Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 01:00 PM

14 posts, read 18,395 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am trying to explore an opp with a company in Bedford, MA.
I wish to seek the following suggestions from the forum and more details are welcome too

a. We are looking for a safe and nice suburb around the area.
b. I have searched for some rentals in bedford and they are expensive, considering I live in a 2br apartment and paying 900 in rent in Delaware from where I would be moving.
c. What suburbs are generally livable and affordable - I have looked online apartments in Billerica and Burlingotn but the range is closer to 1550 and more which is way higher.
d. We are looking for a nice suburban area and with a budget of around 1300-1400 - 2BR and I understand MA is very expensive.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

P.S: Schools are not really a criteria for us as we are husband and wife as of now.
Also we are looking for good access to Asian(particularly Indian) sundries as we are an Indian family.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 01:13 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Do you really need a two bedroom then?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:16 PM

Yup because we are planning to call our parents and they are going to stay with us on and off the year.
But we are open to 1Br as well, it just that we are in 2Br and have stuff planned accordingly but we can always sell off

Old 03-10-2015, 01:20 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I guess I'd look to Lowell, but its more urban than suburban. For those prices I don't know of good suburbs in the area. I'm sure some others here can be more help.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:21 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Agreed. If your budget is so low, something has to give. It's true that rents are higher in MA, but I'm assuming you're exploring this job opportunity because you're also getting a 5-figure raise. Either rent a 2BR further away or you can get a 1BR in your price range near your work. Try Chelmsford, but if that's also too expensive then you might have to settle for a 2BR in Lowell.

I would give Burlington a hard look though due to the convenience factor and high Indian population there. A 2BR in a professionally managed apartment complex is out of your price range, but you may find a private rental within your budget if you look hard. I have a friend who found a 2BR in Waltham for $1000/mo so it's definitely possible if you are willing to take your time and find a good deal.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:27 PM

Thanks, for your prompt responses.
@Parsec - you are quite right I am getting a good designation as well as as 5-figure salary. But thats the only income and more dependents.
What in your opinion/experience would be a better range to keep in mind in order to get a decent 2br in that area and can you suggest some good properties/areas to live in.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:43 PM

Typically around $2000/mo for a newer 2 bedroom apartment off I-95, that's why we are suggesting you look around I-495 for cheaper rents of $1500/mo or less. Many parts of Lowell are considered suburban, so I wouldn't rule that out just because it's a city.

Once in a while a tiny 2BR apartment will come on the market for substantially below market rate, so that's what you'd be looking at if you wanted to be in or around Burlington at your price range. I'm talking 600 square feet, bathroom and kitchen from the 80s, no A/C or W/D. Personally I would rather live further away and have more amenities, but others prefer to live in a box in order to have a <15 minute commute. You know yourself better than we do.

Typically towns with a lower ranked school system will be priced cheaper than towns with a better school system. Those are the towns you want to target if you have your heart set on living near Burlington. I'm thinking Billerica or Woburn, although Woburn has the advantage of being in a more desirable location at the junction of I-93 and I-95 so rents may not be so cheap there.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:46 PM

I agree. Infact I was planning to explore Nashua in NH but on my other thread in NH, people were of the view that it is a very long commute traffic-wise. It takes typically an hour to do 26 miles, and i am of the similar view that i do not want to live in a small box if 600sft is a 2br i am wondering wat are 1br.
Well it seems Lowell is my best bet so far, however i am looking and yet to find one in my range.
Is the state really high on taxes by the way - like the cost of living is very high in MA?

Old 03-10-2015, 02:38 PM

Our state income tax isn't that high at around 5.2%, but we have a million other little taxes that can add up.

I chose Newark, DE because it was the only city I could think of in Delaware and I chose $100k because it's a nice round number. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Looks like housing is approximately twice as expensive in the Boston area, but everything else is about the same. As long as you can fit the cost of housing into your budget, you should be fine assuming everything else is about the same. Delaware isn't cheap either.

Last edited by Yac; 03-13-2015 at 07:56 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 04:11 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
If you're working in Bedford, MA, every day you'll pay the MA income tax regardless of what state you live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts