Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,973 times

Advertisements

I am 26, female, and single. I am from Southern Ca and will be relocating. I just got a job in Brockton but If I understand correctly, Brockton is a pretty bad place to live. I'm looking for somewhere with a downtown area for young professionals that isn't too bad of a commute and affordable. I would also like a it to be a convenient distant from Boston or just a train ride away.....Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:40 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,654,669 times
Maybe Quincy?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:16 PM

520 posts, read 776,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Maybe Quincy?
This is definitely the logical, default choice. Quincy is pretty big and has better and worse areas. It is generally safe, but you may want to spend a little time getting a feel for it before choosing a place there.

You may find Quincy to be a perfect city/suburb to meet your needs or you might feel like just about every bad Massachusetts stereotype is on constant display.

A little more out of the box option would be Plymouth. Its reasonably close to Brockton but 45 minutes from Boston. There are commuter rails, but the T doesn't go that far. Plymouth has a nice town center, plenty of bars and restaurants, beaches and just about everything you need. Most people that live in Plymouth probably don't go to Boston too often.

If you are going to be working 9-5ish hours you want to avoid a commute that involves the Southeast Expressway, the stretch of I-93 between Boston and Braintree. It's probably the most congested road in the area.

That and cost will probably keep you out of Boston proper, Cambridge, Brookline, Brighton, Jamaica Plain and other places near Boston with a large concentration of young professionals.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,973 times
Thank you so much! You have been very helpful!

I may be working from 2 locations, one in Jamaica Plain and the other in Brockton. I will be mostly working from Brockton. In the event that should change, do you suggest any cities around Jamaica Plain?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:01 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,654,669 times
Maybe Brookline then, if willing to do a 45 min to hour commute. But, very in demand and very pricy without a roommate. Brookline Village is a nice area to live in for young professionals with some grad students, but fewer undergrads. From there, you could shortcut through JP, West Rox and Dedham so you wouldn't have to get on 95 until the Providence Highway exit.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 PM

520 posts, read 776,605 times
Jamaica Plain itself would meet a lot of your needs. Do you have a budget in mind? The nice parts of J.P. are quite expensive, the not nice parts aren't necessarily so safe...

West Roxbury (make sure there is a WEST in front of it) and Roslindale are other Boston neighborhoods that would be less expensive and have some nice areas.

All of these places are less than 20 miles from Brockton, but you may have a slow commute because of lack of highway access and traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts