Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,948 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be relocating to Framingham in the next couple of weeks. Can anyone provide me some advice whether I should live in Framingham vs. commuting to Framingham?

If you suggest commuting, which towns/areas would you recommend? I want to rent either studio / 1BR, with budget of $1300 max. I do have a car. I am not familiar with how bad the traffic can be. I really don't want to spend more than 25 minutes on the road. But I heard that if you leave pretty early, you can avoid the bad traffic.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 03:06 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
Welcome. To cut on the commute, you will have to stay close to Framingham. Can you be more specific about where is your job located? It will help with suggestions.

Natick is neighboring town that is more expensive but deemed much safer and more upscale that Framingham. I think you would be able to find a place with your budget. Natick could keep you close and give you very nice walkable downtown and stores including commuter rail into Boston.

Hope it helps.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:07 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Fram has a lot of apartment complexes, so does Natick. Depending on where your office is, both may have the same commute time. Most people consider Natick more upscale and it has good schools for people with kids ... but Framingham has good parts too. In general, you should avoid downtown Fram. Also, I suggest avoid having to use the Route 135/126 intersection since that jams up like crazy because of the multiple stoplights and rail crossing.

The closer to Boston (east of Fram), the more expensive rent gets in general. But your commute will be reverse as you go west in the morning. I think your budget should be fine for Natick / Fram... don't know if you'll get anything decent eastwards.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,948 times
Thank you both for the suggestions! Really appreciate it!

Kingeorge, the office will be located on 500 Staples Dr, Framingham, MA 01702.

Mmyj72, do you mind elaborating on downtown Framingham? You mentioned that I should avoid that area... So, was wondering why...

Old 07-21-2014, 02:40 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanya261 View Post
Thank you both for the suggestions! Really appreciate it!

Kingeorge, the office will be located on 500 Staples Dr, Framingham, MA 01702.

Mmyj72, do you mind elaborating on downtown Framingham? You mentioned that I should avoid that area... So, was wondering why...
DT Framingham just looks tired and rundown. It has none of the typical New England feel and is far from the mainstream commercial activities on Route 9... Just lacks an attractive commercial or residential base that would've made the area look appealing.

I know quite a few people living in West Natick that works in Staples Framingham. People like Natick for the convenience of going into Boston (either for fun or if there is a spouse that commutes into Bos). If you live in that area, North side of Framingham, Southboro, Ashland, it's generally safe and the commute will be super quick and easy.

Last edited by mmyk72; 07-21-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-20-2014, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,284 times
Default Re: Framingham

Tanya261,

I was wondering the same about Framingham, although I grew up in Boston and lived there for 25 years. I now live in Southern California, and will be taking a job at 500 Staples Drive in the coming weeks as well. I do not want to live in the city having grown up a portion of my adult like.

I'd be interested in your thought regarding your relocation decision. I'll continue my search efforts however, having grown up in Boston, and I was recently there for the death of a family member; I don't think you want to chance living too far from Framingham even if it 10-20 miles. 10-20 miles might not sound that bad, but sitting on the freeway is a whole another story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanya261 View Post
Hi,

I will be relocating to Framingham in the next couple of weeks. Can anyone provide me some advice whether I should live in Framingham vs. commuting to Framingham?

If you suggest commuting, which towns/areas would you recommend? I want to rent either studio / 1BR, with budget of $1300 max. I do have a car. I am not familiar with how bad the traffic can be. I really don't want to spend more than 25 minutes on the road. But I heard that if you leave pretty early, you can avoid the bad traffic.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:26 PM

520 posts, read 775,494 times
You will definitely have plenty of options in your budget. Can you tell us a little more about what you're looking for? Do you want to live in a big apartment complex, quiet neighborhood etc? Is it more important for you to live in a nice modern apartment or a nicer town? With a little more info, I'm sure the folks on this forum can point you in the right direction.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:38 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,811,944 times
Just don't live at Edgewater Hills on Route 9. Think it has a new name now. While I admit it was about 20 years ago that I lived there, I absolutely hated it.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:43 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Hopkinton and Westborough and Ashland have many nice townhome communities you would not be able to afford on your own, but would if you found a roommate situation in one of these. Usually professional people in most.

Marlborough has many apartments. You need to be careful about the condition of some of these. Some are fine.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:45 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Just don't live at Edgewater Hills on Route 9. Think it has a new name now. While I admit it was about 20 years ago that I lived there, I absolutely hated it.
Very expensive these days too. I doubt the OP could get a studio or 1 BR there for $1300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts