Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:55 PM

7 posts, read 12,829 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I know there have been a few topics out there on this subject, however, not sure one specific to my concerns. I am considering relocating to the Boston/Providence area based on a CVS opportunity (Woonsocket). I wanted to get some advice from others that might have similar experience or can atleast provide their thoughts/feedback.

Background:
Recently divorced, mid-30's guy, looking for an area that can offer a chance to meet new people.

I have spoken to a few folks (in RI) when I visited and reading some of the old feedback on this site.

From the firsthand person I spoke with, they mentioned, given my situation that Boston would be the best choice and it coincided with what people on this forum in older threads indicated, which is, the people of Providence are not friendly. On top of that, the person I spoke with mentioned it truly is a small town and everyone tends to know everyone, so you cut into your options of being able to socialize with new people. Plus the options in Providence are limited in terms of going out.

All that said, if Boston is the choice, are there any decent options halfway between Boston and Woonsocket that allow the commute to be easy but provides Boston within a short distance especially on the weekends?

I know price range would be helpful, however, I am certain that if I can learn about the "good" suburbs half way between, I can probably find something in my price range.

Again, looking for feedback, especially from someone mid/late 30's professional familiar with the social aspect. I want to add have not taken the job yet, mainly because I grew up in the south (given my handle) and trying to understand if this area would even be a good fit (Boston or Providence).

Thanks.

Last edited by TX_FL_GA; 03-17-2015 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:30 PM

3,778 posts, read 2,692,075 times
As someone who is basically an outsider (i.e. I am not from New England originally) who has lived in Somerville, MA (adjacent to Boston) and now Providence, RI, I can offer this: in my experience, the people of Providence have generally been more open and welcoming than the people of Boston. However I have some very, very good friends in Boston, better friends than I have made in Providence.

Providence is a much smaller city than Boston, but I think it is a good size. Providence has good restaurants, arts & culture, proximity to beaches, etc. Housing prices are far more affordable in Providence. It's not as prosperous or cultured as Boston, but it has far more going on than some suburb in between. I guess it depends on what kind of place you want. I find Providence to offer a better quality of life than what I experienced in Somerville.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:51 PM

Thanks Ormari. Being new to New England and really to get the experience: culture, people, food, sites, etc.....would you in that case recommend Boston for a newbie first and keep Providence open as an option after a year or so?

I certainly understand that Providence cost of living is much lower than Boston's, which helps in the decision, but, maybe I bite the bullet for 1 year with Boston.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_FL_GA View Post
Thanks Ormari. Being new to New England and really to get the experience: culture, people, food, sites, etc.....would you in that case recommend Boston for a newbie first and keep Providence open as an option after a year or so?

I certainly understand that Providence cost of living is much lower than Boston's, which helps in the decision, but, maybe I bite the bullet for 1 year with Boston.
The commute from Boston to Woonsocket is challenging until you get outside the 128 loop. It's not impossible but it will not be fun. Because of this it is difficult for me to recommend you live in Boston first. There is a palpable cultural difference between Boston and Providence. Did you visit both cities?

Old 03-17-2015, 09:30 PM

I did not get a chance to visit Boston yet, but that is my next plan. I wanted to narrow my focus on the trip.

Would living in those places outside/near the loop (e.g. Norwood, Foxborough, Walpole, Attleboro, Mansfield, Dedham, etc.) be worth it? I don't know what those places are like, they seem like can provide quick access to Woonsocket and still reachable to Boston.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_FL_GA View Post
I did not get a chance to visit Boston yet, but that is my next plan. I wanted to narrow my focus on the trip.

Would living in those places outside/near the loop (e.g. Norwood, Foxborough, Walpole, Attleboro, Mansfield, Dedham, etc.) be worth it? I don't know what those places are like, they seem like can provide quick access to Woonsocket and still reachable to Boston.
The truth is I don't know how difficult it is to socialize in any of those towns, and you indicate that is important to you. All those towns are pretty much suburban. I don't really know much about Norwood beyond the car dealership Automile, nor Walpole. Dedham is closer in and more active but it always seems like I get stuck in awful traffic there. Foxborough has Patriot Place which is basically a mall and a medical center in addition to the stadium. Mansfield is a nice, seemingly sleepy suburban bedroom community. I have friends in North Attleboro though I think it is sleepier yet. Franklin is pretty close to Woonsocket so you might consider that.

If picking one of the 'burbs, I'd pick one with a commuter rail stop, so you can hop on the train to get to Boston rather than drive. You may want to study the MBTA website. Some cities have more frequent service than others. Getting to Boston by car from those places takes time but it is not as bad on weekends as it is during the weekday rush hour commute.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:22 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
You are better off living in Providence. Much more going on for a single guy in his 30s than any of these suburban towns you have asked about. They are good towns for families or perhaps older singles, not young newcomers. It is also much less expensive to find a good apartment in Rhode Island than Massachusetts.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:55 AM

513 posts, read 646,631 times
I would suggest Providence as well. I think it will be challenging to meet people in the suburbs you mentioned, and the commute from Boston to Providence will be unpleasant at best. Providence (especially the East side) is a very nice city and not a bad drive to Boston if you want to venture out on a weekend.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:05 AM

8,022 posts, read 4,692,558 times
Let me add my voice to those who suggest you strongly consider Providence. Were it not for your work location of Woonsocket, it may be a closer call and just a personal examination of whether you preferred the Boston or Providence vibe. But, you need to consider the commute and the impact it will make on your quality of life. 30 minutes to Providence vs over an hour to Boston (on a good day). Being in your 30s and single and living in an in-between suburban environment would seem to speak for itself as a lesser lifestyle choice.

Providence is known to be a young singles mecca. They like it. Many school graduates want to stay. One of the drawbacks is the lack of good jobs, but you seem to have that covered. The people are friendly and open - if you are the same.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:18 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
Another vote for Providence. You'll be happier there. By the time your commute is done it'll be too late or you'll be too PO'd to go out. Providence has enough going on with the minor league hockey and baseball and some arts and junk. I would do Providence for a year and then think about Boston. Forget the burbs you mentioned. Get yourself an apt in downtown Providence.

Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts