Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 PM

643 posts, read 1,038,295 times

Advertisements

BOLO for Belmont, Newton men:

Newton man wanted*in fatal shooting of Waltham High student - News - Wicked Local Waltham - Needham, MA

Quote:
Police are asking the public for its help in finding Domingo Mendes, 22, of Belmont and Taylor Poulin, 21, of Newton.

Based on the investigation, authorities have obtained arrest warrants for the two suspects. Authorities allege that the suspects and the victim knew each other and that this was not a random attack.

Mendes is wanted for murder, possession of a firearm and conspiracy to violate drug laws. He is described as a black man, 5 feet 10 inches in height and about 165 pounds. He is considered armed and dangerous, according to the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office.

Poulin is wanted on charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, unlicensed possession of a firearm and conspiracy to violate drug laws. He is described as a white man, 6 feet in height and about 220 pounds, and may be driving a black 2002 Ford Explorer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
The Belmont suspect, I just mapped his address...lives in a brand new low income townhome community more beautiful and new than what most people in Massachusetts live in. Almost in the same neighborhood as Mitt Romney.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:23 PM

167 posts, read 330,213 times
These crimes are going to keep growing, especially considering the rise of heroin use in this state. Heroin is becoming alot more popular in the smaller city and even suburbs.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:25 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
The Belmont suspect, I just mapped his address...lives in a brand new low income townhome community more beautiful and new than what most people in Massachusetts live in. Almost in the same neighborhood as Mitt Romney.

Where is there low income housing on Belmont Hill? Must be very new stuff. I don't read the Belmont Ppaper much anymore though. Edit: Oh, you must mean their new place on the lower hill near Waverly. I forgot they got rid of the nicer/bigger place.

Low income housing in Belmont was still fairly pricey last I checked, but that was ages ago. It used to be set as a percentage of the community median, but again, that very well may have changed. Perhaps I'm confusing that with "affordable housing", they might be different.

Last edited by timberline742; 03-26-2014 at 06:34 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 AM

Timberline, this is the new low income development:

Waverley Woods, Belmont, MA | Davis Square Architects

Looks nice especially from the outside.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:53 AM

Yeah, that's "affordable" housing. Still pretty expensive, but nice. It is near Romney's new house, I forgot he sold the Belmont Hill place.

I guess Belmont has (allegedly) gone to the dogs too

Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, that's "affordable" housing. Still pretty expensive, but nice. It is near Romney's new house, I forgot he sold the Belmont Hill place.

I guess Belmont has (allegedly) gone to the dogs too

From the Wicked Local Belmont (archived):

"A Belmont resident, for requirements of the state’s affordable housing laws, is “someone who currently lives in Belmont, works in town more than 30 hours per week, or who attended school in town within the past 15 years,” Marsh said.

Marsh has received quite a few applications, but “a lot of them don’t fit the exact parameters.”
The income specifications require applicants to fall into a range of salaries from $18,050 for one person to $67,980 for eight people, and there are two types of subsidies, one for applicants who earn 30 percent of the state’s median income and one for those who earn 60 percent."

Old 03-26-2014, 08:08 AM

Ok, those are different than I recall them being. It used to be based on (if I recall correctly) a percentage of the median rent/cost of the area. It has been some time since I looked at it. Perhaps I'm confusing buying and renting though. No biggie.

It came up last when I was looking at the ONeill property proposal (Silver Maple Forest site) and their promotion that it would help Belmont reach its affordable housing goals, but the (proposed) rents on those units were more than I could afford, and I certainly don't qualify for low income housing. Again, that was over 5-7 years ago and those things change.

I wonder what these units cost.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 AM

546 posts, read 1,377,675 times
There is definately a disturbance in the force if the Iguana Cantina is no longer in operation. I was fixing to make a visit there soon. Thank you Goyguy

Old 03-26-2014, 08:56 AM

The MA government wanted more affordable housing in Belmont center and the town didn't comply, so their funds for upgrading including road work have been cut for at least another year.

Belmont Center beautification plans have to wait another year - News - Belmont Citizen-Herald - Belmont, MA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts