Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,800 times

Advertisements

Hi...my husband, newborn, and I are moving from CT to MA. We are looking to spend about 650 - give or take a bit. We would like at least a quater of an acre and a colonial - old or new, we're open to both. He will be working from home most days but will need to fly at least once a week - thus, our only geographical requirement is to be within 20 miles of Logan.

Ideally, we want to be somewhere safe, good schools and with a cute, walkable downtown.

Currently, Andover seems to fit best for us...but I was hoping some of you could offer some alternative suggestions in our price range.

Thank you SO much!! K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 04:46 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wathcintheriverflow View Post
our only geographical requirement is to be within 20 miles of Logan.
In this area you should not be thinking so much of 20 miles to Logan as X minutes to Logan. Miles as the crow flies are much different when driven because of the set-up of the roads.

Andover is a great town but I think it's a bit more than 20 miles to Logan. Another northern possiblity a bit closer is Reading, which has a cute downtown. I know less about the schools.

With the Ted Williams Tunnel, these days the easiest access to Logan is from the Mass Pike and the west. It seems to me that going a few miles farther out on the Pike would still get you to Logan faster because at most times of day the Pike eastbound is quick, and even at the rush I don't think it's as bad as 93 or coming from the south. A lot of the towns directly west are more expensive but Hopkinton and Southboro are very nice and more affordable.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,189 times
Winchester, Marblehead and Ipswich are some of my favorites not too far from the airport. They all have half decent downtowns.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 PM

4 posts, read 16,012 times
well if your looking north shore lynnfield is a small town thats about 20 miles you would find land there and also there public schooling is very good... im pretty sure you could find nice colonials seeing as i only live a town over and have seen really nice houses in lynnfield. It is considered a snobby town just to throw it out there especially having worked with people from there. Burlington is also a very nice town just a little bit farther but still part of middlesex. I would agree to consider minutes to the airport rather than miles because you are not gonna make it from 93 north heading south to logan at 7am in 20 min like you would in the afternoon or later at night. hope this helps.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 PM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
For $650K, the OP could live in a lot of places. I agree that airport access is a breeze since the Williams tunnel was built. I live west on Rt.2 and have never found the airport so accessible as going to to Pike and just sailing into the airport. That said, with $650K to spend, how about Concord? An easy hop to the Pike via 2/128, history and downtown to the max.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:28 AM

735 posts, read 3,501,333 times
I agree- with $650K, you have MANY options. I also echo that a 20 mile radius means nothing around here. You need to find an efficient commute. It also depends on the time of your commute to Logan. If it will be off hours, then you really have nothing to worry about. But if it will be during rush hours then you need to be careful. North and South communities will have the toughest commutes.

I personally would recommend looking in Metrowest first- off the Pike.

BTW- Andover is just over 25 miles from Logan. Keep in mind that Rt 93 is the main artery for all of Northern MA and NH commuters into the city.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:10 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Winchester, Ipswich, Marblehead, and Concord are all good. Ipswich is a bit farther away though, and though Marblehead is close the roads there can be slow at times. You could probably do well looking in Concord.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,653 times
Just since you mentioned Andover, have you checked out Boxford? It borders North Andover and is a gorgeous town. As already stated, you will do very well looking for a nice $650K home. Lexington is also another good option. It's got plenty of colonials and the downtown area is really great. Lots of shops, restaurants, very nice common area. The towns surrounding Lexington are also very nice - Bedford, Concord, Lincoln.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:56 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
Check out towns with access to the Pike. Since they finished (sort of) the Big Dig, it's a breeze to get from the Pike all the way to Logan. No more surface streets.

Wellesley, Needham, Westwood--even Medfield and Dover (Wellesley and Dover might be tough @ $650 though)

Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,996,700 times
Can hubby get where he needs to go from T.F. Green Airport in Warwick RI? If so.....much better airport and more options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts