools for little ones to play in.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:38 PM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
I think Lloyd State Park in Dartmouth is perfect. Great beach, shallower, calmer water with all sorts of cool wildlife (hermit crabs, horseshoe crabs, small fish, etc). The water temperature is warmer than the North Shore, and there are trails to walk on right behind the beach. Can't beat it with kids.

Afterwards, check out the nearby Lloyd Center for the environment (http://www.lloydcenter.org/naturecenter-exhibits.htm - broken link).

Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Kelly, where are you coming from, and how old are the kids?

Couple of things about Hampton: IMO, the best beach on Hampton is the State Park, but you've got to get there early--once the lot is full, they close it to more visitors, and don't allow more cars in until a substantial number have left the beach. And there are facilities (showers, changing rooms, bathrooms, sundries) but no playground (that would make it the PERFECT place to go with kids. Instead, there is sand, water, rocks, etc. THE Beach!! Not much for tidal pools though. You'd have to be up closer to the center, just north of the playground for tidal pools/rocks suitable for little kids to explore during low tide (late afternoon this week). You could save this area for the later part of the day, when the heat of the day has subsided--playground equipment gets HOT and the area is not shaded.

Cranes is nice, but the bathrooms, etc. are quite a walk and IMO, Cranes is quite expensive to park. $25 a car may be reasonable to some, but I am a frugal (ie: cheap) yankee

Also, keep in mind that greenhead season has begun!! If you haven't experienced greenheads, be aware that they BITE and draw blood. They can be BRUTAL on Cranes, Salisbury & Plum Island. Not too bad at Hampton yesterday, but I did kill a few in the 3-4 hours that I was there (late afternoon into early evening).

Plum Island with kids is tough. The undertow can be wicked, the waves can be pounding, and the sand is rough. Much better to travel the few extra miles and visit Hampton Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
I want to make a day trip to the beach this week with the kids.

I have no idea where to go!!!!!!!!!!!! Hampton Beach is appealing because of that playground right on the beach. I think that is really cool. If we went up there where is the best place to park to be near the playground and restrooms? I have been to Hampton Beach once briefly before children.

I thought about Crane Beach. I have never been there but it looked nice from what I could see online.

We are going down to the Cape next week for a camping trip so I am not really interested in going down there this week.

I was supposed to go to Plum Island today with family, but I bailed because of the forecast. They ended up going anyways, but to a beach down in RI instead. I looked up Plum Island and I didn't like hearing about dangerous currents & no restrooms.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:57 AM

We are in Charlton, MA. Kids are 3 & 7.

Castle Island is appealing because it's closer than the other beaches & I would like to see the view of Boston & the low flying airplanes. So many options and pros and cons about them all is making the decision of where to go tough! Castle Island is freaking me out because I read that someone found glass on the beach.

Kids want to go tho so I will chalk our trip up to an experience whether it's good or bad. It will be an adventure outside my comfort zone. I'm not from MA originally so there are a lot of places I have never been.

I really want to go today too. Just don't know because it's already 9am and we're nowhere near ready to go & most beaches are 1 to 2 hrs away.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:12 PM

We ended up 5 mins from home at Buffumville Lake Beach! lol Please keep the suggestions coming. I am still very curious to explore a real beach by the ocean.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:41 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
Try York beach in Maine,exit 7 of 95 in Maine(about 15 minutes north of Hampton beach)or even Old Orchard Beach. Also some of the Rhode Island beaches are fun,Narraganset(sp) Misquamicut just to name some. And if you ever have a weekend to kill Popham state beach in Phippsburgh Maine is great. I would try to describe it but an internet search would do it more justice.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Here is some information that I had dug up awhile ago, and saved to put into a blog (which I never actually have finished...) Anyway, maybe the info will be helpful for you or others here:

North Shore Beaches

Some of the best beaches in Massachusetts - from the North Shore's Ipswich and Gloucester, to Cape Cod's National Seashore.
Beaches

Crane Beach - Crane Beach, part of Crane Wildlife Refuge in Ipswich, is a white beach that stretches for miles. Beware of greenhead season, though. The annoying bugs bite and tend to be around late July to early August. Avon Skin-so-Soft sometimes works as a repellant.

Good Harbor Beach (http://www.gloucester-ma.gov/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page &PAGE_id=121&MMN_position=158:150 - broken link) - A popular, although pricey, beach in Gloucester with food stands, bathrooms, and interesting scenery.

Nahant/Lynn Beach - Nahant Beach is a long stretch of ocean with a boardwalk on which runners are often seen passing by.

NESurf.com - This site offers the latest news and announcements about surfing in New England

Parker River National Wildlife Preserve - The scenic area on Plum Island (accessible through Newburyport) includes several beaches, walking trails ideal for bird- and wildlife-watching, and spots for kayaking. Many of the beaches are closed for part of the season to protect nesting piping plover birds. Cost of parking is under $10.

Salisbury Beach State Reservation - A 3.8-mile affordable beach in the northernmost section of Massachusetts. The area allows camping.

Wingaersheek Beach (http://www.gloucester-ma.gov/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page &PAGE_id=121&MMN_position=158:150 - broken link) - A popular, although pricey beach in Gloucester, Wingaersheek's rock formations create small pools perfect for little ones.

Last edited by Valerie C; 07-19-2011 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Sorry if any of the links don't work--I put this together quite awhile ago and didn't verify the links before posting for you

Old 07-28-2011, 08:15 PM

I visited two beaches during our camping trip to the Cape.

Breakwater Beach in Brewster - resident parking only until 3pm. After 3 free parking and sticker not required. HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! No facilities and no water!!! I saw tons of people up on the sand about 2 miles (perhaps only a slight exaggeration) from any water. Crazy! Obviously low tide. I hope it's more fun when the tide is in. Crazy to see boats on sand with buoys attached!

Craigville Beach in Centerville - much better than Breakwater, but not a huge fan. It did have a bath house with an outside shower, changing rooms and restroom. Very old and outdated, but at least it's something. What turned me off about this beach was the seaweed. I'm told it's not always like that and sometimes you go and there is none. The sand is hard on the feet! Highly suggest water shoes. Parking was $15. Not bad at all. I'd return, but maybe not for a day trip.

My neighbor told me she goes to Roger Wheeler in RI. I might try that one out. She said the bath house is renovated and clean.

Please note that the only beaches I have to compare are the South Carolina beaches and the ones in the Caribbean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts