Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,420,069 times

Advertisements

Decisions, decisions decisions. I was offered the job in Andover but as soon as I got back from my trip, i was also offered another position here locally at a bank. What to do now? I have no idea....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 11:44 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Decisions, decisions decisions. I was offered the job in Andover but as soon as I got back from my trip, i was also offered another position here locally at a bank. What to do now? I have no idea....
Congratulations on the multiple job offers. You are in a confusing but very nice place to be in.

I guess with the weather conditions you did not get a chance to see much of our area

Old 12-19-2013, 12:05 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
A great position to be in! I guess it depends on which is a better fit for you career-wise and financially, but also it depends on if you prefer to stay where you are or start a new phase of your life here in MA.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 PM

Thank you guys. Yes, choosing between 2 offers is a great problem to have, a dilemma nonetheless. The local offer is with a bank ( think one of the top 3 banks in the US) and the Andover offer is with one of the top healthcare companies in the country, so basically both are great companies. Plus for the local offer is I already know the area, less stress in my life. Plus for Andover: new area to explore, totally different from VA, however I won't have any help with my daughter and I will have to start a new life, new friends, ect. which can be exciting but also scary. Both offers are good career wise, so this is really hard I a m waiting for the final offer from the Andover company with all the details, that will help me assess both offers better.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Congratulations on the multiple job offers. You are in a confusing but very nice place to be in.

I guess with the weather conditions you did not get a chance to see much of our area
No unfortunately, I did not get a chance to see much as I did not end up renting a car. I took a cab everywhere so that limited my options as far as where and how far to go. I thought the little I saw was really beautiful though. But with the cold and snow everywhere, I wonder wht do people who have kids do year round, I know its somewhat of a dumb question but in NOVA, we are very outdoorsy so kids are outside almost all year , there are festivals, outdoor activities, fairs, lots of stuff for kids to do. What do people with small kids do in MA with the weather being what it is?

Old 12-19-2013, 05:12 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
No unfortunately, I did not get a chance to see much as I did not end up renting a car. I took a cab everywhere so that limited my options as far as where and how far to go. I thought the little I saw was really beautiful though. But with the cold and snow everywhere, I wonder wht do people who have kids do year round, I know its somewhat of a dumb question but in NOVA, we are very outdoorsy so kids are outside almost all year , there are festivals, outdoor activities, fairs, lots of stuff for kids to do. What do people with small kids do in MA with the weather being what it is?

If you visited the Nashoba Valley Ski area day or night any day in winter you would see this little ski mountain and lodge full of happy young ski bunnies. The same hill has tubing, very popular. The rink is another place frequented by the old and young, mostly indoor. There is outdoor skating mostly closer to Boston.

Not sure about winter festivals, sounds like a good idea though.

If you are in the area at New Years, many of the cities including Boston have big first night festivities. There is a parade in the afternoon with all kinds of costumes, ice sculptures and all kinds of entertainment all over the city. It ends with a fireworks finale.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
If you visited the Nashoba Valley Ski area day or night any day in winter you would see this little ski mountain and lodge full of happy young ski bunnies. The same hill has tubing, very popular. The rink is another place frequented by the old and young, mostly indoor. There is outdoor skating mostly closer to Boston.

Not sure about winter festivals, sounds like a good idea though.

If you are in the area at New Years, many of the cities including Boston have big first night festivities. There is a parade in the afternoon with all kinds of costumes, ice sculptures and all kinds of entertainment all over the city. It ends with a fireworks finale.
Thank you. That sounds beautiful I have not made up my mind yet. I have till the first week of January and I keep going back and forth between what i want to do. On one hand, the idea of moving back to New England is exciting but i am scared that it might just be short-lived and after a few months, i will miss all the things DC/VA offers and the cold and snow will drive me crazy with the lack of a social life since i don't know anyone in that area. On the other hand, I am also scared of giving up this opportunity ( not sure if I will get another one) and then after a few months in VA realize that things are more of the same and I need a change, ughhhh. Anyways, thank you all for your help and happy holidays

Old 12-25-2013, 01:48 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
Since you have kid, it is not just about what you want, but what will be best for both.You can go back and forth till you are blue in the face rationalizing whole thing back and forth. We are all been there.
My advice is to check with your gut feel. Some of those big, life changing decisions, are often best made with that initial gut reaction. Does MA feels OK deep down, or it is just in your sights because of the job offer?
Is your job dragging you down, and you are so ready for the change that you will jump on anything and go anywhere?
Sorry for my clumsy advice, but I think that social aspect of being single mom and new to MA is not something to rush to, unless this thing with moving here is "do or die" type of situation. Only you will know.
Good luck with whatever you chose.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
Since you have kid, it is not just about what you want, but what will be best for both.You can go back and forth till you are blue in the face rationalizing whole thing back and forth. We are all been there.
My advice is to check with your gut feel. Some of those big, life changing decisions, are often best made with that initial gut reaction. Does MA feels OK deep down, or it is just in your sights because of the job offer?
Is your job dragging you down, and you are so ready for the change that you will jump on anything and go anywhere?
Sorry for my clumsy advice, but I think that social aspect of being single mom and new to MA is not something to rush to, unless this thing with moving here is "do or die" type of situation. Only you will know.
Good luck with whatever you chose.
I totally agree with you. I actually had another job offer as soon as I landed in VA from Andover, so I was considering both options and the plus and minuses of both situations. The job in MA wants me to move within a month which was tough. After much thought, I decided to stay in VA and accept the other job that was offered to me here. It is bittersweet though because I really looked forward to moving to MA, however realistically I think staying here makes more sense for me, at least for now and I can revisit the MA move at some later date if need be. Thank you so much for your help while I was going through this and happy holidays

Old 12-29-2013, 11:09 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you. I actually had another job offer as soon as I landed in VA from Andover, so I was considering both options and the plus and minuses of both situations. The job in MA wants me to move within a month which was tough. After much thought, I decided to stay in VA and accept the other job that was offered to me here. It is bittersweet though because I really looked forward to moving to MA, however realistically I think staying here makes more sense for me, at least for now and I can revisit the MA move at some later date if need be. Thank you so much for your help while I was going through this and happy holidays
All the best to you and your daughter. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts