Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 02:19 AM

5 posts, read 4,602 times

Advertisements

Can anyone advise on what working parents typically do in Andover / Reading MA for afterschool childcare? Is it typically offered by the school or do parents normally use registered childcare centres? Moving from Ireland so not sure what the options are? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Years back the Merrimac Valley YMCA ran after school programs in several sites including the YMCA in Andover.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Typically all elementary schools in the Boston area have after-school care until about 6pm. It's either run by the town or by a non-profit if the town doesn't provide a program. Certain schools have for-profit childcare centers nearby which offer a "better" (read: more expensive) program after school. If you choose the town-run program it's held at school so transportation is not required. If you choose the for-profit childcare center, you just need to pay for transportation costs and sign a waiver that lets the childcare center transport your child from school to their center. You can search for it online, for example "andover after school program".

For middle school I'm not sure about after-school care. I think kids are old enough to walk or take the bus home themselves by that age.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:14 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,744 times
I don't know what programs are specifically offered in that area, but I was looking into this in my area. I found surprising information that there is free afterschool care available through the Boys & Girls Club. There is an annual membership fee of $25 that must be paid, but after school care is free! Unfortunately, in my area there is no transportation available from the schools to their facility. So it wouldn't work for me. They also have a lot of programs available for the summer months when school is out that are reasonably priced. So check your area to see if there is a Girls & Boys club there. A Mom I know utilizes the club during the summer at times. She says her daughter doesn't mind it as long as she has a buddy that goes too. She said the crowd is a little rougher than she's used to, but she uses it occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts