Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:22 AM

671 posts, read 900,188 times

Advertisements

Providence probably makes the most sense unless you want to spend your workdays driving, working, driving, sleeping... repeat with little else to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 07:22 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Back a few years ago, I lived in Andover MA and worked for a company in Providence. I knew Providence quite well. I think for a single person in their 30's that greater Providence has all one could ask for. Granted on a smaller scale then Boston but the cost of living and lack of commute makes the Providence area even more attractive.

Try the coffee milk....LOL

Old 03-18-2015, 07:26 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Definitely Providence, great little city and you have the hard part covered, a job.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:58 PM

7 posts, read 12,825 times
Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. It seems the consensus is for Providence with Boston the weekend commute. Overall, I agree, I woould "live" in Boston, but, the week commutes is pretty much going to zap an opportunity of going out until the weekends. In which case, I might as well go with staying cheaper in Providence and make the weekend commute to Boston.

I'll also do more research on the train, because, even on weekends would be nice to take a ride over vs. commuting.

Thanks again to all.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:19 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_FL_GA View Post
Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. It seems the consensus is for Providence with Boston the weekend commute. Overall, I agree, I woould "live" in Boston, but, the week commutes is pretty much going to zap an opportunity of going out until the weekends. In which case, I might as well go with staying cheaper in Providence and make the weekend commute to Boston.

I'll also do more research on the train, because, even on weekends would be nice to take a ride over vs. commuting.

Thanks again to all.
Train service on the weekend is horrible; It's especially bad on Sunday.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:01 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
It's not that bad; about every two hours. You can also drive to the end of the Green, Orange, or Red lines and not deal with Boston driving and parking.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:27 PM

7 posts, read 12,825 times
Any comments about the taxes in RI? I hear they make it almost worth to live somewhere in MA vs. RI.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:17 PM

3,776 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Quote:
Any comments about the taxes in RI? I hear they make it almost worth to live somewhere in MA vs. RI.
Taxes are a very valid concern, and from what I've heard about Texas taxes, they'll take your breath away, RI or MA.

You are considering working in Woonsocket, so you will pay RI income tax regardless of where you live. Income tax is slightly higher in RI, though when I lived in MA, after I got done paying RI, MA still extracted more from me. I'm not sure if Mass rates went down, RI went up, or both.

Sales tax is 0.75% higher in RI vs. MA.

Property tax rates are higher in RI, but property values are generally lower. If you are renting, that should be factored into the rents already.

Both RI and MA have an excise tax on vehicles. It's a dirty little secret. It is a little convoluted so you'll want to research it, but basically people with cars pay it yearly, and those with new cars get hammered on taxes in both places. Even people with older cars can have some hefty bills. Providence has the highest excise tax rate in all of Rhode Island and it is higher than the Mass rate by quite a bit.

You might as well know that insurance is pretty expensive too. Call your company and ask them to run some numbers for you. If you're going to relocate, you're wise to go into it with your eyes wide open. I like Providence, and do find it cheaper than Boston. But it is not free.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:38 AM

8,058 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:
Most comparative taxes are generally higher in RI than Mass unless you choose Jamestown or Little Compton. Property and Car taxes are outrageous in RI and when you factor in the value received for your tax dollar, RI is especially wanting. But, it sounds like since you're going to work in RI, your choices will be less tax dependent than impacted by what is your best commute option. As long as you're going to rent and not buy, consider paying the extra cost of owning a car in RI and live in PVD. I know several CVS employees who do and they love it.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:25 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
It's not that bad; about every two hours. You can also drive to the end of the Green, Orange, or Red lines and not deal with Boston driving and parking.
First train on Sunday doesn't leave until after 11 am. On both Saturday and Sunday the last train is at 11 pm, which doesn't support staying out late in the city. Anyway, you're looking at the published schedule and not the real life performance which is abysmal.

Regarding driving to the end of the T lines- At that point you may as well drive straight into Boston where you can park for $9/day on the weekend. The traffic usually isn't that bad on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_FL_GA
As others have said, you will pay RI income taxes no matter where you live. If you live in MA, you will have to fill out both a non-resident RI return and a resident MA return. It's not a huge hassle but I'm not sure you would see any real advantage to living in MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts