Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 PM

9 posts, read 25,899 times

Advertisements

We may end up moving there this summer. We work in higher ed and live in Long Island City, Queens, and are parents to a toddler. What was the transition from NYC to Western MA like for you? (About me: I grew up in the suburbs of Boston but have lived in NYC for over a decade, and have loved raising my son here, even though it's challenging.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 04:09 PM

102 posts, read 232,505 times
Hello,

I was born and raised in Manhattan, left for college in Northampton and dental school in Buffalo, and once I got my DDS I moved back to Northampton. I love it here! Obviously, it's not the same as the city. If you want to see popular bands or broadway shows, you'll have to go elsewhere (though Boston, Providence, and the city are pretty close). And you can walk through the whole town center in like 15 minutes. However, there's a lot packed into this place - plenty of good restaurants (not fancy, but good), live entertainment if you're not too picky, some places to get your dance on, galleries, some nice shops, and more books and yarn than you'll know what to do with. There are also a couple malls within a 20 minute drive if you want to go shopping for brands you're more familiar with or go see a movie. The college (Smith) also puts on a couple great dance concerts a year. Buying things is on par with the city, but housing is much cheaper, and you're more likely to have an actual backyard.

As for the people, they're pretty friendly, especially if you have a point of entry who can introduce you around. Most people are very liberal, mostly young, and there are lots of hipsters. It is a very lgbt-friendly town - many lesbians (like myself), and also a lot of gender non-conforming individuals (I've been to a number of parties where we go around in a circle and state our name along with preferred pronouns). My fiancee has also started to loathe the word "problematic." It seems pretty kid friendly from what I can tell, though I don't have one. There is a playground in Florence, and kids seem to love the swimming hole in Mills River, also the Eric Carle Museum is close by.

That's all I can think of for now, let me know if you have any specific questions.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:18 AM

Thanks waxwolf! We took a trip up there yesterday and it's lovely. Reminded me of a much less dense Cambridge.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:25 PM

130 posts, read 297,176 times
Default Is Northampton a good town to age in place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxwolf View Post
Hello,

I was born and raised in Manhattan, left for college in Northampton and dental school in Buffalo, and once I got my DDS I moved back to Northampton. I love it here! Obviously, it's not the same as the city. If you want to see popular bands or broadway shows, you'll have to go elsewhere (though Boston, Providence, and the city are pretty close). And you can walk through the whole town center in like 15 minutes. However, there's a lot packed into this place - plenty of good restaurants (not fancy, but good), live entertainment if you're not too picky, some places to get your dance on, galleries, some nice shops, and more books and yarn than you'll know what to do with. There are also a couple malls within a 20 minute drive if you want to go shopping for brands you're more familiar with or go see a movie. The college (Smith) also puts on a couple great dance concerts a year. Buying things is on par with the city, but housing is much cheaper, and you're more likely to have an actual backyard.

As for the people, they're pretty friendly, especially if you have a point of entry who can introduce you around. Most people are very liberal, mostly young, and there are lots of hipsters. It is a very lgbt-friendly town - many lesbians (like myself), and also a lot of gender non-conforming individuals (I've been to a number of parties where we go around in a circle and state our name along with preferred pronouns). My fiancee has also started to loathe the word "problematic." It seems pretty kid friendly from what I can tell, though I don't have one. There is a playground in Florence, and kids seem to love the swimming hole in Mills River, also the Eric Carle Museum is close by.

That's all I can think of for now, let me know if you have any specific questions.
This sounds like a good place for me. How is public transport and medical facilities there? What about apartment rentals? Any areas there you recommend to live where you don't have to drive to the grocery store or walk to nearby activities safely? How was the winter there? I've lived in NYC, Wash. DC, California, and now in Virginia and looking to move. I can survive winter and snow as long as heating is not a problem or costs a lot. How long is your winter season and how much snow do you get? Would I be correct to say that weather-wise, it is similar to NYC? Thanks.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:41 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
I can survive winter and snow as long as heating is not a problem or costs a lot. How long is your winter season and how much snow do you get? Would I be correct to say that weather-wise, it is similar to NYC? Thanks.
Well, Northampton is over 100 miles north of NYC, so naturally the winter is colder, snowier and lasts longer. We used to figure that spring arrived 2-3 weeks earlier in NYC. The heating bills can be expensive in a big old house if you burn fuel oil. OTOH, the summers are not as hot, and many homes do not have air-conditioning.

With all the ecology-conscious people around, the Valley tries to have some public transportation options. See the PVTA website: http://www.pvta.com/ ) However, unless you live in the city limits of Northampton, you will probably need a car.

Regarding heath care, the local community hospital seems to be decent: http://www.cooley-dickinson.org/Main...ognitions.aspx However, if I needed very specialized care, I would want to go to a New Haven or Boston hospital.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-05-2014 at 05:02 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxwolf View Post
My fiancee has also started to loathe the word "problematic.".
This made me laugh. When I was getting my grad degree, there was a woman in my program who wanted to "problematize" everything. My politics are definitely on the left, but lockstep liberalism can leave me feeling reactionary! But better to be in a blue state than in a defensive liberal position in a red state.

Thanks again.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:16 PM

89 posts, read 123,905 times
Sounds like a fine place to live, but one concern is as seniors we would like to be near teaching/research hospitals (unfortunately had some bad experiences in lesser rated ones). Also, how is transportation if you don't have a car? Appreciate the feedback

Old 04-07-2014, 03:04 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UL885 View Post
Sounds like a fine place to live, but one concern is as seniors we would like to be near teaching/research hospitals (unfortunately had some bad experiences in lesser rated ones). Also, how is transportation if you don't have a car? Appreciate the feedback
Hello - There are teaching hospitals in Springfield and Pittsfield. The research hospitals are in Boston (100 miles away) or New Haven (83 miles away).

There is a bus system in Northampton which mainly serves the college students. See the routes here: http://www.pvta.com/NorthamptonMap.php However, I personally would not want to try to survive without a car. Perhaps others can contribute their personal experience.

I was born in Northampton, and love it. I think it is a good place for an active senior to retire to, if you can plan to deal with the snow. There are some condos where they do snow clearing as part of the condo fee.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:58 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
I come from the Northampton area but no longer live there. As goldenage1 said, there is no public transportation. Just the college buses which people can take but they don't really go where you want to go, they don't run when the colleges aren't in session, and you'd be in with a busload of college kids. I never used it.

The hospital is Cooley Dickinson. I always thought it was pretty good but in older age, I don't know. There is Baystate Medical in Springfield and I've heard good and bad. The best hospitals are in Boston but personally, I never knew anyone who went to a Boston hospital, 200 miles away. I don't even know if local doctors can get you admitted to a Boston hospital.

There is a lot of alternative healing--can be a bit much--crystal healing and so on. As long as it is not too extreme, it can be helpful, I think. It's a college dominated area and caters to college kids mostly. The upside is that seniors can attend events at the colleges and there are a lot of educated people.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:10 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,101,033 times
Just a little side note.....Northampton to Boston is under 100 miles. 200 miles would put you in the Atlantic. Or New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts