Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 04:40 PM

4 posts, read 15,226 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are trying to decide between Wellesley, Newton, Winchester, Needham, Sudbury or Concord. We want to base part of our decision on the elementary schools. I've looked on some websites and found conflicting information. It seems like most of these towns have really good schools, is that the case?? I'm starting to think that any of these towns would have great schools. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 05:43 PM

739 posts, read 2,186,689 times
Massachusetts elementary schools are fairly consistently good in every town. It's like they're all nice to the little ones. The big qualitative differences will come in middle school, a hairy time for a lot of kids, and high school. All of those towns you mentioned are affluent and have great schools.

It's been a while since I grew up in that general area but, Sudbury and Concord are further from Boston, and more homogeneous. Newton is a city, closer in, and bigger, and has more diversity and multi-cultural ambiance - something you should appreciate as being a great advantage for your youngsters in today's world.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:01 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
I'm a graduate of Muraco Elementary school in Winchester and it was ranked the best elementary school in Mass a year or 2 ago, but every school in Winchester is great (Muraco is also probably the most affordable district in Winchester). Really, the schools in all the towns you mentioned are great. I know at least one person whos graduated from Winchester High, CCHS, LSHS, Newton North, Newton South, Needham High, and Welleseley High in the past 5 years. They are all great towns for schools. I think generally the elementary schools are even better than middle and high schools (at least in Winchester).

As willdufauve said Newton is more urban than the others, but it's made up of lots of little villages so you can get a tighter community atmosphere than you would in other cities as densely populated as Newton. Sudbury and Concord are more rural than the rest but very nice towns. Lots are generally larger and the roads are narrow and winding and seem to be filled with deer (hahah a bit of an exaggeration). Winchester, Wellseley and Needham are somewhere in between. Very nice suburban towns. Winchester center is a classic picturesque town center, and there are lots of great parks and ponds in town along with the enormous Middlesex Fells Reservation. Winchester has 2 commuter rail station, Wellseley might have 3. Needham has at least 1 and there is one in West Concord. Newton has the actual T (Green Line) which is very helpful if you live near it. Sudbury is the only town on the list without a train station but they are all in near major highways. (Winchester-93,128,2; Newton-Pike,128; Wellseley-Pike,128; Needham-Pike,128; Concord-2,128; Sudbury-Pike,2)

All these towns are pretty expensive, but I assume you know this.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:40 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Quote:
want to base part of our decision on the elementary schools.
What is your criteria?

Quote:
I've looked on some websites and found conflicting information.
What site? What information?

The Massachusetts Department of Education does not rank schools or districts on the basis of MCAS results.
If you want individual school with percent of student in different catagory. Select school, year, grade,
http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/mcas.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts